Queen’s Wish Modability

Jarinex

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ZorroDragonslayer said:

Yes. I modded after about an hour into the game. Nothing heavy yet but have modded quite a bit. Not making a Bovine Mod per se but have done some things. The methods are similar to previous games. Kudos to Jeff for that capability!! ❤️❤️❤️

How did you do that? Where did you get the editor?

Editing is primarily done with a text editor. Most of the game mechanics and the story itself runs on text that includes fairly simple code instructions and logic forks. Secondarily, you can design new looking items or change colors of existing items with a graphics app, as well as new looking characters for your party, but that takes more time. You can also create new sounds with an audio app.

If you've played "Avadon 3 - The Warborn" using the Bovine mod you would see a full example of what could be accomplished.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on modding for Queen's Wish. After completing the game, and I'm sure I could replay it many more times and not see or do everything, I've been working on a mod. So far not as hugely ambitious as a Bovine mod like in the past, but a reasonable sized one nonetheless. I did some limited modding of the game on my playthrough, too. Now, mind you, I do not do any reverse engineering and have no intention to expose any proprietary information and never have and never will. It is just simple editing, basically, and for fun and to make Queen's Wish more desirable.

At this point I have run into one disappointing challenge so far. The engine seems to have a hold over processing or storing variable data of the dialogue pics. It does not work like the previous engines. Why the change was necessary I have no idea. Maybe the solution is something I can't find with the number of hours I have put into it. It could be right under my nose. Maybe the answer is purging a dialogue pic before loading another new one  but so far that approach has only loaded an unintended seemingly random pic. This is a big point for me.

Maybe someone with knowledge of the change in mechanics that caused the situation could add their two cents. I love the game and everything Spiderweb Software has made.

I still commend, and thank, Jeff for leaving much of the game outside the engine which allows for modding.

Edited by ZorroDragonslayer
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the changes in v102 files that are frequently used for moddding, I have not seen anything that would require any mod changes from v1. The mod I have been working on will work with the new version without changes. What I have seen is a few stat tweeks to some shields and weapons in the dagger types, and a few typo corrections.