Geneforge 1 kickstarter?

Taris36

On 2/10/2020 at 5:55 AM, Aleister said:

Awesome, been looking forwards to this for a long time. Not sure about the name "Mutagen" though. Isn't that from ninja turtles lmao? Should rename it something more epic sounding in my opinion.  

Mutagen is the scientific term for any DNA-altering agent or substance. Cartoons can be educational as well as entertaining.

Remastered fyoras should have that ugly cute look of baby reptiles. They currently do not.

I like that creations will be getting more abilities, although if the Shaper class used to be the class where you experience most of the game mechanics by default, this may be even more true of the remake.

Wonder what the new quest lines would be. If I recall correctly, the entire western half of the island didn't really have quests directing you to explore it, unless you wanted the special keys or items from there to do specific things with the Geneforge complex on the eastern half.

Edited by wackypanda

Really don't like the delayed damage with the animation, in the old versions the character would take damage upon being hit, now from the teaser there's a pause after the attack animation has passed through the target and then disappeared before the damage loads/appears. Also really don't like the softer art style, less hard straight lines and more curves. Seems like the arts just been copied over from avernum remakes and I dread the idea of the creations just copying over from monsters in there other games like drakons becoming avernum dragons etc.  

Please keep the unique quirks that get lost in the remakes so far. The video makes it look like we're going to be playing in an entirely different world and I hope he keeps most things looking the same just cleaned up a bit.  

4 hours ago, Aleister said:

Really don't like the delayed damage with the animation, in the old versions the character would take damage upon being hit, now from the teaser there's a pause after the attack animation has passed through the target and then disappeared before the damage loads/appears.  

Since the game hasn't actually been written yet, the trailer is just a mockup so I wouldn't worry about the timing of the animations at this point.

Kickstarter has already reached almost 70k at the time of me posting this, at 75k we get the whole new area with quest chains etc. Needless to say I am heaps happy at the response this kickstarter has gotten and glad all the reward tiers are (almost definately) going to be met. 

I wonder what the new creation is going to be? And how many creations will be in game without the bonus. Just the OG 3 from each tier or will he include later game introduced ones like wingbolts and rhotgaroths 

It actually still hasn't even hit $50k yet. I'm pretty confident it'll hit both stretch goals, but so far it's (surprisingly) slightly underperformed compared to the Queen's Wish Kickstarter.

I strongly suspect the remake will only feature the original game's nine basic creations, plus the new one. It'd take more work to integrate the three later-series creations into the game- balancing them, distributing several canisters raising the player's level in each creation's skill through the game world and balancing out that, retconning their existence into earlier in the series. Not a catastrophic amount of work, but something that isn't really necessary.

I'm kinda surprised Jeff is putting professional sound design before the android port stretch goal. I feel like it makes more sense to do the other way around. These games never really sold on their production value, so putting production over availability is surprising.

Then again I think Jeff just kinda hates having to support yet another platform.

On 2/16/2020 at 6:04 AM, googoogjoob said:

It actually still hasn't even hit $50k yet. I'm pretty confident it'll hit both stretch goals, but so far it's (surprisingly) slightly underperformed compared to the Queen's Wish Kickstarter.

I strongly suspect the remake will only feature the original game's nine basic creations, plus the new one. It'd take more work to integrate the three later-series creations into the game- balancing them, distributing several canisters raising the player's level in each creation's skill through the game world and balancing out that, retconning their existence into earlier in the series. Not a catastrophic amount of work, but something that isn't really necessary.

I'm hoping the new game only involves the original 9+1, but the new creation might replace another one. The only creations with any real story importance are drayks, so one of the others might get swapped out to maintain the consistency of 3 tiers for the 3 creation types. Though maybe the new creation will replace the ornk canister. I don't think tiers 4 and 5 will make it in, given the timeline over which they were developed in the narrative (some through rogue shaping after Sucia Island, some through deliberate development by shapers to aid in the war effort). It muddies the story, and loses some of the "oh crap" feeling you get going into G2 or G4 and stumbling across the newer creations.

I'm less optimistic it'll hit the 75k stretch goal. It seems to have stalled out a fair bit. I would definitely bump my pledge up if we get near the end and we're close to the threshhold, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get there. 

5 hours ago, Grimm said:

I'm less optimistic it'll hit the 75k stretch goal. It seems to have stalled out a fair bit. I would definitely bump my pledge up if we get near the end and we're close to the threshhold, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get there. 

