Leaders of the Empire?

Aran

If you examine the timeline closely, you'll notice that the Anama moved to Bigail, and were existent before then. I didn't know of it either, and I very much think that in Avernum III Ahonar says he founded the Anama on Bigail in the first place, thus causing a logical error. We could assume that the Anama were wiped out in the Anama war, and were later refounded by Ahonar. It's not an uncommon thing for a sect, eh, minor religion. :p

And is anyone going to reply to my question about the number of Aizonian Emperors? :p

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first is a woodcut, the second a washed out parchment, right? smile

Dunno how we could fit those different textures into one world map, however. frown

The best thing would be if we could just make the world map in one go - for that we'd need the exact position of the continents; the drawing can be crude, but it must be accurate. Anyone have/can make one? Drakey, TM, *i, anyone?

I already have done a pencil map of all the continents except Vantanas which I scanned in and touched up. Its justs I dont any of the cities of Vantanas, so once you've done your map of vantanas send it to me, I'll redo my own version so as to stay the same on the worldmap. We would probably end with a big map of all the continents and a map of each one individualy. if you could help me in that area. It would really help.

I know the relative positions already.

Those maps took 1 min or so messing with the effects on photoplus.

Why do I get the feeling you doing Vantanas and I'm doing the rest isn't working out too good. I mean wouldn't it look slightly odd. So..

You just do your map of Vantanas, and I fine with that and I'll just do te big, really big one of the wole world. Ok

Good idea. I think both versions of the map would probably be cool. smile

When all the maps are done, we should make a site to put them up, yahoo or tripod or somewhere. Would make a nice addition to the BoE webring.

The rest that remains to do are the cities, and the names of mountains, rivers, lakes, forests and stuff. Now the veterans can make themselves useful. :p Put up the info!

"Dark areas represent mountains."

Does that refer to all colored areas on the map, or just the two gray shades marked Northerlands and Sarkegrad?

I can do that one too, Zharrad, if you want. laugh

And I *still* don't know what the purple and the green stuff in Vantanas is. Tropical forest? Swamps? Countries? What is it?

OMG, that would mean that would mean that I drew the woods inversely eek .

And drawing them is so much darn work too.

Well, I'll just pretend it's the other way around.

You'll notice, however, that most of the brown areas are near and around rivers. That's a common location of forests.

And about the maps done by me - host them on your site if you want, but I have my own that I'm working on. I'm going to link to yours, and you can do the same. smile

Doston is, as far as I've heard, the fifth continent of Ermarian, but it's not mentioned in the series. Seemingly another fluctuation of reality caused by BoE scenarios inventing new stuff. Dunno about the relation of that to the rest.

I'm coding it in a text editor, with the aid of a load of html books. I'm still learning.

My sister has the demo of Dreamweaver, and says it's really cool because it saves her the work of coding. But then, she already learnt html ages ago when I was still mucking about with the trial versions of editors, so she's ahead of me. :p

And I've already thought of a cool title for a page providing info on this world:

<p align="center">

<font size=2 face="MaidenWord" color=#BBBB33>"Encyclopaedia Ermariana"</font>

Cool, eh?

Whoops, I actually posted html in this board. Hope I'm not breaking any rule here.

But then, I'm not spamming or anything...

EDIT: This refers to your post below Zharrad, I don't want to have every other post in this thread:

Geocities/Yahoo, same as yours. And I didn't do any more for the map, only things remaining are those mysterious funky colored areas and the cities. And some place names would also be cool. Are there any scenarios set in Vantanas that I could browse through?

Edit 2: I actually forgot to close the align tag. :rolleyes: Bad html-er.

I don't like coding or frontpage that much, I create my websites as a pure graphic in RealDRAW then splice it into Html, Looks great but a hell to look at if you havn't broadband or higher (256K+). I only know a bit Html, What company hosts your website.

Could you send me how far you've got on Vantanas so I can have a look,

There were indeed only two emperors of Aizo. Baltimore I lived a heinously long life (around , because of his being of an almost indistinguishable species native to Vantanas, capable of longer lifespans and reproduction from humans. He was a Sylvian, as all Emperors were up until Hawthorne (see E:P). Of course, most emperors of the Pralgradian Empire either attained their position at old age, or were assassinated, which is why you don't see +100 year reigns.

Being a Pralgradian Emperor sure seems a risky job. :p

However, last time I checked the timeline, Baltimore I. reigned 45 years, which is not all that long. How long do Sylvians live? >100 years, or even >200?

So the Aizonian Empire only existed for 150-odd years. Strnage, but - okay.

Not too long ago, someone (darn, I wish I could find that thread, I searched in the whole board), following a question about a world map, posted a map of Ermarian, and said "This map is highly inaccurate: It was made for the arena, which has endured two major cataclysms and a nuclear apocalypse." (See, I'm good at remembering quotes, but hopeless when it comes to names :p ).

