Game ending glitch - Magi Tower, below Adze-Haakai

Hi - forgive me if I am being a complete idiot here, but my party is trapped in the downstairs room that leads up to Adze.

I have even killed Adze, thinking it would enable a way out, but no luck.

I am stuck, literally. The gate is shut and I can't get out.

Any ideas? Or is it just a glitch that means I lose 6 levels of characters and 10 hours of gameplay?

Stuck here

11 hours ago, Epoxy War said:

Can you retrace exactly what happened, starting from the time you entered the room?

I cannot, unfortunately. I wasn't exactly paying attention, as the four demons ambushed me.

Still, I can't figure out how it could have happened. If my party was on that side of the gate, how did the gate wheel get triggered?

2 hours ago, Woodman said:

Still, I can't figure out how it could have happened. If my party was on that side of the gate, how did the gate wheel get triggered?

This is an excellent question.  It's possible the special encounter automatically closes the gate, and there is something later in the sequence (presumably when you kill Adze-Haakai) that opens it again.  So I was trying to figure out if there's any way you could skip that (for example, if you used a cheat code to erase him instead of actually killing him), or if it's just something you haven't seen -- a hidden button, some piece of furniture you have to examine, whatever.

I know you described this as a "glitch" but it's not something that's been reported before, from what I can see, so it would be good to rule out the possibility that there is no glitch and you simply haven't done whatever is needed to open the gate again.

Do you have the quest to kill Adze-Haakai, or did you somehow stumble into his room way before the game expected you to?

1 hour ago, Epoxy War said:

This is an excellent question.  It's possible the special encounter automatically closes the gate, and there is something later in the sequence (presumably when you kill Adze-Haakai) that opens it again.  So I was trying to figure out if there's any way you could skip that (for example, if you used a cheat code to erase him instead of actually killing him), or if it's just something you haven't seen -- a hidden button, some piece of furniture you have to examine, whatever.

I know you described this as a "glitch" but it's not something that's been reported before, from what I can see, so it would be good to rule out the possibility that there is no glitch and you simply haven't done whatever is needed to open the gate again.

Do you have the quest to kill Adze-Haakai, or did you somehow stumble into his room way before the game expected you to?

Unfortunately I went into the room without the Demonslayer sword, so he didn't actually die - I think he escaped. I switched to "casual" mode when I realized I no choice but to fight him.

That quest is not in my log. However, it might have been, then gone away after I (almost) killed him? I do have the Onyx scepter, which I believe ends the quest?

2 hours ago, Randomizer said:

The quest doesn't end until you turn it in downstairs.

Demonslayer is on the body next to Adze-Haakai. I don't remember if you actually need it to kill him since you can use other attacks.

I thought I had to forge the Demonslayer sword first...oh well, either way I am still stuck!

Hello Woodman,

From the sounds of it, you've done all you should have done in this encounter. Adze-Haakai is supposed to escape, I'm afraid – you don't get to destroy him in this version of the game. In fact, later games imply this in a more general way, I think. Demons, even Grah-Hoth, escape back to whence they came rather than ever really being killed.

6 hours ago, Woodman said:

If my party was on that side of the gate, how did the gate wheel get triggered?

I think I've figured out what might have happened. I've just tried it myself, and got my party stuck in just the same way as yours.

If you accidentally click on the wheel when the gate is opened, the gate will close. If you do this in combat mode, though, there is a delay. The gate only closes at the end of all your party members' turns. So, in combat mode, if you click on the wheel with one of your first few characters when your party is standing over the gate, and then immediately end combat, the routine that determines where your party stands after the end of combat has a chance of placing you behind the gate – which is then shut.

This is indeed a bug, and a nasty one! You have to be fairly unlucky to fall victim to it, but that won't make it any easier when it has happened to you.

There is a way to fix this problem, though. Type shift-d. A little dialogue should appear. Enter the following:

backtostart

This little debug command will send you back to Fort Avernum, from where you can continue your adventures!

5 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I thought I had to forge the Demonslayer sword first...

Yes, you do! Randomizer is mistaken on this one. You only get Demonslayer by having it reforged by Avernum's master smith!

5 minutes ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello Woodman,

From the sounds of it, you've done all you should have done in this encounter. Adze-Haakai is supposed to escape, I'm afraid – you don't get to destroy him in this version of the game. In fact, later games imply this in a more general way, I think. Demons, even Grah-Hoth, escape back to whence they came rather than ever really being killed.

I think I've figured out what might have happened. I've just tried it myself, and got my party stuck in just the same way as yours.

If you accidentally click on the wheel when the gate is opened, the gate will close. If you do this in combat mode, though, there is a delay. The gate only closes at the end of all your party members' turns. So, in combat mode, if you click on the wheel with one of your first few characters when your party is standing over the gate, and then immediately end combat, the routine that determines where your party stands after the end of combat has a chance of placing you behind the gate – which is then shut.

This is indeed a bug, and a nasty one! You have to be fairly unlucky to fall victim to it, but that won't make it any easier when it has happened to you.

There is a way to fix this problem, though. Type shift-d. A little dialogue should appear. Enter the following:

backtostart

This little debug command will send you back to Fort Avernum, from where you can continue your adventures!

Yes, you do! Randomizer is mistaken on this one. You only get Demonslayer by having it reforged by Avernum's master smith!

Hah! That is awesome you were able to reproduce that - must be what happened to me!

I was able to use the "return home" cheat and all is well again.

Thanks!