Pentil Woods Nest - Sear Fixed GF1

So I was doing some digging in the files because I was curious about what that nest in Pentil Woods does, and found out about Sear.

Being bored with the virus and whatnot, I changed a little bit of Jaffee's dialogue in Pentil to reference Sear, and then activate the encounter when you next visit the nest.

I THINK he's overloaded on text, because I couldn't change much or even add a third text line without getting an error, but it could be my own error.

However, this does work in my own game.  You don't get any quest rewards or special gear or anything, but hey, the nest does something now.

If this doesn't work for some reason, lemme know and I'll try to fix it.  No promises though.

Just drop this right into your Scripts folder and that does it.

Fight Sear

Be sure to create a backup copy of your game before installing this script. This is to make sure you can restore the original version of your game should something go wrong!

Edited by 42wolfe42
Reminder to make backup, game version

Hello 42wolfe42,

That’s an interesting little discovery you’ve made! I’d always assumed that nest was placed there just for the atmosphere, so it’s nice to learn that it was once intended for another function. And putting in a little script edit to activate it is a nice idea!

Generally speaking, it’s usually a good idea to remind people to back up their game before installing script edits, particularly if you’re not completely sure about the content you’ve uploaded. If you check other posts on these forums offering scripts, you’ll usually see people put in a little warning in the first post. I’ll add one below, slightly emphasised so it will catch the eye, so you don’t need to worry too much this time – just remember to put a warning like this on any future posts where you share scripts!

Be sure to create a backup copy of your game before installing this script. This is to make sure you can restore the original version of your game should something go wrong!

Otherwise, welcome to the forums! It always nice to see people finding new things in these games, and who are happy to poke around and see what they can find!

1 hour ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello 42wolfe42,

That’s an interesting little discovery you’ve made! I’d always assumed that nest was placed there just for the atmosphere, so it’s nice to learn that it was once intended for another function. And putting in a little script edit to activate it is a nice idea! --

Thank you for this, I completely forgot to do that.

Just for peace of mind, the script does function in making Sear show up once you've talked to Jaffee.

The part about him being "overloaded" was because initially I was going to add a few lines of extra dialogue, and maybe a new page or two for a specific dialogue before/after you beat Sear, but any more editing to what I've already done keeps throwing a "too many strings" error.

My end goal was to restore this rather than create something new, so far, and Jaffee seemed like the best choice due the parts of text referencing the smell of sulfur.  I would have liked to make a whole thing about how like Sear was one of the first Fyora he tried to tame and he's since learned from his mistakes, but Sear retained the craftiness and that's why its stayed alive for so long and whatnot.

Maybe in the future I'll see about adding an assistant to Jaffee in that area and he tells you about it, since Jaffee would be to ashamed from his failure to want to bring it up.