Do unused leveling points disappear permanently?

WolfSpider

Do unused leveling points disappear permanently?  I got to lvl 5 for my sorceress and I raised her INT, then did the middle tier for the point and then got my lock picking to 4 which is max and I have one point left from that leveling up transaction.  I do not see the need to waste a point now when potentially next level I will have enough to buy another untrained skill for 2 points and then potentially use the point from last time I did not use on that skill I just opened up to me.

However after leveling what I wanted and clicking the green check mark, when I go back just to see if my unused point is still there, it is either gone or can only truly be seen when you have just leveled and at the point and skill tree screen?

Secondly I already unlocked one of the skill sets which took two points from before.  I want to level that one particularly higher, but it wont allow me, saying I have to level the ones before it to level that one.  But again I have already unlocked it, why do I need to level the skills I don't particularly need or want at the moment just to level something I have at least the basic knowledge in and want to improve?  Thank you.

Alrighty.  Thank you for the quick reply.  Also it says level four is the max for lock picking... I read somewhere the levels do not combine between the sorcerer and theif or ninja type.  So you can not max both out and have 8 locking picking skill.

However are there spells or magical items that will aid you better?  I have a feeling with just a max of 4 I am still going to be using lock picks faster than quarters in an arcade machine...  O_o

There were in Avadon and Avadon 2 and item that gives a +1 to Lock picking. 

You can burn through lock picks if you use them too often at the start and especially for opening quest reward doors that have really high lock pick needs. Waiting until you have level 4 and going back to open doors to minor loot helps slow it down. So save before opening a lock to see if you really need it now.