From that, I reasoned that the cataclysm/collapse/apocalypse is confined to the arena, and that the arena and the BoE scenarios follow two different realities ("Different probabilities" if have you read "Mostly Harmless" laugh ).

If it's widely accepted in here, I guess we have to enclude it in the site, Zharrad. I still suspect that this idea of cataclysm doesn't agree with my world view - but hey, I guess as a noob I have to accept what the community has come up with already. In the meantime, would someone care to elaborate how these cataclysms came to pass? smile

That map of Vantanas done by me was just for a joke, I never intended it to be used as a definitive map of Vantanas, Anyway I'd better get back to making my website.

I've stuck a link to my website in my signiture and theres a like to yours on my site. And about the name. I just threw that together.

Well, I can't really think of any BoE scenarios set after what would be 2000 IE.

The second cataclysm happened much later - something like 4500 IE. The current BoE Arena date would be, uh, in the 6100s.

EDIT : The first cataclysm, which I'm likely wrong about, would be the fall of the Empire followed within a hundred years by some sort of immense natural disaster that caused Doston to be created - for the record, Doston is the largest continent in the Arena plotline.

The second cataclysm, which I have the complete details on, would be due to the escalating war between the Church of the Reaper and the Church of Divine Flame which led to the destruction of the CoDF's superweapon platform, the Saturnalia II, and its collapse onto Ermarian. The resulting impact, gargantuan explosion, and dispersal of nuclear fallout wiped out a great portion of life on Ermarian and blasted civilization back into the Stone Age for 1000 years. Around 600 years have passed in the Arena since then.

That would imply that before the second cataclysm Ermarian had the technology of space travel. I don't think much of that - but that's my opinion.

But since you say there weren't any scenarios around then, why not split the world up in the dimension that contains the arena (where its ca. 6100 IE.) and the one that contains most of the BoE scenarios (where it's something between 1500 and 2000 IE.)

Since the encyclopædia is going to be for BoE designers, I'd say we break off the history where the last scenario takes place. If people want to make scenarios adhering to the arena timeline, I'm guessing there is enough info on it, if not we could make another site for that.

Doston existed well before the first cataclysm. There are scenarios that take place on Doston (I can name at least three) before the collapse of the Empire. Of course, because Doston is not particularilly blessed (half of it is a steppe-like wasteland from its navel up) resource-wise, it was never particularilly explored beyond its lower half. Scientists like Icabod would perform experiments and some-forth on the northern parts of Doston, but that's about it.

Cool design, and the loading time is okay too. But I notice that you've got the text for the maps at the bottom, and the maps to which they refer are not there. They're on the graphic-less site, but not on the new one.

Edit: It's a natural law of discussion boards that the last post on a page easily gets ignored. Only read it just now, TM. :p

If Doston is the setting of BoE scenarios, and existed before the cataclysm, it'll of course be included in the site. Hang on, I'm gonna start the map right now - Arti (the guy who made the Photoshop map tutorial) also gave me some tips for improvement after seeing my Vantanas map, and I guess I'll be a lot better with Doston. smile

Hmm, I'm still trying to find a copy of Photoshop. So between searching for one, and touching up my scanned in maps in other programs.

I'm working on the website. The text bit I forgot to delete and I'm seeing how I like different colours and getting some artwork for it.

Could you send the tips to me, I think I stuck my E-Mail on my profile or on the website somewhere.

Thanks for saying my maps are cool. Must do the same for yours as I think they are way better.

I'm going to mail you what he said - it would, btw, be helpful if you enabled private messages to be sent to you, but no matter, I can also send you an email. smile

Edit: You didn't put your address anywhere, Zharrad. But now that you've enabled PMs, no prob.

Doston existed before the First Cataclysm. Then, it suck underwater around 1884. It began rising out of the water at 1889, and completed rising around 1902. It kept on rising from 1902-1905, however, and gained quite a bit more landmass than it had before the continent.

Edit: Major problem with the Encyclopedia Brittanica. Baltimore I left plenty of descendants, including Sol I. Sorry.

First, it's not the Britannica: That one exists already. It's the Ermariana.

Someone said earlier in this thread that Baltimore I. left no heir, sinking the Aizonian Empire in a long civil war which broke it apart eventually. Hundred years afterwards, Sol I. founded the Pralg®adian Empire. If Sol I. was a descendant of Baltimore I., then why didn't an earlier descendant inherit the throne after Baltimore's death, thereby preventing the collaps? confused

Please clear this up.

About the site; it's not as if most of that info is staying on there; the reigns are basically just a page where I can practice html tables for the time being. :p

So the Doston depicted on the map is the first Doston, which existed *all* the time throughout Ermarian history? Or is it the second one?

