Wish list for BoA

Wynydis

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is this : we all have now at least a 15 inch monitor or even better, right? Those monitors can display up to 768*1024 pixels, right again?

So why not give a little more space on screen to the game? If you had a - let's say - 600*800 playing area, it would be more comfortable and should also look more professional.

The graphics need no change, just the size of the window. imagine the advantage of it : a better view of the battle field, no need to scroll to find your ennemies (sometimes I had to run around in circles to find the last enemy hiding off screen) and in town, a better way to know where you are.

Another thing that could be nice is a way points system like in D2, this to avoid loosing time wandering between towns. One town/one WP (I often forget where a town is, or in which town a quest started, so imagine the mess with several quests going along).

Two weapons is useless, I like it, but it has no reason to exist if it unbalances the game.

Another cool feature would be an empty slot in the PC slot to keep a summoned creature in the party. I mean here a useful one like a familiar for a mage.

Maces and swords? Once again, useless if a mace is not better against undead, I'll never use it.

New spells? Well, I liked the idea of the nether spells in Nethergate. The fact you CAN NOT have them with the editor is really nice. You have to FIND those spells and they shall remain mystery if not.

Something that offers a decent protection for the magic users would be nice, it might be rare and/or expensive, but definitly it should exist. Having to take of your armor to cast light or open lock is really frustrating. Of course, as BoE allowed us to create items, I suppose I still can create this... Anyway if encumberance affects a mage, it should also affect a thieve. :p

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Jeff is unlikely to program a new window. Besides, being able to see farther would make the game slighly easier.

2. If scenario designers want to have quicker means of transportation, they can add that themselves. It's not difficult.

3. Two weapons will not be included.

4. Maces can be included, but they will still have the graphics of either swords or polearms and be treated accordingly.

5. There won't be nether spells, although some designers may make special 'spells' that may work even better in BoA than they did in BoE. There will be two new spells, though.

6. Designers can make any equipment they wish. If you don't find what you want, you can make your own scenario just to give your party that item. And since the sneaky skills don't really require much dancing around, just manual dexterity, encumberance shouldn't matter much.

—Alorael, who doesn't think a wish list will do much good now. First, Jeff is probably significantly into the programming now. Second, he doesn't like our suggestions anyway.

Quote:
Originally written by retroppus bewredips:
All I would like to see is the ability to drop items where you wish (cabinets, crates, bookshelves...), and the ability to change the names of the months and year in your scenario. It could add a lot to the plot and would make many scenarios more unique, at least in one respect.
I heard that Jeff has already said yes to that and is puting it in BoA. Just check my post about that. I forgot the exact name, but it had something to do with it.

OK found it. I brought the post to you-
Quote:
Originaly written by The Almighty Doer of StuffI had sent him an email with Necris Omego's idea quite a few weeks ago, actually, after he suggested it in a topic, if anyone remembers. He said he will put in the ability to drop items on adjacent spaces and put things away if he has time.

My biggest wish for BoA - that the New Scenario released by Jeff goes more into the details of the planet/the Empire's history/something significant to the Avernum universe. Like Za-kazi run- sure, it's deemed by many to be the worst thing Jeff has ever released professionally, but it goes into the post-Avernum 3 state of Avernum. Namely, the Second Slith War. Sure, the Fourth Scenario will be chalked full of uniquely BoA features, but seeing something important happen or revealed would be nice.

Your BoA anticipating maniac, Necris Omega

Hah Drakey, I'm aware of that but I meant in a playing form. I realize I should have been more specific. Yea I'm quite aware of the history of this "universe". My scenarios will actually show my version of some bits of history. WHAT I MEANT was that I wanted to see how other users interpreted this grand-scale place of wonder. Sorry for the confusion.

Well that's you. Some of us prefer to play role-playing games as, amazingly, role-playing games. Not just action games. Don't get me wrong, I love action games. But to me, an RPG has to have much more depth than how much damage my sword is going to do. And usually, a living, evolving world helps to create that feel of... uh... something...

Quote:
Originally written by [E.E.P.] Karzoth:
Well that's you. Some of us prefer to play role-playing games as, amazingly, role-playing games. Not just action games. Don't get me wrong, I love action games. But to me, an RPG has to have much more depth than how much damage my sword is going to do. And usually, a living, evolving world helps to create that feel of... uh... something...
I don't mean it like that, I play RPG like RPG, that why I like RPG, but I just don't like a lot of boring useless info about a fake world...If the history is interesting, then its a whole ndifferent story... but I just don't like useless boring stuff like you hear in school every day.. I get enough of that crap.

I like the idea of a book concerning the history of Exile/Avernum. Whether or not Jeff would do this (not to mention the commercial viability of such a project) is anybody’s guess.

But — and I say this only half-jokingly — if anyone gets Jeff sidetracked on a project that delays the release of BoA, heads will roll! madlaugh

Haha... only HALF-jokingly? He better do it after the release or I WILL kill somebody.

Edit: Oh yea, I already went ahead and e-mailed Jeff with the initial idea. He usually (ie. always) responds quickly so I should get his opinion on the matter by tomorrow. THEN we can discuss the little details.

