Queen’s Wish Bugs?

Aimee

1. QW Instructions say, if you want the game to fill the screen, “ run the game, select Settings on the Title Screen, and set Game Area Size to Whole Window.”  Only size options are Small, Medium, Large. (Windows 10, latest build)

2. Am in first fort, have killed bandits, talked to butler.  Now, I went into Miranda’s office and I can’t talk to her - help!

3. How can I (can I) get rid of the verflixte Arrow? I always use the arrow keys on the keyboard and the arrow ruins the game for me.

9 minutes ago, gypsydavey said:

I am trapped inside Kelleran. I've dealt with the problem, spoken to the mayor, traded with the trader, but neither set of doors will open. I'm running the Mac version.

Which problem?  If you've done everything else then it's time to relax.  Go take in a movie, perhaps a play...

Edited by TriRodent
I can't speel...sigh

40 minutes ago, gypsydavey said:

Click outside the main gate was the answer. Thanks TriRodent! But doors seem to work at least 3 different ways - confusing.

Yeah, the town gates don't open so clicking on them when you are next to them doesn't do much, which is confusing. To leave a town/dungeon the important thing is to click on the dark-shaded area that marks the edge of the town/dungeon.

This is an OCD nitpick, but since there will be a version 1.01 anyway: I haven't played yet, but I immediately noticed a typo simply by watching the introduction on a Youtube playthrough: "ever-threaten to crush you" shouldn't have the hyphen (i.e. the correct text should be "ever threaten to crush you"). Given how quickly the first one appeared, I'm not sure how many more errors like this are found throughout the game, but hopefully another complete proofreading pass has been/will be done before 1.01. No biggie if not, though.

9 minutes ago, krock said:

I'm sure I had an option to build a guard tower but now that option does not appear.

You get a guard tower option in the shops that's a build once per fort with ballistas appearing in the towers. After you do it once it no longer appears in that fort. Same with upgrade fort and at Fort Haven with the portal.

The other shop options stay because you can buy the shops and barracks in advance and place them later.

Hello mikeprichard,

9 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

"ever-threaten to crush you" shouldn't have the hyphen (i.e. the correct text should be "ever threaten to crush you"). Given how quickly the first one appeared, I'm not sure how many more errors like this are found throughout the game, but hopefully another complete proofreading pass has been/will be done before 1.01.

Echoing what Slarty said above: no, this is not a typo – it is a style of writing. It might be uncommon, and it might not be what you are used to, but it is not strictly incorrect. If you're not convinced by this, I would encourage you to check out various official manuals of style and to look specifically at their rules for using hyphens. You might be surprised to find inconsistencies! I say this as one of the game's testers, incidentally, who carefully checked this very point during the testing cycle.

As you play through Queen's Wish, you will see hyphens used like this repeatedly. Indeed, if you check the earlier games, you'll see them there too. It's Jeff's style!

Rest assured that there was a large team of testers and proof-readers going through this game with a fine-tooth comb. Given the size of the enterprise, it's only natural that a few errors will have gotten through, but they will be few and far between. If there is something you disagree with, it's very likely that one us will have noticed it already, and given it some thought. That's not to say you shouldn't report something you are very unhappy with, but just be aware that this game is far from unproofed – it's been looked at very, very carefully.

There is no need for an extra proofing round, I assure you!

9 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

This is an OCD nitpick, ...

Also, without wishing to be difficult, I hope you don't mind if I encourage you to be careful with using the term OCD in this way. While not universal – and I know this usage is common these days – I have several friends and colleagues who suffer from varying degrees of clinical OCD, and I've heard that they can find such usage demoralising from time to time.

1 hour ago, Pig Catapult said:

I've gotten the explosion events for both the West and East Battalions, but the ways aren't actually cleared and I can't proceed. I'm playing the Steam version, if that matters.

The explosions don't clear the way through where the assorted battalions are camped, they clear the way 'into' where the battalions are camped.  Now you get to go exercise your sword arms a bit...

16 hours ago, Aimee said:

1. QW Instructions say, if you want the game to fill the screen, “ run the game, select Settings on the Title Screen, and set Game Area Size to Whole Window.”  Only size options are Small, Medium, Large. (Windows 10, latest build)

This is probably just a matter of description; to have the game using the whole screen, just select "large". :)

As for me, I have a resolution problem with the game. It seems that selecting a resolution at start is useless if you want to play the game full screen. My problem is that the dialogue windows (the real dialogue windows, when the player talks to an npc) font is too small and makes it uncomfortable for my eyes to play the game.