I've noticed this as well :( We have 19 days left and only need $19,528. Really hope we reach it because I want that new storyline goal. I could up my amount but can only really afford an extra $20

Another thing I just noticed is that Stealth became finally a generic skill, we have an "Essence mastery" skill, parry was changed to evasion and that luck is gone. 

Shaping seems to be a whole lot more costly; the Shaper has to cough up 4 skill points to get +1 shaping, although this may change. Regardless, I would agree with Shaping being much more expensive than it was (i.e. 4/6/8 costs). It makes much more sense since it's a very powerful skill. I also agree with Essence Mastery being different than intellect. 

Edited by alhoon

On 2/22/2020 at 9:40 PM, Lady Antji said:

I've noticed this as well :( We have 19 days left and only need $19,528. Really hope we reach it because I want that new storyline goal. I could up my amount but can only really afford an extra $20

16 days left and only need $17,599 for 75k goal

Jeff should light a fire under his marketing department (snort...) & send out a FB update/another newsletter giving an update on how the kickstarter is going (almost double the goal) & how much is needed to hit the $75k level (about $16-17k).  I have no idea how many people were involved with the QW kickstarter, but this one is at 1400 people, I really wonder just how many new people/money are out there if it isn't pointed out again just how close we are to having an entire new region in the GF1 remake.

If only I was really rich/had stupid money to throw around... but alas...

The QW Kickstarter ended with 2151 backers, and an average pledge of $46. Thus far, Geneforge has 1412 backers with an average pledge of $42. QW saw a few bumps in support as it neared its end, and I expect Geneforge will too; that said I'm a little surprised that it's been sort of underperforming compared to QW. Geneforge is pretty well-known among CRPG initiates, and pretty well-liked, and the basic hook of the game (stranded on an island filled with ruins and lost knowledge, shape monsters) is, I think, more attractive than the hook of QW (serve as viceroy of your mother's empire, manage vassals and forts) to newcomers. Maybe it's just the time of year it was launched (winter vs summer).

On 2/29/2020 at 8:08 AM, googoogjoob said:

The QW Kickstarter ended with 2151 backers, and an average pledge of $46. Thus far, Geneforge has 1412 backers with an average pledge of $42. QW saw a few bumps in support as it neared its end, and I expect Geneforge will too; that said I'm a little surprised that it's been sort of underperforming compared to QW. Geneforge is pretty well-known among CRPG initiates, and pretty well-liked, and the basic hook of the game (stranded on an island filled with ruins and lost knowledge, shape monsters) is, I think, more attractive than the hook of QW (serve as viceroy of your mother's empire, manage vassals and forts) to newcomers. Maybe it's just the time of year it was launched (winter vs summer).

I’m not particularly surprised. This will be a comparatively small update compared to what larger developers churn out when revitalizing an old game or ip. The goal has been handily hit and surpassed due to Jeff’s reputation, but it’s probably not going to generate the level of excitement you could otherwise anticipate for the exact same reason.

That said, I’m looking forward to it. Geneforge is fantastic.

3 minutes ago, alhoon said:

How long to go?! You can't share that kind of news without that part? Please tell me there are 2-3 days more at least for one final push? 

You can just check the time remaining on the kickstarter page linked in the first post. However, for your benefit, there are 5 days left.

I'm very impressed with this kickstarter's second wind. Looks like we're getting some additional content on top of what Jeff already adds to these Remasters. I wonder if he'll be doing this for the rest of the Geneforge series, particularly considering he can reuse whatever new assets are created for this one. Which might mean a preliminary focus on sound design for the next installment, and maybe a retroactive change for this one?

I am most interested to see what he does for Geneforge 3, which, if I remember correctly, is generally considered the most milquetoast of the series. Or maybe it's Geneforge 2 now that we have a complete saga, with how little it departed from the original experience. Very excited to see how it's all touched up with the perspective of hindsight.

While I would agree that GF3 is the weakest link, it is still good. IMO It is close to GF2 in enjoyment. Yes, island hopping is meh and there is no strong case to join the Rebellion other than "oh... those guys seem to be winning and got us Shapers with the pants down. Let's join them, I guess." 

I don't expect that to dramatically change though. In GF3 you start in the school. Your classmates are killed in their sleep. How the rebels can recover from that in the Main Character's eyes and convince him/her to join is beyond me. 

Edited by alhoon

1 hour ago, alhoon said:

While I would agree that GF3 is the weakest link, it is still good. IMO It is close to GF2 in enjoyment. Yes, island hopping is meh and there is no strong case to join the Rebellion other than "oh... those guys seem to be winning and got us Shapers with the pants down. Let's join them, I guess." 

