The Bad Get Polling!

Nioca

Now I'm curious.

EDIT: Of course, this post just had to be on a new page. Quotes for context.

By Imban:

Quote:
I voted for Kharprev because I liked (making fun of) his old name.
By Ephesos:
Quote:
Eventually, people will forget that. I'm sure of it.

(flees)

--------------------

IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:

I will not send out batalions composed wholly of robots or skeletons against heroes who have qualms about killing living beings.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally written by *i

Quote:
quote:

-X- will also say anything that he thinks is worth saying.

Oh really now? Let's see what DC says about that...

-X- sighs at his poor choice of words. What -X- meant was that he will say what he honestly thinks is worth saying. Not anything that pops into -X-'s head at random moments! Usually these have actual content, but there are exceptions. Look at the Adventure Quest forum.

-X- gives himself a "Giana" point in -X-'s Big Book O' Personality Classification for his poor choice of words.

The results of this poll:

In first, with 34% of the vote: STALKER

In second, with 27% of the vote: VAHKOHS

In third, with 22% of the vote: THE IMMORTAL

I plan on holding this poll next year too. Of course, everyone who got less then 5% of the vote won't be included, just to sort of narrow it down.

Here are the villains that have been eliminated:

• Spiegelbrecher (Canopy: Manufactured Womb)
  • 'Ravaging Raven' Roger (A Large Rebellion)
  • Marnok (Backwater Calls)
  • Valzier (A Perfect Forest)
  • Polonius (Magus of Cattalon)
  • Attorosi (Rats Aplenty)
  • Hana (Roses of Reckoning)
  • Thralni (Where the Rivers Meet)
  • Kiersten (Xerch'de)

Which leaves:

• Emery J. Bishop (Canopy: Manufactured Womb)
  • General Trahison (Canopy: Manufactured Womb)
  • Lich Guy (The Cave of No Return)
  • Stalker (A Small Rebellion)
  • Jaen (A Small Rebellion)
  • Sabertooth (Mad Ambition)
  • Zenbu/Casimir (Mad Ambition)
  • Ebhert (A Good Beginning)
  • Duzaki (Babysitting)
  • Kjellka (Babysitting)
  • Kaejil Nyh'yltak (Backwater Calls)
  • Nolagh-Khar (Bahssikava)
  • Galthrax (Bahssikava)
  • Death (Death at Chapmans)
  • Janok (Dilecia)
  • Vahkohs (Diplomacy With the Dead)
  • Mayanard (Diplomacy With the Dead)
  • Kharprev (Druids of Krell)
  • The Immortal (Echoes: Renegade)
  • Profanus Pyre (Echoes: Renegade)
  • Licgan (Emerald Mountain)
  • Dalaghant (Exodus)
  • Nathaganth (Exodus)
  • Putidus (Lord Putidus)
  • Arivan (A Perfect Forest)
  • Kurojutsu (Roses of Reckoning)
  • Rentar-Ihrno (Undead Valley)

Till next halloween...

Quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:
Nioca, how did your signature get bolded in that last post?
Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
He forgot to close a bold tag. UBB hates that.
I have no idea how my signature got bolded. I haven't edited the post at all, and there doesn't seem to be a problem now. So that means either you two are hallucinating, or, more likely, the UBB is having a really bad week. My bet is on the latter.

Stalker didn't have zero character development... he was a character that didn't need it as much. You knew from the start that somebody had to be leading the Hill Runners, but you didn't know who until pretty much the end of the scenario.

That kind of villain isn't always bad, either. Some villains tend to hog the stage (*cough* Rentar *cough*), and on occasion, it's just rewarding to find out that, yes, there actually was somebody running the show (I like to think that the villain in EoR has this down).

Quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I have no idea how my signature got bolded. I haven't edited the post at all, and there doesn't seem to be a problem now. So that means either you two are hallucinating, or, more likely, the UBB is having a really bad week. My bet is on the latter.

