Torn between Exile 3, Avernum 3, and A3:Ruined World

I fell in love with Spiderweb software games after playing EFTP on my ipad. I have been sitting on other games here and there but never truly got in to it and understood til finishing EftP.

I finished both Eftp and Crystal souls and I am ready to move on to the third one. I got a problem though. I kinda started to like Avernum 3 and played until finishing the slime plague. I also fired up Ruined World last night on my ipad and finally got out to the surface. I managed to also get a dosbox wrapped copy of Exile3. It may derp out a bit but it seems playable.

Now my question is which should I play? I am really torn between A3 and Ruined world but also kinda want to go and play exile 3.

Any advice? I am leaning towards Exile 3 and Avernum 3 though. They might be old but man they really immerse me. 

The plots are the same without too much new material added compared to other remakes. It is mostly differences in the game engines. Exile gives you the six member party, Avernum allows you to replace party members with recruited members found in certain places, and the Avernum remake has improvements including battle disciplines and the junk bag.

I grew up on Exile 3 and enjoyed playing it just because of all the little things missing in the remakes. As long as it works, then play it.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Pleases leave any remaining sanity at the door. It'll help with any future conflicting advice. :)

16 hours ago, Randomizer said:

The plots are the same without too much new material added compared to other remakes. It is mostly differences in the game engines. Exile gives you the six member party, Avernum allows you to replace party members with recruited members found in certain places, and the Avernum remake has improvements including battle disciplines and the junk bag.

I grew up on Exile 3 and enjoyed playing it just because of all the little things missing in the remakes. As long as it works, then play it.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Pleases leave any remaining sanity at the door. It'll help with any future conflicting advice. :)

That's the thing! Each engine has its pros and cons. I have been enjoying the nethergate engine on Avernum 3 while the new Ruined World Engine seems to be the best work Jeff has done yet and it sorts of give me a different perspective to the same events. Plus I would assume he added some more lines in boss fights and whatnot. I don't remember the goblin chief talking to me or calling out the bones in the middle of the fight. Lastly the complicated spell list is what makes me want to get in to Exile 3.

I really am stumped as to what to prioritise right now. 

Oh by the way, I got the GOG avernum 3 copy and I was wondering if it is a bug when I click the ? on the spell trainer menu and it doesn't open the description list similar to the one from the item list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played them in release order so of course that makes sense to me.  You can see the changes in gaming as you redo the story-lines.

My favorite engine is used in the first Avernum series (Nethergate).  The new content and features were were big advancements.

Don't be surprised if you end up playing all 3 versions though!