9th Blades Contest

*i

Bain posted this earlier, but I made a new one. Preliminary rules are as follows:

The deadline is August 1, 2008 at 11:59 pm board time. Scenarios from both Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum will be accepted. The categories will likely be similar to last time including Newcomer category. To be eligible, you must not have had an entry in a previous annual contest (does not include short scenario, 1/10, or other "themed" contests).

More to follow later.

• 4 weeks later...

*sigh*

I probably won't be able to finish my scenario in time. It's going to be so complicated that it's taking quite a while to make, and I want to incorporate some new features from OBoE, so I'll have to wait till that's ready, and by that time, I'll be back in school. I'll have to wait for contest 10. Still willing to judge, however.

• 4 months later...

Assuming there is another, it'll be after this contest.

Speaking of which, I have an idea for it. How about sub-categories that the scenario can win as well, such as best scripting, best plot, best graphics, etc.? It'd be a way to recognize those scenarios that excel in one specific area, even if they don't win the main contest itself.

All of the scenarios that competed in the 1/10 and the 24 Hour contests are eligible for this one. So, actually, this might have more participants than the last one.

And it isn't all that complex. It'd work by having each judge vote for a single scenario for each category. The one with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, both or all three would get a group win.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yay! There are three already!

I almost linked the SW News page, which shows the August 1 date, but that seemed recursive. I'm sure stareye will get to updating post#0 when he can. I'm told he has been working long (12+hour) days recently. Maybe he finally noticed the size of his student loans... :p

Quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:
*sigh*

I've been trying to make a scenario for so long it's not even funny. So slow...slow...I don't think I'll ever actually produce one. frown
Make something small. If you haven't already, play Settlers, and read the document it comes with. A two/three town scenario is better than nothing, and it'll help show you where your strengths are.

I'll enter War Preparations and New Market City.

I'd put them on my site but I've forgotten the passwords, and it will take a while (at least a couple of weeks) before I'll get new ones. I guess I'll send the scenarios somewhere else meanwhile.

EDIT:

War Preparations is now released and available for download on the Blades Forge!

• 2 months later...

I've got a new scenario for BoE on the way, I hope to have it done by the contest. I've only got two days of school left after Memorial Day, after that I should have plenty of time for working on my scenario. (I graduate from high school the first of June....with an honors diploma!!! :D)

Is the deadline still 8/1/08?

I was hoping to catch up on my play-throughs and reviews before attempting to return to actual design... but, hey, I just found my notes for the Vitoba project while unpacking. Things can happen.

The Silent Assassin thinks that the winning scenario will be a tribute to the life of Sean Connery.

I think he needs to stop watching as much TV.