Wait: So the Aizonian Empire never spanned to Pralgrad - I knew that already. The Pralgradian Empire took a long time to span to Aizo again - at least I guess so.

But how did Baltimore's line get to a continent so far away from his empire, probably during his reign, since his reign ended with his death? Were they exiled or something?

TM, when you said:

Quote:
Doston existed well before the first cataclysm. There are scenarios that take place on Doston (I can name at least three) before the collapse of the Empire.

did you then mean the island of Doston? Which scenarios are those, so that I can glean a map of the pre-cataclysmic Doston from them?

Looking forward to understanding this, and putting it in writing. smile

Doston was decent-sized before the First Cataclysm, and had a fair number of people. It was slightly larger than Australia or Exile. The scenarios that I'm thinking of are Echoes: Black Horse, Bandits and Bandits 2.

Baltimore was actually on Pralgrad when he was waging the war (he would have to be in order to actually lead the war- they didn't have phones at that time). He found a hot piece of Pralgradian ass. By the time the result of their perpendicular friction emerged from the alternate partner's hanky-panky hole, the Aizoan Empire was pretty much doomed, but Sol I. was born and took the helm of the Pralgadian Empire.

The scenario I'm testing is playing on Doston, and I didn't notice? That's embarrassing to say the least. :p I'll go replay it again right now, before I'm overridden by feelings of guilt.

Edit: How could I have noticed, seeing as it pretty much plays in one outdoor section only? :p

Yeah, well, that causes problems when you try to make a map. :p

And I really can't understand this about Baltimore's descendants, how did they get to Pralgad?

Zharrad, I've just remade part of my map following the tips, and I must say it's looking great already, though I have to start some major stuff anew - But it's good for practice anyway. You can find the new version at my site. smile BTW, you can check your private messages by clicking on your profile, I've sent you the one with the tips already.

Whoops, I didn't see your edit TM - the one Imban quoted. :p

Concerning that piece of history - wonderful, I could make a real story outta that. See, you jut have to keep asking and you'll get a nice answer. laugh

Btw, TM, that description was a bit too graphical. :p

What I understand was this:

Baltimore went to lead an invasion against Pralgrad, around 100 BP. With only his advisors and his steward - or whoever he left in charge - leading Aizo, the Empire showed signs of decline by 90-85 BP. Balty didn't notice, because first it couldn't be seen from the reports his advisor was sending him, and later because he was otherwise occupied by an affair with a local Pralgradian woman (btw, was that a love affair, or a rape, or whatever?). When his son (Sol I.) was born around 40BP, the Aizoan Empire was in its death throes; and it soon became obvious to Balty that he couldn't return there. So he just basically continued his invasion, until around 10-0, when his son had matured, who was quick to grasp his opportunity for leading an empire, and united the Pralgradians.

Is that more or less correct?

And how did Balty and Sol think of each other; was Sol I. still 'loyal' to his father, or did he adhere completely to the opposing side (the Pralgradians)?

It was a Pralgradian woman. They were actually close friends from a great while ago, but the history books wouldn't say that. It wasn't rape, or anything.

Sol I. never knew much about Baltimore I. By the time he came to unite Pralgrad, Baltimore was dead. He didn't necesarilly dislike Aizo, although he defeated the anti-Pralgadian elements in it, and used his Baltimore-based lineage to take power in Aizo, effectively uniting the two empires.

Had Baltimore ever been to Pralgrad before, or did this woman ever live in Aizo, or did they only get to know each other after Baltimore had started his invasion to Pragrad?

And you said the son was illegitimate and the history book didn't mention his mother; was this just racial prejudice against Pralgradians - or did Baltimore have a wife already? :p

Okay, next guess:

Sol I. was born 50 BP, when the Aizoan Empire was already in its decline. Balty returned to Aizo a few years later, before Sol had time to grow up. (Why he didn't take his son and spouse back with him is another matter, which might be explained by him being already married). When the Aizoan Empire collapsed (maybe Balty was murdered in the process - perhaps he could even have been murdered by his wife and her friend upon coming home, sort of like Agamemnon laugh ), Sol was growing up on Pralgrad, in his mother's care. Around 10 BP, he started to unite Pralgrad - I imagine him to have quite a quick mind politically - and by 1 IE, he was able to declare himself emperor over all of Pralgrad. Later, he had little trouble annexing Aizo, through the claim of Baltimore's heritage.

Does this look better? smile

For reference:

When did Baltimore travel to Pralgrad?

When was his son born?

When did Baltimore return to Aizo?

When did he die?

When did Sol learn of his heritage?

When did he start to unite Pralgrad (he would have started before he was able to declare himself emperor)?

When did he 're-annex' Aizo, and in what state did he find it- civil war, chaos, an usurper's reign, or what?

