Tree Graphics

Dahak

Disclaimer: my sense of aesthetics is far from good.

#1: Good if the area is meant to be vibrant/happy/well-looked-after.

#2: Unlike the other three options, has a good mix of trees. They're not all conifers though, which looks like what you're trying with the other three.

#3: Probably my least favourite, at least these trees by themselves.

#4: Thick, bushy evergreens; nice for an rough, unkempt forest if that's what you're trying for. Maybe throw in a few from #3 for variety.

Meh. Can't decide for sure. #2 fits in best with the other colours of the screenshot, but the edge is very small. The crowd has obviously spoken for #1, though.

--------------------

Identify with the proverbial pot much?

- Roy (OotS #146)

The thing is that the time frame is fall. The conifers still have their needles and the leaves of the deciduous are turning.

Maybe it would be better if there were more deciduous trees, or perhaps I should create clumps with a certain type having a greater presence. Ideas?

How did the first one appear to you?

Ecologically, you wouldn't find conifers next to the water. They need to stay roots-dry, in general. I would recommend putting some decidious and some brush next to the water, and then concentrating conifer stands away from development. Also, deciduous are usually the first trees to grow in freshly disturbed soil.

I liked #2 (of the most recent set) the most, but would recommend having one field stubble cut to reflect that grain is harvested in late summer/early fall.

Quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:
Ecologically, you wouldn't find conifers next to the water. They need to stay roots-dry, in general.

Odd... I can drive for 15 minutes to the mountain to the river and I see confiers near the river. Although you would be right that they are not next to water. There is a bunch of rock lining the water's edge and the trees grow back a bit.

I would recommend putting some deciduous and some brush next to the water, and then concentrating conifer stands away from development. Also, deciduous are usually the first trees to grow in freshly disturbed soil.

I am thinking I will make a rocky/water edge set of floors. The problem will transitioning it to dirt edges... Maybe it would be better just to put some scrub brush by the edge followed by conifers.
I did not know that deciduous grow first in disturbed soil.

I liked #2 (of the most recent set) the most, but would recommend having one field stubble cut to reflect that grain is harvested in late summer/early fall.
Not if it is a winter grain crop such as wheat (winter wheat). But then this isn't winter wheat and it doesn't grow this tall until after winter passes.

Truth be told the equivalent time frame I an looking at is early autumn followed by a mild winter. You may not know it since but the exact moment this scenario begins is the Harvest Festival and the start of the harvest season.

This is a world of powerful magic is it not? Hence real - world ecological rules, the rules of a non - magical world like ours, could possibly be violated at will. Anything could grow anywhere, if the magic spells existed for this to happen. I mean, in the Avernum games you have magical trees developed by the Tower of Magi, they grow in the most lifeless and inhospitable caves.

Quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:
This is a world of powerful magic is it not?
Usually not. Gravity, time, and other mundane forces are always at work. Dahak stated the season, which indicates that the planet rotates about an axis which isn't perpendicular to orbit at all times. That's not magic, though it is pretty darn special. :p

Quote:
Quote:
Usually not. Gravity, time, and other mundane forces are always at work. Dahak stated the season, which indicates that the planet rotates about an axis which isn't perpendicular to orbit at all times. That's not magic, though it is pretty darn special. :p
No, it indicates that the season's change. For all you know the fall season could be brought on by an evil magic spell which failed to bring about an eternal winter.

Long ago a band of heroes may have fought back. Though they defeated the Winter King, he still managed to set his spell in motion. Every year the spell gathers power, but it only lasts long enough for a single winter. Then the forces of spring take hold once more as winter retreats to gather its power once more. An eternal spell going about its work never fully succeeded.

Quite sad.

Quote:
Originally written by Dahak:
Quote:
Quote:
No, it indicates that the season's change. For all you know the fall season could be brought on by an evil magic spell which failed to bring about an eternal winter.

Long ago a band of heroes may have fought back. Though they defeated the Winter King, he still managed to set his spell in motion. Every year the spell gathers power, but it only lasts long enough for a single winter. Then the forces of spring take hold once more as winter retreats to gather its power once more. An eternal spell going about its work never fully succeeded.

Quite sad.
I better see that in the intro text. Or at least in a book from some inaccessible (except to Imban) bookshelf. :p

I've numbered all 8 images in order of their appearance in the thread.

1. This one seems artificial. frown
  2. This one is probably my favourite of the first four. Generally you see a mixture of broadleaf and coniferous trees, unless you're far north or in the mountains.
  3. This one makes me think of a young forest, possibly a plantation.
  4. Nice, but I think the trees are a little too large.
  5. Perfect for a place where broadleaf trees are sparse. This one ranks equal to #2 in my opinion, but for a different situation. I still don't like the trees of #1, but it's better when they're not the only kind of tree present.
  6. Same as above.
  7. Same as above?
  8. I like the autumn tree, but I think it would work better in larger clumps rather than the occasional lone tree amongst conifers.

For myself (ie if I used graphics like these in a scenario), I'd like an option of all conifers, all broadleafs (autumn and summer), and a mixture.

• 2 weeks later...