I wouldn't really mind if we could choose the size of the font: small, average, large, but I haven't seen any setting about that. Any idea how I could fix that without having to modify my screen resolution? Or could a fix be released in the future? Thank you.

2 hours ago, TriRodent said:

The explosions don't clear the way through where the assorted battalions are camped, they clear the way 'into' where the battalions are camped.  Now you get to go exercise your sword arms a bit...

You misunderstood my post. I know what I'm supposed to be doing. I know that I know what I'm supposed to be doing, because I managed to do it in the southern battalion camp. There were two demolitionist mages standing near the opening to the dungeon before I talked to the general. When I was done talking to the general, there was a screen-shaking explosion, the demolitionists were gone, and the way into the dungeon was open. I was able to enter the Vol Gates.

I am posting in the bug thread because, in the east and west camps, the explosion event shook the screen after I finished talking to the generals, the demolitionist mages are gone, and the ways into the dungeons are still closed. There is nothing to exercise my characters' sword arms on, because there is an impenetrable iron gate and a solid wall of thorns between my characters and the places full of things I want them to put swords in.

Edited by Pig Catapult
are/were confusion

3 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Echoing what Slarty said above: no, this is not a typo – it is a style of writing. It might be uncommon, and it might not be what you are used to, but it is not strictly incorrect. If you're not convinced by this, I would encourage you to check out various official manuals of style and to look specifically at their rules for using hyphens. You might be surprised to find inconsistencies! I say this as one of the game's testers, incidentally, who carefully checked this very point during the testing cycle.

I've never seen an example of a hyphen used in this way outside of a compound adjective construction (which is not the context here) in standard English - could you please share the specific basis you found for this outside Jeff's other work? I'm interested. Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Pig Catapult said:

You misunderstood my post. I know what I'm supposed to be doing. I know that I know what I'm supposed to be doing, because I managed to do it in the southern battalion camp. There were two demolitionist mages standing near the opening to the dungeon before I talked to the general. When I was done talking to the general, there was a screen-shaking explosion, the demolitionists were gone, and the way into the dungeon was open. I was able to enter the Vol Gates.

I am posting in the bug thread because, in the east and west camps, the explosion event shook the screen after I finished talking to the generals, the demolitionist mages are gone, and the ways into the dungeons are still closed. There is nothing to exercise my characters' sword arms on, because there is an impenetrable iron gate and a solid wall of thorns between my characters and the places full of things I want them to put swords in.

After the explosion there should now be paths into the woods (iirc with the west bn you go in behind the building). Look near where the mages were working and you'll find a new area/narrow path  opened up fairly close by

4 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

I've never seen an example of a hyphen used in this way outside of a compound adjective construction (which is not the context here) in standard English - could you please share the specific basis you found for this outside Jeff's other work? I'm interested. Thanks!

As mentioned, this is difficult since you can't google hyphenated words.

Can you share the specific basis you've found for this being unacceptable?

On the plus side, it's been way too long since we've had a descriptivism vs. prescriptivism brawl here...

No problem. Here's one of many reliable guides synthesizing the commonly agreed uses of hyphens from APA and Chicago style. The Jeff Vogel usage is not on the list. :) Of course, he's free to be creative with language standards, in which case I guess my soul just isn't poetic enough to appreciate it. I also suppose since his version can't be supported in the same way as the below, we'll just agree to poetically disagree.

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/punctuation/hyphen_use.html

Edited by mikeprichard

In Fort Haven and have built an apothecary and a smithy.  Unfortunately I built the smithy in the north east room instead of one of the two buildings I had renovated.  Now Miranda will not acknowledge that I've built two shops and I'm unable to build another smithy in the empty renovated building as it is saying there is already a store of this type active in town and I do not need another one.  There is no way I can see to knock the smithy in the north east corner down.  I don't really want to start the game again as I've already played quite a few hours.

51 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

No problem. Here's one of many reliable guides synthesizing the commonly agreed uses of hyphens from APA and Chicago style. The Jeff Vogel usage is not on the list. :) Of course, he's free to be creative with language standards, in which case I guess my soul just isn't poetic enough to appreciate it. I also suppose since his version can't be supported in the same way as the below, we'll just agree to poetically disagree.