Hello everyone, I'm back and have got a new website design. What do you think. Arancaytar your gonna have to update your links to this site.

Crystal Encyclopedia

When you first visit this site it take while to load the graphics but depending on when you clear out your Temp. Internet Files it should be quicker other times.

When did Baltimore travel to Pralgrad?

When was his son born?

When did Baltimore return to Aizo?

Never. (He was killed in battle there.)

When did he die?

When did Sol learn of his heritage?

Very early in his life.

When did he start to unite Pralgrad (he would have started before he was able to declare himself emperor)?

When did he 're-annex' Aizo, and in what state did he find it- civil war, chaos, an usurper's reign, or what?

He re-annexed it in year 3. It was in fair order, but a bit of chaos ensued when he dealt with anti-Pralgradian elements. The chaos settled quickly.

Thanks, this should make for an accurate account in the history. Btw, one more question (well several actually :p ) - if Baltimore was killed in battle on Aizo - during his conquest I presume - then was his beloved on Aizo's instead of the Pralgradian side?

And how did the Aizoan empire collapse, if it was completely ordered when Sol came back - was the 'collapse' merely a short time - ie. 100 years laugh - without a ruler? How did the empire survive this without sinking into civil war; was there a steward of some kind?

And these 65 years from the time Sol started to unite Pralgrad, to the time when he declared himself emperor over all of Pralgrad - was he a king conquering all the lands to unite them, was he a democratic politician getting all the other parts of Pralgrad through intrigue and other stuff, or did he just ask for it and everyone followed him and accepted his authority without question?

————————————

Zharrad, the site design looks nice, doesn't load too slow :p , but is there actually any page behind the front one, because the buttons don't do anything yet. wink

He died in battle during his conquest, yes. His beloved was on the Pralgadian side. (Technically she was a Vantanasian native [aka Sylvian], but the history books wouldn't say that.)

Ya know how Rome was ruled by an Emperor during times of war and a council in times of peace? Think of Aizo as being the other way around. A group of nobles came together and made decisions on their own, eventually naming heirs as they died. Some assassinations and minor power struggles occured, but nothing that plunged Aizo proper into civil war.

Think Genghis Khan, except without the baby-murdering. Sol took over nearby cities with tremendous force, and from that point on, most if not all settlements in his way surrendered without a fight in return for moderate self-governance (hence the provincial status we see in At the Gallows), much like when the Persians took over Israel, except on a much larger scale.

I would put the reconquest of Aizo much later than 3. The conquest of Pralgad was not done for some time. It was really accelerated by Sol III. Also, keep the lives of the Pralgad Emperors of fairly standard length; by that time the Emperors are becoming quite human due to the mixing of blood. By that time, all belief in the Aizonic Empire was mostly gone and the situation was one of tribalism and many separate nation-states. The conquest was done by Raven, a general of Sol III, and was met with great resistence. It took many decades of bloody combat before Aizo was conquered. During this time, Raven slaughtered many of the non-human races on Aizo and further efforts were done on Pralgad.

In Fission Point, I am going into the foundations of the early Aizonic Empire. Written by an Imperial historian:

"According to legend, over thousand years before the Empire on Pralgad, the immortal archwizard named Phrizoc appeared. His magical talents were unparalleled at the time and is said to be responsible for the creation of many the world's most powerful artifacts.

One such artifact is the so-called Amulet of Phrizoc or the Sylvian Amulet. It was worn by the Emperors of the Aizonic Empire, although historians have yet to confirm that fact. The amulet is said to transform the wearer over time, giving him or her incredible powers and longevity. These augments allowed the wearers to dominate over other normal humans and eventually led to a ruling class. Some believe that these transformations allowed the Emperors of the Aizonic Empire to live extraordinarily long lives and pass on the powers to their children. Of course, this is all speculation.

Sometime after the collapse of the Aizonic Empire, the Amulet of Phrizoc was lost. Although records document its existence, evidence of its true power remains a mystery. Although there are numerous stories of its path, none of them have ever been validated.

As for Phrizoc, his existence is even less documented. Many historians doubt of his existence at all. The legend says that opponents of the Aizonic Empire managed to track Phrizoc to an island far in the ocean. They managed to defeat the wizard, but he could not be destroyed. He was entombed with the strongest magics in his Citadel and abandoned. The location of the island was removed from all maps and was forgotten. Since then, Phrizoc's island has never been found and many doubt it ever existed at all.

Unfortunately, there is very little evidence for any of these stories. However, much of what we know about the Aizonic Empire has come from tales and legend which later have been validated, but only by a scrap of evidence. So perhaps these tales have a grain of truth in them..."

Like much of the Aizonic Empire, there is a great deal of speculation. However, Fission Point will provide a few answers.