I miss geneforge

I know this is most definitely not an option, but I really wish they would make more geneforge games. Honestly, it was my favorite series that you guys ever produced. I have played some of your more recent games like the avadon series, but they just don't quite measure up. The gameplay was phenomenal for its time, the story arc was quite incredible (regardless of whether you thought 3 was a bit lacking), and the choice-making felt so dramatic in the game (so intense that I never saved before making a huge decision because hey that's life, you have to deal with the outcome). The story was written so eloquently and most of the factions felt so real. There was worth in saving people, worth in taking sides, and worth even in the creation of creatures, which grew to a certain extent to be like pets (it was also really beneficial not to just sacrifice them). Although there were factions that most felt were inherently evil, they still had enough substance that you could see their point of view and understand where they were coming from, even if you didn't agree with their choices. Although i felt the trakovites could have been much more expansive, I played through each game with every single faction, and enjoyed it every single time. I've played through them so frequently that they've truly lost their playthrough value, which I have to say was unbelievably extensive (especially 5). I don't know, maybe i'm just a poor sap who is nostalgic, but you guys made a truly phenomenal series with geneforge. Maybe geneforge could be extended to another region of the world. In 5 there were delegates from an entirely different part of the world (across the seas), that we never even got to see. There could be tons of room for another story there, especially since some of these people (like the energy hungry human in 1) were a core part of this series. All I'm saying is that I loved that world, and I'm sure there are plenty more out there just like me. But anyways, regardless of what I'm saying here, thank you guys for a great game. They don't make games like that anymore. 

Guy, singular.  Spiderweb is just one guy (Jeff Vogel) who does it all (well, a couple of logistical support staff, but all the programming is him).

Back on point.  I don't know, I think that GF5 wrapped up the long story arc fairly well.  While going across the sea might be a fun trip, there's just only so many ways you can do the 'weak protagonist grows extremely powerful while going on assorted adventures' in any particular universe & we had five chapters worth in this particular story.  On the good news front, in assorted interviews about his upcoming game (Queen's Wish), Jeff has mentioned that his/SW's next big project will be remaking Geneforge 1 so you'll be able to revisit it with an updated game engine & probably some new content.

Anyway, welcome to the madhouse. Leave your sanity at the door, etc.

Also I forgot to mention how awesome the canisters are, choosing whether or not to take them. I did an entire playthrough, in the geneforge where making the decision to take the canisters really makes a difference, without taking any canisters and when i finally completed, it felt like I really earned the win. If you take too many canisters you end up becoming an unbalanced madman and I never really liked that, though I did think it was pretty cool the way your fury just destroyed everything in your path.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently playing G5 and enjoying it.  My creations aren't going rogue constantly like they were in G3.   They all have the suggested two levels of intelligence.

Another thing I've noticed with G3 is that I'm not getting as much experience in battle as I am in G5.  It's odd because I'm playing both on normal with the same amount of creations.  I've leveled up much faster in G5, and I like the fact that I was able to get access to upgraded and new creatures a lot faster in G5.

Yesterday, (in G5) I encountered the hostile ornks at the same time I was fighting some rebel serviles.  Needless to say, I had to reload and take out the ornks first.  I love big battles like these.   I started out with the Avernum series.  The battle during the Blessed Athame quest in A6 is a blast with all the creatures attacking my party along with the humans hiding out at the fort.

I'll probably go back and finish G3 later and then check out the other games, including the Geneforge remake.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, BloomingLilac said:

I can't remember my character's level in G3, but some monsters were only giving one experience. I just got to the third island.

In G5, I'm getting 18-25 with the same amount of creatures at around level 23 or 24.

I like those blue stinging clawbugs in G5.  Will I ever be able to create them?

Nope. Not without a mod. Buuuuut... it's easy to make them with a mod.

You simply replace the Plated Clawbug for the PC with those clawbugs or if you want more balance, the battle-alphas which cost more and are meh creations in GF5.

It works mostly like this: The cost for the creations are "locked", I haven't found a way to change them. I.e. the "2nd battle creation, upgraded" will always cost the same whether you have the Stinging clawbug there or the Plated one. Which means that if you put the much more powerful Stinging Clawbug there, you get a very powerful creation, very cheaply. That's why I suggest replacing the Battle Alphas instead - the cost is more balanced and you won't end up with a party of 3 Stinging Clawbugs and 4 Vlish till you get Gazers and Wartralls. 

If you opt to replace the Plated Clawbug with the stinging blue ones, the game will be skewed in your favor. If you opt to replace the Battle Alphas, you will be buying points and stuff for Battle Alphas but you would be making Stinging Clawbugs. 
Unfortunately I cannot walk you through it now, but in the near future I will if you're interested. It is very simple. 

G5 is a very very solid game. 
Self-promotion: And if you want more from GF5, you can try my mods. 🙂

Edited by alhoon

Thank you for replying.  I might be interested in modding the game, but I'll probably wait until I finish it as is.  So far, I really like the Cryoas.  I had 4 of them for quite a while before they were killed.  One was level 23, I think.  It was sad to see him go.  Normally, I would've reloaded, but I have access to the upgraded Vlish, Corrupted Thahds, and Plated Clawbugs now.  I'm looking forward to playing will all the different critters.

Edited by BloomingLilac