Bahssikava with two member party?

Warrior Mage

Hello guys, I have been thinking about replaying Bahssikava with a singleton or two member party. Is this possible with level 35? Absolutely no. Then how? Maybe start with level 50 priest trained well on nature lore, arcane lore, bows (I like using them), parry, alchemy etc.., and a slith mage additionally trained in pole fight skills. What do you think? Can you finish Bahssikava with a single or two member party? Put your skill suggestions and post, you may even take this as a challenge! But not more than level 50, put your skills down!

It probably could be done with a level 50 two-member party if you gave them both warrior skills and spellcaster skills, as long as you gave them key items (e.g., both have Adlerauge) and made use of every exploit (e.g., both have Divinely Touched). But it would involve a lot of saving and reloading, and I can't really imagine why a person would want to do that.

Hmm... whatever tough it is, why can't one try this when one try main Avernum games as a singleton with the freaking torment difficult which is ... heavily difficult for me and I wouldn't try, but this seems possible in normal mode and I am going to start up and try with level 51 duo. I used to save very frequently and keep many backups. I may finish it too... Let's learn the difficulty, also Pheadra is with us.

Hello guys. I am going to start this plan today. But, I forgot about a fact that Bahssikava is impossible with a singleton because of the charm in Bahssikavan Tunnels. But, I am going with a duo. I am also thinking if I should use nephils or sliths because I want their bonuses but it delays my level-ups. I prefer to go with humans.... but I'm confused. And, this is the only scenario I will try this. I will get 35 healing elixirs, 5 curing potions, 10 heroic brews, 5 invulnerability elixirs, and 10*2 energy elixirs for sure. A priest archer(bows are my favourite and I will train sharpshooter too) and a mage melee fighter (I want to get blademaster which will happen in the midst of the scenario). And, also I have another doubt, if I choose custom type, will I know atleast basic spells at start and I doubt if there is a teacher in the Temple of the Goddess? I think I have to use character editor, am I right? I am in a need of adequate spells and its levels for level 51. Also, thank you for the HLPM. Clear my q's if possible. It will be also good if it's possible to upload screenshots here.

Edited by Warrior Mage

6 hours ago, Warrior Mage said:

But, I forgot about a fact that Bahssikava is impossible with a singleton because of the charm in Bahssikavan Tunnels.

That is incorrect. Kelandon is a better designer than that! Bahssikava makes allowances for all party sizes and compositions, including singleton parties. This includes adapting certain fights, such as the one you mentioned, and even suitably changing the text to refer to the player in the singular. It says as such in the Readme.

There is no reason why Bahssikava cannot be played by a singleton party. You are mistaken.

I hope you don’t mind if I give you some friendly advice, Warrior Mage.

This isn’t the first time you’ve written something a little misleading on these boards. Unlike certain social media channels, what you write on here stays easily accessible – and findable on internet search engines – for very many years. From now on, whenever anyone interested in doing a singleton run of Bahssikava searches the internet for information, they are likely to come across your post. They will read – on the official forums for Blades of Avernum – someone stating categorically that Bahssikava cannot be completed by a singleton because of poor coding (and you do use the word ‘fact’). Readers may be put off by that, and I imagine some would simply discount playing with a singleton party altogether.

Now, of course that wasn’t your intention! You no doubt just made a slight mistake. However, by that small act of carelessness, you might end up negatively impacting on the experience of other players.

So, please can I encourage you to check your facts before posting. If you can’t check your facts, then please make it clear that you are expressing an opinion or belief only. Little phrases such as ‘I believe that ...’ or ‘I suspect that ...’ go an awfully long way! :)

Hmm, yeah. That was just my opinion and I am really sorry for exhibiting it like a fact. You know, I am like this but I'll try to correct these flaws. For sure and I like advises, I take them as you know what was my first ever post in this forum. Ok then. But... isn't there anyone answer my questions? I don't know how to upload screenshots into this forum. Help me please.

Edited by Warrior Mage

9 hours ago, Warrior Mage said:

And, also I have another doubt, if I choose custom type, will I know atleast basic spells at start and I doubt if there is a teacher in the Temple of the Goddess?

If I remember correctly, if you train a character in Mage Spells or Priest Spells at character creation, the character starts by default with some of the lower-level spells. But this is something you should just try in-game. It's an easy thing just to test for yourself so you know the answer.

Ooh, but well. I... why am I forgetting important things? I planned to buy armors, helms, rings and the like adequately in the HLPM but I didn't even think that there would be spellteachers over there. However, I trained well on those and now I made my L52 party ready to enter the scenario.

