Can you have higher than max?

Lord Blade

1 minute ago, Randomizer said:

The effect improves or if you don't have points already in the skill then you can do it.

Really?  When I had say the ring that gave +1 to poison rain, if I gave it to my magic user who already had two levels there, the effective three levels didn't seem better/different than two levels (certainly nothing dramatic like the difference between one and two)

1 minute ago, Lord Blade said:

What I meant was, can I give a Vol skill to my main character? Or will it only work on Vol?

If you have an item that gives you a +1 in whatever, the person that you give it to should be able to use it/benefit from it even if it isn't a racial trait for them.

It may not show up on the skill screen as a +1 if, in your example, the Vol trait wasn't an option as you can't put skill points towards it.  But the benefit should still be there for the player

Sorry, I'm still not clear as to the answer to the original question - if you already have the max +2 in a particular skill for a character, and equip that same character with something that gives +1 to the skill, will the character's effective skill become "+3" (not shown in the skill tree, but with the attendant benefits)? Or is +2 still always the hard cap for the skill's benefits?

4 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

Sorry, I'm still not clear as to the answer to the original question - if you already have the max +2 in a particular skill for a character, and equip that same character with something that gives +1 to the skill, will the character's effective skill become "+3" (not shown in the skill tree, but with the attendant benefits)? Or is +2 still always the hard cap for the skill's benefits?

I never asked/got an answer about a potential +3.  When I gave someone a +3 in 'x', the difference between that and a +2 never seemed dramatically different so I'd usually give that item to someone else to use (or sell it/stick it in a chest for later).

Haven't tested the passives, but I can confirm that (at least for some skills) using items to gain extra skill level will have an effect.  For example, getting to level 3 in Inspiring Shout adds 2 rounds to the base duration (before percentile multipliers) on top of the 2 rounds added for getting to level 2.  If it's just a power level or duration increase this is visible in the ability info box.