Avernum 1 (another newbie with questions)

Hi. I'm several hours into the first game in the trilogy, and really enjoying it. Although I like to figure things out on my own without hints, I've got a couple of lingering questions about magic...

1. If a spell can target 4 enemies, for example, but there are only 3 enemies available to target, is there a way to activate that spell on just those 3 enemies, or is that spell useless unless I face at least 4?

2. The game docs indicate that spells may be learned from scrolls. I've looted several scrolls from defeated enemies, and I see how to cast those spells from the scrolls, but I don't see how to learn them. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

1. Use the space bar to end targeting of multiple targets. Be careful that you are ready because it can't be reversed.

2. Learning from scrolls isn't possible. You buy spells from trainers or learn them from spell books that look like open books on stands.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It'll just confuse you with logic. :)

On 2/17/2020 at 10:54 AM, Randomizer said:

1. Use the space bar to end targeting of multiple targets. Be careful that you are ready because it can't be reversed.

2. Learning from scrolls isn't possible. You buy spells from trainers or learn them from spell books that look like open books on stands.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It'll just confuse you with logic. :)

Thanks for your quick reply!