Can you mod treasure placement or drops?

I am trying to take the changes Jeff made to weapons, armour and other equipment in Crystal Souls and put them back into Escape from the Pit. However, I noticed that there is a shield called "Thrice-Blessed Shield" in the item scripts for EftP that does not appear to have been placed anywhere in the game, at least not as far as I can recall or according to the item index. Based on its stats, it appears to be the precursor to the Shield of the Deep, and I thought it would be neat if I could add it somewhere, preferably without having to replace another unique item and potentially messing up a whole bunch of items.

The easiest way to add the placement of an item is to modify a zone script dialogue node. You add a line to give an item to the party when you click on a signpost or talk to an NPC. There are examples in other topics about getting a missing item that is needed.

I'm pretty sure containers and their items are hard coded for placement and then kept track off in save game files.

Thanks, I thought I had read somewhere that containers etc. are hard coded. The best I can think of would be to replace the relatively useless Putrified Gauntlets so you get something nice and useful for raising your Cave Lore. The Putrified Gauntlets are last in their respective item table, so there should be no risk of messing up subsequent items.