Geneforge 3 Khyryk Rebel Side

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: I'm not 100% certain, but IIRC how GF3 works is that if you help the rebels on either Harmony or Dhonal's, you can get into the center building in Stonespire and help them on Gull; whereas you don't need to have helped the Shapers before to be able to get to Khyryk and help them on Gull. And then, in either case, which side you help on Gull locks you into that side's endgame on Spears. So you can have helped the rebels prior to Gull, and pull back and spare and side with Khyryk, which will put you on track for the Shaper endgame; but then you must kill Khyryk to continue on the rebel path.

Edited by googoogjoob

What I ended up doing was accepting Khyryk's quest on saving the shapers (while heavily alligned with the rebels) just to obtain the Ornkskin Gauntlets (bless them). I found out if you kill the shapers inprisoned, Khyryk disappears from the tower, and the rebel questline doesn't continue, (because Khyryk disappeared without him being killed by your hand) which results in a softlock state. He disappeared but I'm not sure if he reappears somewhere else. Regardless, I reloaded a save, got the gauntlets, and went back to kill Khyryk, as much as it pains me to say so. Those drawings of the young Agent he keeps under lock and key gets me crying.

The words of a certain Klingon rebel ambassador come to mind here: "Remember this well. There shall be no peace as long as Kirk Khyryk lives!"

I experimented with this a fair bit back in the day, and as best I could tell, it is impossible to advance the game as a rebel without killing Khyryk. Whether he lives or dies seemed to be the one and only factor in whether you are treated as a rebel or loyalist upon reaching the Isle of Spears. You may  say the most pro-Shaper things imaginable to everyone you meet and slaughter every rebel you find--including every rebel on Gull--but if you then turn around and kill Khyryk before sailing to the Isle of Spears, you'll be a rebel for the endgame (though in the ending the rebels may not like you very much...). Likewise, you can try your hardest to be pro-rebel before Gull, saying pro-servile things everywhere, taking the rebel side in every quest, but if you click that boat icon and sail to the Isle of Spears while Khyryk yet lives, you'll get the loyalist endgame (though, again, in the actual ending you may be called to account for your many pro-rebel deeds...).

Amusingly, it's safe to murder Khyryk if you first go the Isle of Spears and lock yourself into the Shaper endgame. Then you can return to Gull and kill him and you'll still be considered a Shaper, and the ending, not accounting for your  treachery, will talk as if Khyryk is still alive. LOL.

2 hours ago, Vinlie said:

It's kind of inconsistent with G4's story because in the Fens, Greta sends you to rescue Khyryk, claiming it would be nice to see a friendly face, which wouldn't be the case because in order to be accepted into the rebels ranks, he must die. 

I don't recall that. After all, Litalia is strictly anti-Trakovite in GF4 and gives you missions to go kill the trakovite Drayk that harms nobody.
PS. I won't give major spoilers over GF5 in case someone that reads that hasn't played through GF4-5. 

Edited by alhoon

9 hours ago, Vinlie said:

It's kind of inconsistent with G4's story because in the Fens, Greta sends you to rescue Khyryk, claiming it would be nice to see a friendly face, which wouldn't be the case because in order to be accepted into the rebels ranks, he must die. 

I can confirm that this is true. I'm replaying the geneforge series and currently doing G4. I just got the mission from her 5 minutes ago to rescue him from Monarch. *confusion intensifies* 

If you have Greta with you on Gull Island, Khyryk is the one who teaches her better spells, improving her attacks (although having Greta with you means you're rebel-aligned, and will probably end up killing him). Then, too- although this is only really evident in hindsight from 5- much of the non-Drakon rebellion must've been drifting towards Trakovitism by the time of 4, as an alternative to the Drakons' domination. So I can buy Greta as having some lingering fondness for Khyryk, even if they've happened to end up (ostensibly) on opposite sides of the war.

Whatever happens to Khyryk in 5? I've only played through 5 once because I'm not particularly fond of this Geneforge (mainly because of the aspect ratio, it's too zoomed out for my liking). and i don't recall Khyryk being in that game, although I might've missed it it's been awhile

2 hours ago, Vinlie said:

Whatever happens to Khyryk in 5? I've only played through 5 once because I'm not particularly fond of this Geneforge (mainly because of the aspect ratio, it's too zoomed out for my liking). and i don't recall Khyryk being in that game, although I might've missed it it's been awhile

99% sure he's not in or mentioned in 5 

Well, if we go for major spoilers into Geneforge 5 Trakovites... 

Litalia probably did him in. She didn't manage to do it in the rebellion of the Ashen Isles (despite what happens in that game, in the official timeline he's alive in GF4) but the crazy $$$$$ probably did afterwards. Have you ever seen a Trakovite haven with as many creations (and most of them top-tier!) as in Litalia's Trakovites? She has gone completely bonkers and genocidal again. So, she probably eliminated Khyrik soon after leaving the Drakons.

And she probably did it using Creations. 

It would've been neat to see Khyryk in 5, as he's one of the most interesting characters in the series. Maybe in the remake...

I don't think there's any reason to assume him dead as of 5. You last see him in 4 in the Grayghosts, on the opposite end of the continent from the events of 5; given his distaste for both major sides of the war, and his reluctance to commit himself to joining anyone, I think it's at least equally plausible that he might've set up for himself somewhere in the wilds, using his Shaping and magic abilities to hide out. He's powerful enough that I imagine he could fend for himself like that for quite a while, if he managed to stay hidden: he was able to shrug off Monarch's magic and slip out of his heavily-guarded base with ease. Alternately, he could've finally given in and formally joined the Trakovites. In this case, since they operate such that no member is generally told about the missions of other members, there's no reason Litalia or anyone else in the base would tell you about what he was up to.