Kickstarter GoG keys?

SpoonFULL

As a kickstarter backer, I received an email to confirm the delivery email address.  However the email only mentioned delivery of Steam keys and DRM free download, and there was no mention of GoG keys!

I know that the game is coming to GoG, and I prefer the GoG platform.  Is there going to be a GoG key offered to backers?

Quoting from the top post in the Kickstarter FAQ:

That is the plan. Steam currently allows us to send keys to our backers. If this policy doesn't change in the next year, we have every intention of providing Steam Keys.

As for GOG.com keys, I would like to send those out too. I'll talk to them when the time comes and see if I can make it happen. Again, I can't predict their policies as of a year from now, but I'll do what I can.

Last updated: Thu, May 31 2018 10:49 PM CEST

The most constructive course of action appears to be to lobby pester GOG to support keys for Kickstarted games.

Edited by Minion

Not being able to play on GOG would be a showstopper for me, so as another KS backer, here's hoping this happens soon. If not, I'll have to ask Jeff to somehow trade my Steam key (which I will never use) for a new GOG one. Regardless, it would be extremely disappointing if as a day one KS backer, I wouldn't have the same choice to play on GOG as I would have if I just bought the game tomorrow after release as a new customer.

Edited by mikeprichard

Emailed Jeff about this a while ago (i.e. the possibility to get GOG keys as a Kickstarter backer, which despite the likely difficulties due to Jeff not having full control of the distribution policies, would obviously make a lot of sense - an early backer should ideally not be disadvantaged compared to later customers when it comes to distribution platform choice). Will see how things go. I won't be opening a Steam account ever, so I may eventually end up having to buy the game a second time just to get it on GOG and actually play it...

Edited by mikeprichard

14 minutes ago, mikeprichard said:

Emailed Jeff about this a while ago (i.e. the possibility to get GOG keys as a Kickstarter backer, which despite the likely difficulties due to Jeff not having full control of the distribution policies, would obviously make a lot of sense - an early backer should ideally not be disadvantaged compared to later customers when it comes to distribution platform choice). Will see how things go. I won't be opening a Steam account ever, so I may eventually end up having to buy the game a second time just to get it on GOG and actually play it...

? I'm confused (which is pretty much normal). Are you saying you want to play online through GoG (I didn't know that was possible), or just download from them?

When I got my email earlier it had a link to Humble.  At Humble there was a button to download (didn't even have to log in there to do so). Clicked on it and 125ish mb later it was in my download folder and from there to installed and ready to play.

Granted it's not in my GoG library, but I have it and can go go back to Humble later (I think) if I had to re download.

Edited by TriRodent
Forgot to ad: No going to Steam anywhere in the process

Just now, mikeprichard said:

Right, I want it in my GOG library with all my other Spidweb titles and a hundred other games I own. So far the Humble link has only Steam keys, which I won't be using.

Ah, yes I'd like it there too.  But that's way beyond my paygrade. Perhaps Jeff can twist some arms for QW2/Geneforge remakes

Oh, great! I had written you an email just earlier today at the main spidweb address, but I guess I'll write there too. Thanks a lot for working this out.

EDIT: Just saw you already responded to my email, so I'll wait for the keys. Again, appreciate this effort.

Edited by mikeprichard

11 minutes ago, madrigan said:

I was a Kickstarter supporter, but I don't care what site the game comes from. I got some long code from Steam, but I didn't need it for the direct download. Am I going to need it eventually?

Not having Steam, take this with the appropriate sized grain of salt...

I believe that code will put the game into your Steam library so that you won't have to find today's email sometime in the future if you want to redownload it.

Much like the GoG code Jeff is hoping to get to those who want it.

If you don't use Steam, then you don't need the Steam code for anything. That code just proves to Steam that you own the game, allowing you to download it from them. If you don't use Steam, all you need to remember for possible future downloads is the Humble Bundle link.

I just received my requested GOG game and hint book keys as a Kickstarter backer via email from Spiderweb, and as I also mentioned in my email reply, I wanted to thank Jeff & co. for being so quick in providing these keys to their loyal supporters. I'm really looking forward to starting my (DRM-free and GOG-approved) adventure in this new series!