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/punctuation/hyphen_use.html

Actually, the CMOS, now that you mention it, lists about a kajillion uses of hyphens -- it has a 5 page table -- and there's a row for "ever-" constructions.

Nonetheless, this does not answer my question.  It's not about whether it's common usage -- of course it's not.  The question is whether it's erroneous.  Your list itself just says "here are some cases where everyone agrees" -- it doesn't say that cases not on the list are wrong, and it goes out of its way to disclaim exactly that.

So once again I ask, what is the specific basis for this being unacceptable?  Lack of presence on an explicitly non-comprehensive list doesn't cover it.

Ha, I could ask whether there's anything that says the spelling of "green" as "xynaljs" is strictly unacceptable. You're not going to find anything that says the latter isn't correct, but you're going to find dictionaries that show the former is. The obvious result is that "xynaljs" isn't considered correct by general English standards. So if there's nothing that says "ever-threaten" is correct by this same rule (my question which is also unanswered, and apparently unanswerable, unlike yours), I can't accept it as such. But I'm not really interested in an endless discussion of the limits of what is creatively acceptable, as those could of course be argued to any far-fetched extent. I think I'll manage to live with Jeff's "poetic" non-standard usage.

By the way, there's nothing in those kajillion uses (actually 10 pages, not 5 - http://fliphtml5.com/vvyc/egai/basic/) in the CMOS supporting combining "ever" with a verb in this way either. It is a thrilling read, though!

But now I'm curious as to whether "xynaljs" ever appears in the game... 'cuz there ain't nothin' to prove it's wrong. 😉

Just to be clear: as I said above, this is obviously a nitpick. I'm just happy to hear a full proofreading pass has apparently already been done. The quality of Spidweb writing is always far above the usual video game standard, and I don't doubt that's the case here as well.

Edited by mikeprichard

6 hours ago, Pig Catapult said:

So far, this is the only complaint we've gotten about this, so something weird is going on. Send us a report at support@spiderwebsoftware.com and maybe we can help?

1 hour ago, Lalla said:

In Fort Haven and have built an apothecary and a smithy.  Unfortunately I built the smithy in the north east room instead of one of the two buildings I had renovated.  Now Miranda will not acknowledge that I've built two shops and I'm unable to build another smithy in the empty renovated building as it is saying there is already a store of this type active in town and I do not need another one.  There is no way I can see to knock the smithy in the north east corner down.  I don't really want to start the game again as I've already played quite a few hours.

Again, we've only got one report of a problem here. You should be able to build the smithy anywhere in the fort and it will still count. You do need to make sure to build both the smithy and the apothecary, though. I also think the game requires you to rebuild two buildings.

If you still have problems, contact us at support@spiderwebsoftware.com

1 hour ago, Randomizer said:

If you go back in building shop mode at the smithy location and click on the smithy you should get the option to remove it. This should then let you move it to a different location.

Thank you Randomizer.  I'd never have worked that out by myself.  In the place terrain menu I had to try and build another smithy on top of the other one, then a little delete sign came up over the existing smith so I was able to delete it.

1 hour ago, mikeprichard said:

Ha, I could ask whether there's anything that says the spelling of "green" as "xynaljs" is strictly unacceptable. You're not going to find anything that says the latter isn't correct, but you're going to find dictionaries that show the former is. The obvious result is that "xynaljs" isn't considered correct by general English standards.

This is a false parallel, because there is no instance of anyone spelling "green" as "xynaljs".  If you could point to instances of people doing that, then I would absolutely acknowledge that it is a thing some English speakers are doing.

The other reason this is a false parallel is that spelling is not quite as malleable as usage.  Spelling really does follow rules -- yes, even in English; and while there are exceptions, there are no words in English where the spelling is completely arbitrary and has no relationship either to English phonology or to the spelling of an origin word in another language.

Usage has more flexibility, particularly in an analytic language like English.  Syntax and acceptable constructions shift all the time.

So if there's nothing that says "ever-threaten" is correct by this same rule (my question which is also unanswered, and apparently unanswerable, unlike yours), I can't accept it as such.

