Colour Palette for Custom Graphics.

WeAreNewcastle1053

I just got into the Exile series via the MyAbandonware website, and I found the Scenario Editor to be a promising feature. I also heard that one can even have custom graphics, so long as if you were using Windows, the colour palette had to be "similar to the palette used in the game". So now I'm trying to use Paint.Net to create a picture that has all the colours used in the game's graphics, but it seems to be taking longer than it should. Was there a faster way of getting all the colours used to begin with?

I'm pretty sure the palette used in Blades of Exile was basically the standard 8-bit colour palette used on the Apple Macintosh? As for Windows, I'd guess probably 8-bit VGA. I'm not sure what differences there might be between the two, but perhaps that's the reason why the graphics were always different on Mac vs Windows.

In short, as far as I know, it's not using a super-restricted palette – it's using the best it could at the time. Of course, it's always possible that the artist imposed additional restrictions on their work, but I would have no way of knowing of those…

Some things to keep in mind:

• I recommend downloading the Exile series (excepting maybe BoE) directly from Spiderweb's website rather than from MyAbandonware – it's an official freeware release. It might be the same as what MyAbandonware has, but I can't be certain.
  • If you're just interested in making scenarios, then there's no need to worry about palettes – the updated Blades of Exile (links in the forum header) supports full 24-bit colour.
  • If your goal is to list every colour used in the original graphics, be sure to use the download from the Spiderweb Software site and not any of the updated downloads, as the colours might have been subtly changed by accident at some point.

I believe I have actually downloaded Blades of Exile from the official site. I had only found the Exile series on MyAbandonware (and downloaded the first game from there). And yes, I have discovered that colours not used in the 8-bit palette are still supported in my copy of the game (or at least don't make the file unusable). I knew the palette wasn't super-restricted, but I just really wanted to know what I did and didn't have.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 10:40 PM, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

I believe I have actually downloaded Blades of Exile from the official site. I had only found the Exile series on MyAbandonware (and downloaded the first game from there). And yes, I have discovered that colours not used in the 8-bit palette are still supported in my copy of the game (or at least don't make the file unusable). I knew the palette wasn't super-restricted, but I just really wanted to know what I did and didn't have.

With imagemagick you can extract the color palette from any .BMP file

convert PCS.BMP -format %c -colors 256 histogram:info:- |sort -n -r

the palette for PCS.BMP from Windoes BoE is here.  I expect it's the same in all files.

http://0x0.st/i-Qj.txt