I don't expect that to dramatically change though. In GF3 you start in the school. Your classmates are killed in their sleep. How the rebels can recover from that in the Main Character's eyes and convince him/her to join is beyond me. 

I believe that’s why Jeff included surrogates for the PC’s internal monologue. You start as a Shaper without there ever being any reason to question the institution you serve until you’re faced with the reality that someone hates it enough to murder your classmates. The rebels are crazy, but the Shapers aren’t great either. What I wound up enjoying about GF3 most was being pidgeon-holed into different extremes. It’s a perspective I missed in GF4, which doesn’t really pose any difficult questions to the player or face them with the harsh ramifications of the conflict (or their choices).

Over $84,200 with 10 hours to go. I guess we reached the limit of stretch goals. Still we are getting new areas to explore so it won't be just updating the game engine.

With the junk bag, we at least have one nice thing to look forward to in GF3 remake when hauling items around and not getting encumbered every time we change islands. :)

14 hours ago, Enraged Slith said:

I believe that’s why Jeff included surrogates for the PC’s internal monologue. You start as a Shaper without there ever being any reason to question the institution you serve until you’re faced with the reality that someone hates it enough to murder your classmates. The rebels are crazy, but the Shapers aren’t great either. What I wound up enjoying about GF3 most was being pidgeon-holed into different extremes. It’s a perspective I missed in GF4, which doesn’t really pose any difficult questions to the player or face them with the harsh ramifications of the conflict (or their choices).

The Shapers are very bad in GF3 too... but you start as a Shaper. You have joined them, you're in the school (being routinely tortured and beaten) when the rebels kill your classmates. 

For me it was very similar to GF4. The Rebels are bad … but you start as a Rebel. You joined them, you're heading to Southforge (to be mutated and perhaps survive as an insta-shaper) when the Shapers show up with Tier-4 creations and kill the people you traveled with for months. 

Edited by alhoon

7 hours ago, alhoon said:

The Shapers are very bad in GF3 too... but you start as a Shaper. You have joined them, you're in the school (being routinely tortured and beaten) when the rebels kill your classmates. 

For me it was very similar to GF4. The Rebels are bad … but you start as a Rebel. You joined them, you're heading to Southforge (to be mutated and perhaps survive as an insta-shaper) when the Shapers show up with Tier-4 creations and kill the people you traveled with for months. 

I usually play GF4 as an opportunistic sociopath, so I’ve never had issues tagging along for those juicy Shaper perks before turning on them and unleashing armageddon. The worst mistake they ever made was carrying loot worth mugging them for.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Blxz said:

So no Android port? Disappointing. I'm always looking for something interesting to play on my tablet and Jeff's games would do it perfectly. Sadly they are not on there which is pretty lazy distribution to be perfectly frank.

Android ports are hard to do because there are so many different screen sizes. In order to make the game viewable it requires creating different sized sprites for almost every screen size. It created disappointment for Android users who found out that the game wouldn't be playable on their device or that they would be the first one that would have to find out if it would work after they bought it.

Just haul a laptop around with you as you walk balancing it with one hand and using the other for the keys and touchpad. :)

7 hours ago, Blxz said:

So no Android port? Disappointing. I'm always looking for something interesting to play on my tablet and Jeff's games would do it perfectly. Sadly they are not on there which is pretty lazy distribution to be perfectly frank.

No self-respecting programmer develops for Android.

Edited by Unbound Servile

Hello Blxz,

Despite the objections of the previous posters, I am confident that Spiderweb would like nothing more than to distribute their games on Android. After all, an Android port has appeared on two Spiderweb kickstarters as of this post – and I imagine it will appear again next time!

Jeff’s costed it, he knows what it would take, and he’s shown that he’s willing to take the risk if the mass interest is there. If it wasn’t this time, perhaps it will be next time. We can certainly hope so!

It more than makes sense, after all. More platforms means more people enjoying your work, and more people paying you for it. What’s not to like? :)

However, the main difficulty is in practicality. Spiderweb’s games are made by a tiny, tiny team. Given the number of people involved, their turnaround is very fast – at the moment, Spiderweb works very efficiently. So, in order to develop their games for Android, one of two things would need to happen:

1. A very, very significant delay on releasing a game, as Jeff takes time he would usually use for game development to work on the port. This would involve learning the required skills for porting his engine to a new platform, writing it, testing it, finding out what’s wrong with it, testing it again etc.. That might not be implausible on its own, but remember that Jeff needs to do all of this while writing his game and running his company. That’s no small task!