Yes -- it's a lot easier to disprove something than it is to prove it.  You are demanding positive proof.  (Actually, you're demanding positive proof that an authority likes the construction, which is different from whether it's actually used in the language.  Dictionaries and grammar books never have access to the entire living language.)

3 minutes ago, Par Compensation said:

This is a false parallel, because there is no instance of anyone spelling "green" as "xynaljs".  If you could point to instances of people doing that, then I would absolutely acknowledge that it is a thing some English speakers are doing.

The other reason this is a false parallel is that spelling is not quite as malleable as usage.  Spelling really does follow rules -- yes, even in English; and while there are exceptions, there are no words in English where the spelling is completely arbitrary and has no relationship either to English phonology or to the spelling of an origin word in another language.

Usage has more flexibility, particularly in an analytic language like English.  Syntax and acceptable constructions shift all the time.

Yes -- it's a lot easier to disprove something than it is to prove it.  You are demanding positive proof.  (Actually, you're demanding positive proof that an authority likes the construction, which is different from whether it's actually used in the language.  Dictionaries and grammar books never have access to the entire living language.)

Nah, I'm just looking for one other instance of the construction "ever-threaten". I haven't seen it yet, but I really would be curious if such exists. If not, this was all I needed to know. FYI, there is a simple way to search the internet for hyphenated text: http://symbolhound.com/?q=ever-threaten. It shows 0 results.

Edited by mikeprichard

Does anyone who's actually been playing the game find any merit/sense in the first GOG review: https://www.gog.com/game/queens_wish_the_conqueror? Specifically, quoting from the review: "The collision detection on the basic movement is a bit lacking, the fact that if you click on interactable objects and the movement towards there seems inconsistent doesn't help."

I think the problem encounter is a fault of the path algorithm having a limited range. That's been a problem through several games and cause some weird character path choices. It has gotten better so for some one that's played older games this should be expected.

Thanks, Randomizer. I can only imagine there are tons of things to be worked out whenever a new engine is crafted, but I haven't noticed any obvious pathing problems in the initial let's play videos of the first hour or so, so was curious what this might be referring to. It does seem from reading the forums here that other aspects of the UI (different ways to open doors(?) depending on context, how to use crafting/building menus to delete/replace structures) may need some refinement in later QW1 versions and/or QW2, but that's probably to be expected as well.

One pathing problem that I keep running into (no pun intended) is the algorithm's seeming preference to try and walk next to an enemy whenever possible, even when I am moving 90 degrees away.  Losing combat turns this way gets old, and I can't just go full keyboard since ranged attacks require the mouse... so it becomes a game of click-one-square-at-a-time.

Even if more nuanced pathing algorithms are impractical, it shouldn't be hard to put in a check that says "if you're about to walk next to an enemy, stop and prompt/beep at the player instead."

Illustration:

.x.....
....E..
...P...

Player (P) clicks to move to (x).  E is an enemy.  Obvious routes are
1. NW, NW, N.
2. NW, N, NW.
3. N, NW, NW.

Routes 1 and 2 leave enough AP to attack afterwards.
Route 3 means you run out of AP before even reaching square x.
Pathing engine seems to prefer route 3.

1 hour ago, Par Compensation said:

So I'm going to do the only thing I can: stick out my tongue at you and walk away.

Not just yet, Slarty! I haven't had time to add my two-penn'orth yet :)

FYI, there is a simple way to search the internet for hyphenated text: http://symbolhound.com/?q=ever-threaten.

SymbolHound, unfortunately, has a relatively small pool of pages through which it searches, at least compared to other search engines. In this instance, I'm afraid that it doesn't provide an accurate representation of what is out there – it's far from comprehensive!

8 hours ago, mikeprichard said:

I've never seen an example of a hyphen used in this way outside of a compound adjective construction (which is not the context here) in standard English - could you please share the specific basis you found for this outside Jeff's other work?

I'd be happy to! Hyphens are perhaps most commonly used to form compound adjectives, but that's far from the only way in which they are used. The hyphen is extremely versatile, and can be used to form a wide variety of different constructions.

For instance, one can use a hyphen to form compound nouns. Verse 3 of psalm 81 in the Book of Common Prayer contains two compound nouns:

‘Blow up the trumpet in the new-moon: even in the time appointed, and upon our solemn feast-day.’

If you’d like a more modern example, here’s an extract from the journal Music & Letters, April 1988, published by Oxford University Press:

‘These cases suggest an insufficiently critical attitude on the part of the editor to the source-text.’