2 hours ago, Kelandon said:

If I remember correctly, if you train a character in Mage Spells or Priest Spells at character creation, the character starts by default with some of the lower-level spells. But this is something you should just try in-game. It's an easy thing just to test for yourself so you know the answer.

Also, custom characters don't instantly get spells on skill points. We should buy for non preset character types.

3 hours ago, Warrior Mage said:

Also, custom characters don't instantly get spells on skill points.

Again, I needs must disagree with you, Warrior Mage.

As Kelandon mentioned, all characters that are created with some levels of Mage or Priest Spells gain some free level 1 spells. This is irrespective of the type of character – even Custom characters get these spells. A Custom character is nothing more than a character with no points assigned. There’s nothing else special about the class.

The number of spells you gain depends on the level of the appropriate skill (although no additional spells are given after you pass level 6). You can gain a maximum of 8 or 9 free spells per class depending on your choices.

This is a useful mechanic, and can sometimes be used to save money and make things a little easier in the early game. It depends on the type of scenario you’re playing!

10 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

All characters that are created with some levels of Mage or Priest Spells gain some free level 1 spells. This is irrespective of the type of character – even Custom characters get these spells. A Custom character is nothing more than a character with no points assigned. There’s nothing else special about the class.

But, I saw with my two eyes. My two characters started with Mage/Priest Spell skill of 0, and after I trained them after levelling up in HLPM, I had to buy every spell including healing level 1 and bolt of fire level 1! 

I have to make a new duo today as yesterday's duo was followers of Thsss planning to destroy Bahssikava, and I had to kill them. (Humorous, right! ) The reality is .... when I created my custom duo, my first character started with Str-2, Dex-3, Int-2 but my second started with Str-8, Dex-9, Int-8! (The numbers are my rough guess as I don't know the exact right now.) I don't know how the hell he did got this much skill and he is a human! I didn't even give traits to him. Can anyone tell me how this happened? I had to improve his skills to 16 where 9 was enough for my first character to get extra skills. I didn't even equip him anything powerful.

However, I don't want one of my characters to be unevenly powerful. So, I am going to create a new duo today and check their skills.  

I suspect we may be talking at cross-purposes. I think Kelandon and I were fairly clear in our explanations, so it’s possible you’re misunderstanding a certain point about the game mechanics.

There is a difference between character creation and character training. Character creation happens right at the very beginning of your time with a party. This occurs when you select a new game, and you are presented with a screen in which you define your party. This is the same screen, incidentally, in which you set the character type for each party member.

When you’re creating a character, in the same screen, you can click on ‘Edit Statistics’. In addition to allowing you to add traits, this also allows you to spend skill points to improve your party. This is the case regardless of your character type. If you select a Custom character type, you are given a full set of skill points to assign to your character as you see fit.

The idea is that you assign these skill points before you start the game. Otherwise your new party will have negligible skills, and will be extremely weak!

If you assign Mage and Priest Spells to a character on this screen, they will have access to the level 1 spells described in the posts above. If you think about it, it makes sense. You’re creating a character with a past, one that you only start interacting with when you create the party. If these characters have trained in magic in their past, they are going to know some spells. By contrast, if you teach them magic within the game, those spells are not just going to crop up out of the aether – they need to be learned from sources that can teach the information to you!

All of this is different from character training. This happens after a party is created, and is something you do during the game itself.

The problem, then, is that you are not assigning points to your characters during the creation process. Maybe you’re doing that because you want to spend all your points at once, but it’s also making life more difficult for you – including the need to teach yourself basic spells!

Yeah, yeah! You're right Ess - Eschas. I am used to not train during creation even in the trilogies. However, due to the thing I mentioned I have to create a new party today again! 2 days will be lost in creating parties itself??? Crap. But, it's OK if my party comes out good. I have also posted a message in editor forum. See that too! Have a good day!

Edited by Warrior Mage

• 1 year later...

Warriors with Assassination and Lethal Blow are most effective vs the enemies there, also since priests are necessary for heals and buffs, I'd suggest having two warrior priests as 2-pc party.

Bigger parties are better in my opinion, because you have access to more utility skills, like Arcane/Nature Lore, Tool Use, etc..

Anyway, I couldn't play Bahss without Blessing and Radiant Shield spells or at least one warrior using Assassination and Lethal Blow.

I found ranged weapons pretty ineffective, since even enemy spellcasters have a ton of HP. What you need is something to protect your party while having sources of heavy damage. Also - Cloud of Blades makes priests very potent vs high HP enemies!

Mages aren't bad, in fact summons and Arcane Shield are very useful, although damaging spells (thinking of Fireblast) do their job, they cost too much to use all the time.Can't remember how useful utility mage spells are in Bahss atm..

Edited by Mr.TiC
added a few sentences