Quote:
Originally written by FFX2000:
History's great and all, but heck, a whole lot of it's boring.(although the history of Exile/Avernum wouldn't be, I'm sure, but the Empire, God thats like, horrible, especialy what they did, why the heck would anyone want any more horrible facts about how they treated people?)
Hmmm....but that's the point. Because there's no written history of Ermarian by Jeff/anyone else, how do we know what the Empire used to be like? Perhaps at one stage it was a golden kingdom of fluffy bunnies and abundant riches for all. Or perhaps it was always a despotic, explotative empire up to the time of Hawthorne (Prazac was a bit better, I think you'll agree). Without history we don't know.

And finally, remember: those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Edit: Also, as has been said on the American Conflict Avatars (or whatever it's called) board, empires and countries go through good times and bad times. I suspect that the Ermarian Empire would be the same.

Reply from Jeff on the book:

It is one of those things I would love to do. The problem is time. Between

the multiple games I'm working on, other projects, and raising a toddler, I

just don't have time for a lot of things it would be really cool to do.

Sorry!

- Jeff Vogel

Spiderweb Software, Inc.

so that's a NO... damn...

The Empire as we know it originated on Aizo. The humans developed a civilization, cities, and more. There they fought against the giants, nephilim, and troglodytes and wiped them out. They developed boats and sailed in search of other continents. They discovered Pralgad and Vantanas. Vantanas was just a jungle to them, but Pralgad was much more hospitable.

The Empire made war with the tribes on Pralgad and took them over. Pralgad offered a better environment for crops and was much less mountainous, so they settled there and moved the capital to Pralgad. Eventually they returned to Vantanas and began to clear some of the forest. They discovered its rich mineral deposits and spices and rich trading companies sprang up. Around this time, the Anama faith was embroiled in a bitter conflict with the Empire, and they were slaughtered. The remaining Anama fled, eventually ending up on the Isle of Bigail.

South of Pralgad was Valorim, a land ruled by the vicious Ratbane clan of Nephilim. The Empire constructed Blackcrag Fortress at the southern end of the isthmus connected Pralgad and Valorim and began to mount attacks. After about 50-75 years, the Nephilim were overwhelmed and the cities of Gale and Lorelei were established.

At this point, Hawthorne I was the Emperor. His court mages discovered the system of caves beneath the surface, and he sent an expedition. The expedition was led by Thralni, and some of the other members were Scrioth, Karzoth, and Korthax. This expedition was slaughtered, "to a man and a woman."

After Hawthorne I's death his son, Hawthorne II, came to power. He began to send down violent and dangerous criminals of the foulest sort, instead of executing them. At this point, there was a power struggle among the mages, and Garzahd and his cronies won and appointed him the advisor to Hawthorne II. Hawthorne II sent these mages down to Exile, including Erika, Rone, Solberg, Aimee, and Patrick.

When Hawthorne II died and Hawthorne III came to power, Garzahd remained his advisor. Hawthorne III saw the portal to Exile as the answers to all of society's troubles. All the misfits, antisocials, petty lawbreakers, and more were sent down to Exile. And this proved to be his undoing.

Exile's History:

After the first few people were sent down, they established a city and began to fight the demons and sliths that threatened them. When the mages were sent down, they were able to help stage an assault on Grah-Hoth, and they captured him in a bottle and stored him in Akhronath, with the lich-ified Prince Hrothar, who had fallen in the battle, to watch over him.

When Micah was sent down, he worked closely with the archmages to establish a society. They created glowing mushrooms, built more cities, learned to fight, and they took over the caves.

Yes yes yes... but the point was to get more indepth information on some of the lesser known events, such as the First Visitation. There's plenty more, that was just an example. Such characters that we don't know anything about (Karzoth, Thralni) could come alive, will vibrant detail. That was the point. But it's not happening. So we should stop talking about it...

Quote:
Originally written by Scipio:
Perhaps at one stage it was a golden kingdom of fluffy bunnies

[/QB]
Have you, by any chance, read The Story About the Baby (now in its toddler stages), by Jeff Vogel? Have you read about his ideas for children's books?

YES... well... not yet. I'm making it! I already have the plans on paper. No one else use that idea or I'll... do something...

Actually, I started making one for BOE (back in the BOE days) but never finished it. I never will, obviously, so I'll just use the stuff I made for that for BOA. FalcataG helped me with it, but then he left and I never saw him again. A sad story really...

Aw frown . I was hoping on doing the 1st Visitation one day - but you're probably far ahead of me with your plans.

Doesn't matter though, I can still make a scenario featuring the Vahnatai and their flight underground. laugh For example, the adventurers are some of the creations the Vahnatai have just made, and they have to decide whether to join the Golems (Rebels) or the other species (helping the Vahnatai). Sort of like Geneforge from another perspective, namely that of the serviles. wink

I just have to make it so it isn't too much like the rebellion-cliché, like 'A small Rebellion' and other scenarios where you either join or fight them.

EDIT: TM posted right before me, this post refers to Scipio's.

Cool, but from what perspective?

I think the most interesting would be to have the PCs be native inhabitants of Aizo (Nephilim most likely, maybe primitive humans, dunno), or some other continent the Empire conquers.

You could let the PCs be soldiers of the Empire, but it would most likely be a boring 'cleanse the land of non-human infestations' story.