Likewise, it’s possible to produce compound verbs. Collins, for instance, presents a whole bunch of compound verbs, one example of which is to ‘air-condition’. Indeed, if you want a more direct example of usage, the Financial Times has an article from 26th June 2016 entitled:

‘Wimbledon to air-condition grass as part of modernisation’

It’s also perfectly possible to construct compound verbs of the form adverb-verb, as is the case with 'ever-threaten'. See, for instance, this example, using the compound verb to ‘over-prepare’. This is taken from an article written on the BBC in January 2002:

‘They fail because they either over-prepare or fail to prepare at all.’

Finally, if you’d like an example directly related to the word we’re discussing here, take a look at this extract from Charles Muscatine’s ‘Chaucer and the French Tradition’, dated 1957:

‘The impressive, patterned edifice of the noble life, its dignity and richness, its regard for law and decorum, are all bulwarks against the ever-threatening forces of chaos, and in constant collision with them.’

I doubt you’ll worry about the use here – this is a standard compound adjective. However, I’m sure you’ll also agree that the construction used in this case is a verb being used in adjectival form. In the same way that a ‘threatening’ sea can ‘threaten’, one must also allow that an ‘ever-threatening’ sea must ‘ever-threaten’.

It’s an unusual construction, to be sure. But it’s most certainly not wrong, as I believe the examples I post above indicate. I would also argue that the construction is of a distinct use. Take a look at these side by side:

‘You, in turn, have lived a life of comfort, hiding from the responsibilities that ever threaten to crush you.’

‘You, in turn, have lived a life of comfort, hiding from the responsibilities that ever-threaten to crush you.’

To me, the second sentence emphasises the continuous nature of the threat, that is, it makes the threat seem more constant and ever present. I also pronounce it differently, in a way that emphasises this second meaning, but that's probably a matter of personal preference.

Sorry for the slight text dump here. But I hope it shows that points like this have been thought through!

Wow, Ess-Eschas, 1,000 points for thorough research! Almost all of those categories of uses are actually captured in the Chicago Manual of Style table I linked earlier, but I can see how "ever-threaten" could possibly be seen as a (admittedly unusual and unique) creative extension of the more generally accepted compound adjective "ever-threatening", which itself however is of a type already covered by the above as well. "Over-prepare" may also equate, but only if changed to active verb form. "Ever-threaten" is therefore still quite odd and unprecedented, but as I also explained to Slarty over a later chat, it's naturally Jeff's option.

My primary original concern was that what I assumed was clearly a "typo" (as it has no known equivalent usage elsewhere) at the very beginning of the game would be indicative of many more errors later in the text, but I can see you're not one to miss a detail, and if you've been contributing to the proofreading so far, I'm satisfied the polish of the writing will be up to its usual Spiderweb standard. Thanks again to all for indulging this little discussion!

Edited by mikeprichard

6 hours ago, Spidweb said:

So far, this is the only complaint we've gotten about this, so something weird is going on. Send us a report at support@spiderwebsoftware.com and maybe we can help?

On a fresh inspection of my save files, it turns out TriRodent was correct and I was mistaken. I'd completely missed the interactable wheel in the top floor of the gatehouse and had only noticed the demoltionists by the north thorn wall.

This was my bad. I'm very sorry for troubling you and for getting cross at TriRodent.

1 hour ago, Pig Catapult said:

On a fresh inspection of my save files, it turns out TriRodent was correct and I was mistaken. I'd completely missed the interactable wheel in the top floor of the gatehouse and had only noticed the demoltionists by the north thorn wall.

This was my bad. I'm very sorry for troubling you and for getting cross at TriRodent.

Glad you figured it out. We're good

{internet fist bump...}

31 minutes ago, ladyonthemoon said:

In Tainly mines, after clearing the place, if you leave and come back into it, there are skeletons and slimes that have respawned. Attacking them result in an error message "You cannot attack friendly townfolk."

Screen shot (I didn't manage catching the message). Newly bought full version 1.0. :)

1568558712.jpg

You cleaned out the dungeon.  Going back into it, you're now in some guy's laboratory and trying to attack his research subjects...

Or he's using the slimes to break down the cinnabar to make potions with it...

Or...

They are friendlies in this case.