Might be browser stuff... but yeah, the UBB system is probably at death's door right now.

The only thing I liked about Stalker, as a character, was his reaction to your killing Jaen. We never hear about Stalker though, ASR's interesting conflict is shown through the Hill Runners, not Stalker.

What doesn't make sense to me is that although Stalker got first place, Jaen wasn't even close to him. Jaen and Stalker are exactly the same, except that Jaen fights for the Empire and Stalker fights for the Hill Runners. Both had similar motives and tactics, and both believed that the ends justified the means.

I think the reason that most of us think Stalker is interesting, is that, because we hardly ever see Stalker, we fill in the gaps in his character ourselves. The setting is what makes Stalker interesting.

Quote:
Originally written by Spookee Salmon:
This should also leave Smoo plotting ways to make a more effective villain. Only 1 out of 4, with 3 scenarios....
And the only one to survive was Kaejil. This can only mean one thing: I must convert all my future villains into demons or demon lords. I can see it all now. They did it because they were demons and demons are evil. Rock on!

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
Jaen is not a villain - Stalker is. Jaen is a good guy.
Typical Empire propaganda. :p

But seriously, Jaen is just as much of a villain as Stalker. As Slith said, both think that the ends justify the means, and both are pretty ruthless. And who's to say that the party doesn't arrive in the scenario working for the villain?

Really, either both are villains, or both are good guys.

Quote:
Originally written by Smoo:
Quote:
This should also leave Smoo plotting ways to make a more effective villain. Only 1 out of 4, with 3 scenarios....
And the only one to survive was Kaejil. This can only mean one thing: I must convert all my future villains into demons or demon lords. I can see it all now. They did it because they were demons and demons are evil. Rock on!
The reason Polonius didn't get many votes is because you only fought him for the first 1/5th of the scenario. The rest of the scenario, you were trying to get home.

Attorosi fared poorly because... well, no offense, but he's a rat. You would really have to pull out all the stops to make a top class villain with a rat.

And don't forget, Marnok was also a demon, but he didn't do so well.

The reason why your villains didn't do so well is because your scenarios don't revolve around the scenario's villain. Which, if you really look at it, is quite an achievement.

Quote:
Originally written by Nioca:
The reason why your villains didn't do so well is because your scenarios don't revolve around the scenario's villain. Which, if you really look at it, is quite an achievement.
Neither do my scenarios, I think — except maybe LP, whose villain is probably my favorite of the villains I've created. Still, I don't think I've written a really memorable villain in a scenario.

That's one of the things I'd like to try at some point, perhaps in a short scenario.

I was joking. Although now that I think about it, if I did replace the villain in my upcoming scenario with a generic demon lord then the scenario would be absolutely horrible.

I have actually considered making a demon scenario that would concentrate on why the demons are "evil." I'll probably never make it though since it would just turn out to be another monster plague scenario. And I'm up to here with (my) monster plague scenarios.

Edit:

Quote:
Attorosi fared poorly because... well, no offense, but he's a rat. You would really have to pull out all the stops to make a top class villain with a rat.
But he's a very big rat... I suppose you weren't intimidated by his threats then.

The narrator? I don't remember meeting the narrator in the beta...

By Smoo:

Quote:
I have actually considered making a demon scenario that would concentrate on why the demons are "evil." I'll probably never make it though since it would just turn out to be another monster plague scenario. And I'm up to here with (my) monster plague scenarios.
Speak of the... demon. This sounds like the puny scenario that I'm constantly revising and will never be released. Just be glad I didn't release what I had half a year ago...

(Shudder.)

--------------------

If my Legions of Terror are defeated in a battle, I will quietly withdraw and regroup instead of launching a haphazard mission to assassinate the hero.

What interests me is that everyone is so careful to only release good scenarios. BoE has quite a few pieces of crap, and the author not only learned from the mechanical aspect of the process, but by the critical reviews of the the work.