2. The game is outsourced to a professional company that ports it themselves. This is not only expensive, but awkward, since all professional support has to run through this third-party company. This is more problematic than you might think, since no-one’s really sure what the relationship between Spiderweb and that company might be 5/10/20 years down the line. If you lose the support of the porting company, you can’t offer support for a game you’ve distributed – and that’s not good.

To see Jeff’s own thoughts on this, albeit it a few years old now, see here:

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2016/11/we-are-no-longer-supporting-android-sigh.html

So, at least at the moment, I really don’t think it’s laziness on Spiderweb’s behalf, or a lack of a desire to make a port. There’s definitely merit in it! It’s simply a matter of numbers and practicality.

But that might change. Be sure to back Spiderweb’s next kickstarter, and bring along your friends! It might be possible to change the tide next time! :)

In addition to Ess-Eschas' comment; Blxz, honestly, I don't think we'll see an Android port of a Spiderweb game in the near future, if at all. Jeff has had a bad experience with outsourcing Android ports and the two Kickstarters didn't even get near the Android port stretch goal. On top of that, Avadon 1 for Android apparently didn't make alot of money and had issues. Basically, if you want to play Spiderweb games on Mobile, your best bet is to buy an iPad. In case you didn't know, all Spiderweb games from Avernum 6 and onward have iPad ports.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 9:17 AM, Unbound Servile said:

Avadon 1 for Android apparently didn't make alot of money and had issues. 

The biggest issue seems to be that it's not on the play store. Might have made more money if it were there.

To be fair, it might have been there in the past and been removed due to the assorted issues raised by the others above. None of that changes my feeling that it's pretty crappy distribution. He keeps hinting at android ports but that isn't worth much to the vast array of android users and it is a self fulfilling prophecy at this stage where the less porting android receives the fewer people are even going to consider looking for the games on that platform.

Also "buy an ipad" for spiderweb games. They are good games, don't get me wrong, but they aren't even close to being THAT good. In fact, after buying all of them I'm beginning to realise I really only like the Geneforge series and certainly not for the mechanics of the game. Man, the longer I type the more I seem to be convincing myself I don't like these games as much as my nostalgia makes me think I do. I should stop typing now.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:12 PM, Blxz said:

I'm beginning to realise I really only like the Geneforge series and certainly not for the mechanics of the game. 

To be fair, finding canisters abandoned in many zones simply feels wrong... they are too valuable to just be left in a random room or ruined building in the open. Once or twice, perhaps. Found locked and guarded after the Lifecrafter died/forced to flee, perhaps. But finding them by the dozen feels a bit too gamey. 

7 hours ago, alhoon said:

To be fair, finding canisters abandoned in many zones simply feels wrong... they are too valuable to just be left in a random room or ruined building in the open. Once or twice, perhaps. Found locked and guarded after the Lifecrafter died/forced to flee, perhaps. But finding them by the dozen feels a bit too gamey. 

Yeah, I'm doing Geneforge 2 again since it has always been my favourite but I've also never completed it with many of the paths - I think there are at least 5 plus variations based on canister usage. But the first canister you find is relatively late in the game (compared to the other games). But it's right in the middle of a thoroughfare that is described as having had a lot of foot traffic through including carts. I get that Jeff wanted the player to find it but given the canister madness of the people who must have left it behind, coupled with the fact that one other person for sure walked past in the moments before you were there AND the fact that there was a fight just north of that which implies at least one more person, the canister is just sitting there surrounded by other broken ones.

Still, it's a damn good story. I think the canisters and their allure is a huge part of why I like the games. The temptation is so strong and if you play from Geneforge 1 you really have it ingrained in you that these things are life since you are so isolated and alone in the first game. It's good game design.

On 4/18/2020 at 2:12 PM, Blxz said:

None of that changes my feeling that it's pretty crappy distribution.

Pity.

To be quite frank with you, you are ignorant. If you'd only took a moment to think about the situation and read up on the matter
instead of spilling your undiluted gall over Jeff's business practices, you'd realize there are no Android ports for Spiderweb games just to prevent 'crappy distribution'.

Sigh. Millenials and their smartphones ...

Unbound Servile,

Now might be a good time just to remind yourself of our forum Guidelines. You’re a little close to overstepping the mark here. You can find the Guidelines in the tabs at the top of this page.

Please pay special attention to rule 2. This includes the statement that, and I paraphrase, this forum does not allow personal attacks on other members, or on members grouped together in any way, such as by their age.

Good, healthy discussion is exactly the sort of thing we want to encourage on these forums. But if it degrades into personal attack, then that’s a problem.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt for the moment, so this isn’t an official warning for now, but I do need to remind you to pay closer attention to our Guidelines in future.

• 4 weeks later...