Sign in to follow this  
Magic Master

Blades of Avernum is dead :(

Posted (edited)

I am really sorry, but this game is dead. No more new scenarios.  Not a single new topic. I was hoping they would make BoA Remake. But that will never gonna happen. :(  I played every BoA scenario i could find.  Enjoyed in all of them. So, thank you all for your hard work. This little community is awesome.

Edited by Magic Master

Chin up. There’s no reason to be so gloomy!

Blades of Avernum is an old game, and this is an old forum. It gets a little quiet from time to time, and that’s perfectly normal. If you look back through the last few pages of posts, you’ll see that there are occasional gaps of months or even years between new content. A little period of quietness is nothing new!

I can assure you there are still plenty of people around who play BoA, myself included. The old girl has a lot of life in her yet!

It’s easy to think about standing on the edges of a community, looking in, and to focus on the points you don’t like about it. But remember that you are part of the community, too, and that what you contribute to it is important. If you’re concerned that this board isn’t all that active, then make some posts! If you’re concerned that scenarios haven’t been released for a while, then make a scenario!

If you’ve played every BoA scenario out there, you’re in the perfect position to design a scenario yourself. You’ll have found things in those scenarios that you really liked, ideas that stayed with you, and you’ll also have seen design that you didn’t get along with. You’ll now know what works, and what doesn’t. So what’s stopping you from making one yourself? Trust me, you'll have fun!

If using the editor is daunting, you could always consider trying to port a little Blades of Exile scenario just to learn the ropes. Here’s a list of scenarios you can use to get started:

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/blades/scen_stuff/solid.html

After all, if you’re not using the editor, you’re missing out on one of the key features of Blades of Avernum!

5 hours ago, Kelandon said:

... there's at least one more scenario coming, albeit slowly.

And potentially a second, too, although on a much, much smaller scale. It won't be for a while though, because sorting out all the dense coding needed to make the little thing work will be … interesting.

I’ve been getting back into blades and trying out some of the popular scenarios for the past few months. There are lurkers out there like myself playing the game and hiding in the shadows. 😉

Welcome to the boards, Jarinex! Good on you for showing support for Blades! Even if we don't say much on the boards right at this moment, there are still plenty of players out there ...

Do make sure to play Kelandon's scenarios if you haven't already. They are excellent, I can assure you!

I'll pitch in as well... I too hop in once every so many weeks to have a look what's going on here, and have been working on a major rework of Where the rivers meet. Given the fact that the original was mediocre at best, I promise that this new one will be more like what the original was supposed to be. But, progress is a crawl.

Thanks for the welcome! 

I have heard of Bhaskivva and Exodus, and I hope to play them soon. I’ve been a little disappointed in some scenarios I’ve played, but I guess I’m picky and want to play ones similar to what Vogel made.

Where the rivers meet also interested me as well. Does it work for the the most part (I.e no game breaking bugs)? I thought I saw there was one by the Chessrook let’s play, which kind of worried me. If not, I would love to play it. 

I do look forward to other scenarios like homeland and this remake. The game may be 15 years old, but It’s cool to see that it has a small amount of people who are still interested in it.

If you play Bahssikava/Exodus/others of my scenarios, bear in mind that I'm still around and check these forums, so if you need help — Bahs is pretty challenging — you can always come here and ask.

Good, I tend to (usually) like challenges.

I actually have been editing the scenarios to be more challenging. I played escape from the pit, and liked torment, so I adjusted enemy health for each scenario. It worked well for the four Vogel scenarios, but it’s been a little hit or miss for user based ones. I might avoid it on your scenarios and see how I fare, as I’ve heard both bhask and exodus are tough.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:40 PM, Jarinex said:

Where the rivers meet also interested me as well. Does it work for the the most part (I.e no game breaking bugs)? I thought I saw there was one by the Chessrook let’s play, which kind of worried me. If not, I would love to play it. 

I assume you mean the issue where he got stuck in blackness? I have no idea why that happened... He was using exactly the version that I have on my computer, and so I wasn't able to suggest a fix... It might have to do with him using the Windows version. When I made these scenarios I was never able to play test them on Windows, as I didn't have access to Windows versions of BoA (let alone a Windows PC). Others did beta it on Windows and did not encounter this bug, so...

In summary, you may or may not encounter that bug 😛 

Frankly, looking back at WtRM, it was long and convoluted and really not very good. The sense of humor was... well, clearly that of a 15-year-old. I promise the remake will improve on it by leaps and bounds. But, it also won't be released anytime soon ;)