So, by all means work on those scenarios, and finish them. Once released, they can only make you a better designer. Or kill you. Either's possible.

Quote:
Originally written by Andraste:
I think that sounds like fun. I would play it if I had BOA.
Correction: You would play it if you had BoA, if I ever bothered to complete it. :p

Seriously though, you like the idea? Hmm. Perhaps I used to be more creative, and now I mistake that creativity for complete insanity.

Well, I'll give some thought to going back and finishing it. I think I have to start from square one again, because I probably deleted it.

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:
Quote:
Speak of the... demon. This sounds like the puny scenario that I'm constantly revising and will never be released.
It also sounds a lot like Khoth's BoE scenario, which is called, appropriately enough, Demon. (No monster plagues, though.)

Quote:
What interests me is that everyone is so careful to only release good scenarios. BoE has quite a few pieces of crap, and the author not only learned from the mechanical aspect of the process, but by the critical reviews of the the work.

So, by all means work on those scenarios, and finish them. Once released, they can only make you a better designer. Or kill you. Either's possible.
Moreover, even if your scenario is really good, most people are going to call it a piece of crap anyway. By all means, make bad scenarios: most of the philistines here won't be able to tell the difference anyway. :p

I don't know if my villain will be considered any good. I'm aiming for trying to make the party somewhat sympathetic to the villain's cause, yet they still hate his guts. Whether I pull it off is yet to be seen.

I know this isn't related, Kelandon, but I sent you a PM a week ago about your scenario.

By Salmon:

Quote:

I'm not too sure. I'm not going to beat myself up if I release a scenario that everyone hates; it'll be a learning experience, as you said. However, I can look at my scenario and see a lot that is wrong with it now. I'm not a perfectionist, and the scenario is puny anyways (one outdoor and four towns), but I'm not going to release something I know I'll regret (I'd rather release something I think I'll regret). If I wanted to, I could put several hours into my scenario straight, and then send out the beta. But after hearing Ephesos say that DoK could have been better if he didn't rush it, I'm not going to attempt to make the deadline.

Of course, second year workload might have something to do with it too.

--------------------

I will be selective in the hiring of assassins. Anyone who attempt to strike down the hero the first instant his back is turned will not even be considered for the job.

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:
But after hearing Ephesos say that DoK could have been better if he didn't rush it, I'm not going to attempt to make the deadline.
Rushing is relative... three weeks, however, was just insane. Three weeks from basically nothing to everything. So if you've already got a fair amount done, the deadline is completeld doable.

Well, I won't let any suckiness that I observe keep me from releasing ItSoD. However, with my complete and sudden change of schedule, there aren't many solid blocks of time that I can use to complete it. So maybe it'll get done by the competition, or maybe I'll just have to wait until the next one anyway.

Originally by Dintiradan:

Quote:
But after hearing Ephesos say that DoK could have been better if he didn't rush it, I'm not going to attempt to make the deadline.
But on the other hand, DoK isn't bad the way it is now. Spend a few hours on it to get it done, wait a few days before you take another look at it, spend another few hours fixing it up, and release it for beta testing. You may regret it releasing it later on, but you've been around long enough and put enough thought into it already that we players won't regret that you released it. Besides, it might be helpful to have a few beta testers to look at it and give a few suggestions.

Dikiyoba.

Quote:
Originally written by Demoniac Dikiyoba:
You may regret it releasing it later on, but you've been around long enough and put enough thought into it already that we players won't regret that you released it.
Yeah, in order for us to regret the release, it'd have to be really, really, really bad. Like Proving Grounds bad. :p

By Ephesos:

Quote:
Rushing is relative... three weeks, however, was just insane. Three weeks from basically nothing to everything. So if you've already got a fair amount done, the deadline is completeld doable.
Quote:
Of course, second year workload might have something to do with it too.
--------------------

'Nuff said.

• 1 year later...