Nisse tower fight

PkK

I made it to the Nisse Council at the upper level of the tower.

However, I find the fight there much harder than any fight before (though I have to admit I did not fight any of the dragons). Even when putting my party behind the counter (on the Council side), I still die in the first attack wave.

It depends on difficulty level and what you bring to the fight as consumables in your backpacks. Also there are chests on the two levels below with some scrolls. You want scrolls to buff your party and heal them so you can save energy for attacks and major healing.

It helps to wipe out anything that can cast spells first as soon as you get them in range. Area attacks are important. You want to avoid letting them get near you so summons can delay them in the sides.

I have most of my characters stand in the center platform so I can do range attacks long before the fighters can do melee attacks on my party.

The first few times you do this fight are the hardest because you don't know what's going to happen next. 

Good luck

Hello,
I am clearly not a strategic expert on this fight: my main problem is survive the first wave of monsters, the last three waves are much more easier to deal with. I guess that if you can wipe quickly the first wave with spells, standing in the center platform is better ; if not, you can try to stand in the south of the room (ie. between the watchers) and kill the casters first, the warriors will have problem finding a path to reach you, so it is relatively easy to block temporarily one entrance with a summon and make most of the warriors turn around the table (to try to reach the second entrance). 

Edited by osnola

You can also change the difficulty settings for this battle and try to do it in normal or in casual. Ie. the first time, I try to play the game, it was in normal and I can not even finish this battle, so I finish it in casual. Since I have finished it in torment with a full party with better equipments and tactics (I used the behind the counter technic and it was not so difficult), and with a singleton in normal (it was almost impossible, ie. I need to reload the game a lot of times, ...).

Edited by osnola

The Nisse are much like your party, they have high damage output and high resistances, but relatively little HP. My winning strategy on Torment was:

a) have all possible speed bonus augments and speed bonus skills to get the initiative in the first turn;

b) trigger the Nisse attack as close to the ledge as possible;

c) run up to the end of the ledge and use Poison Rain as many times as you can while the Nisse are still bunched together (Fireball is probably great, but requires skill points I'd rather spend on cultural skills);

d) once the Nisse split up, try to slow the warriors down using summons while you keep hitting the wizards with ranged attacks or spells (especially spells if you can hit several enemies at once), though killing the wizards takes priority, e) once the warriors get close, and the wizards need to be dead by then, use Whirlwind Attack and try to hit as many of them as possible.

As for party composition, I recommend that all of your characters have wizard robes, magic swords, orbs and Havenite Basinets (except for one character who might as well use the Warp Spear), and aside from augments that grant Speed, I would recommend using the Stun resist augment, since losing a turn is fatal against the Nisse. My skill setup looked like this:

Combat:
Level 1 - 1 Steelskin, 1 Brutal Blow (bleeding is better than weakness on higher difficulties)
Level 2 - 2 Whirlwind Attack
Level 3 - 1 Hardiness

Magic:
Level 1 - 1 Magery, 1 Shock/Terror (doesn't really matter)
Level 2 - 2 Icy Wave (for area damage
Level 3 - 1 Raw Power, 1 Poison Rain (if you have a spare point, you can take 2 Poison Rain)
Level 4 - Golem (for summoning obstacles and +4 Magic Damage)

Support:
Level 1 - 2 Healing
Level 2 - 1 Curing, 1 Teleport
Level 3 - 1 Haste, 2 Disrupt on two PCs / 1 Haste, 2 Restoring Rain on two PCs
Level 4 - 1 Battle Frenzy

This leaves two points per character to spend on Cultural skills. I ran a party with one PC from every region, and I made sure to have two points in Vicious Strikes and Tower of Might, and one point each in Charm and Free Mind.

4 hours ago, Minion said:

As for party composition, I recommend that all of your characters have wizard robes, magic swords, orbs and Havenite Basinets (except for one character who might as well use the Warp Spear), and aside from augments that grant Speed, I would recommend using the Stun resist augment, since losing a turn is fatal against the Nisse. My skill setup looked like this:

What is the Warp Spear? Is it something the Athriel can forge? When I brought them Vol stones I got a two-handed weapon called "Temptation", according to the desciption it is  a trident with a different blessing on each prong, but it actually only has to special aspects: Bleeding for 2 turns and Poison for 2 turns.

The Warped Spear is hidden in the Deepest Farms of the Nisse Lands:

The Warped Spear (two-handed tier 3 arcane, 20% speed bonus, +10% to physical evasion, 3 slots, hits are critical (20%), vulnerable for 2 turns (50%))

damage isn't as good, but the speed bonus is good at least in older game versions.

5 hours ago, PkK said:

What is the point of charm here? All the Nisse I saw at the top of the tower had 70% mind resist.

Spoiler alert!

Spoiler

There are a few more fights after the first one. They are far easier and the enemies have less Mental resistance. Once you have beaten the first fight, just burn through your Life Scrolls and Power Potions and deal with the rest as you would with any Nisse fight (though an initial burst of Poison Rain remains effective).

• 11 months later...

So, I discovered something really interesting about this fight today. The difficulty is massively dependent on the dialogue options you select with the Watcher. If you hear out the offer, the enemies will all have significantly more hp compared to if you refuse to hear the offer at all. Their other stats appear to be the same, but the increase in hp makes the fight much more difficult. No idea why it was designed this way, or if it is even intentional.

Specifically on Torment, the Nisse Warriors went from ~250hp to having over 600, with the mages getting a similar boost, making them quite difficult to pick off early.

Edited by Mechalibur