Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Longtooth

Mechanics Questions

Recommended Posts

So. Somewhat new to Avernum (Put a few hours in here and there... but never stuck with it.) After beating Avadon 1, and Geneforge 1, I've decided to give Avernum EftP a try, and for whatever reason its really gelling with me. Cannot get enough. However.... I feel like certain things could be better explained, or I'm just missing them.

 

1. Dual Wielding. Ambidextrous, and Dual Blade Mastery all refer to dual wielding. What isn't covered is the dual wielding penalty without these skills, or just my basic to hit chance. I'm taking them all to be safe, but it would be nice to know what the base penalty is and what my current to hit is with blademaster and things like that. Am I missing a screen?

 

2. SwordMage. Again... I don't see any spell penalties for wearing armor. Other than say a -5% to hit. Which would effect fireballs but not say...haste.... 

 

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked back at the topics in the Strategy Central because it has been years since I played this game:

 

1. It is listed as a -19% penalty to hit when you use two weapons in Dual Wielding.  I remember in some games that there is also a damage penalty. There should be more information in moving the cursor over ability and trait descriptions on the bonus and penalty for each. The idea is early in the game, the to hit penalties make sword and shield a better choice until you are hitting all the time from level and weapon abilities. By the middle game you want to deal more damage and have enough other armor items not to need a shield.

 

2. SwordMage is important early in the game since when the to hit penalty from bulky armor exceeds 20% you can't cast mage spells in combat. Later in the game there are plenty of great armor items with no penalties that are meant for mages. You don't need it if you pay attention to armor items and can wait.

 

Some of these things are mentions in topics but may be buried in the discussions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sword mage, in general terms, the stronger the armor, the higher the to hit penalty that the armor imposes.  For fighter type characters you just deal with it and as they build up their weapons skills it becomes irrelevant.  For mage spells if the total of your armor's to hit penalties is greater than 20%, you cannot cast the mage spells at all.  SwordMage raises the maximum by 5% per level of SwordMage.  So with one level you can have armor with a total of 25% of to hit penalties.  With two levels, 30%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sword mage is good for your front line guys, if you're like me and give them at least a few levels of mage skills to be able to toss an AoE spell early in the fight.  You'll want them in heavier armor, but the option of being able to toss a fireball or a cloud of ice is nice to have.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...