There are items all over the place I seem to be able to pick up with no problem, those marked NY (Not Yours?) that I can take and those marked NY, but that I can not which are generally in the view of someone standing near by.  I am not sure I understand the process.  I've taken stuff marked NY from a locked room, even worn it such as a shield and spoken to the character it belonged to and nothing happened.  So what is the purpose of that?  Do I get punished by my superiors later, even though no one seems to know I even grabbed the stuff?  I usually play a good character my first time through so I do not steal.  But quick saving to test it out, is not giving me any negative results.  Am I missing something?  Does it even matter game wise?

You can steal anything marked Not Yours which isn't in the direct line of sight of a friendly NPC. There are in fact no ramifications or punishments for doing this. In older Spiderweb games it was actually possible to steal objects in the sight of friendly NPCs, and if you did it enough times they'd attack you, which obviously causes complications.

Avadon series games added the restriction of NY (Not Yours) items not being taken if someone is watching you to remove the need to check how many items you steal in sight. As you've seen, you can wait until you have a chance as NPCs move around. In the other games it caused the zone to go hostile and the amount stolen varied from the first item to take what you want because we don't care.

There are a few useful items that you might want to take if you have the patience. Also in the early game, money is tight and selling stuff helps out to buy training and items for combat. Later in the game you have plenty of money.

A shame there are no actual consequences and thus being a thief or stealing really has no meaning...  As in rewards or punishments.  I mean the game could just not have the NY on there to begin with and the player would just assume it is ok to take, because if what you told me is true, it is. 🤔 Games like Fable and Morrowind really gave that sense of, well it's there for the taking, but do you dare, because if you do everyone, if caught, will be after you.  Oh well...  I guess I will just roam back through the earlier parts of the game and start nicking things off of shelves...  I mean if the game and it's NPCs don't care in the slightest...  😁

Yeah, the more recent games have phased out the various things you can do to make towns hostile to you, presumably because it created too many plot and gameplay complications. I kinda wonder how the Geneforge remakes are going to handle it, since attacking friendly NPCs unprompted was sometimes a legit choice in those.

That sucks.  I mean I am sure he has his reasons.  Either easier for the general public to play and or him to make.  But I like choices to make, even if it means certain death for you.  ^_^ 

8 hours ago, Lilith said:

Yeah, the more recent games have phased out the various things you can do to make towns hostile to you, presumably because it created too many plot and gameplay complications. I kinda wonder how the Geneforge remakes are going to handle it, since attacking friendly NPCs unprompted was sometimes a legit choice in those.

Mmm, it did kind of make me miss the 'special deaths' though. Like attacking people on Oglai(I think I butchered the name) in A2, and then the defenses of that Vahnatai city kicks in and effectively melts you. But yah, mmm, wiping out Fort Remote, and then watching as a survivor crawls into the throne room and declaring a demon horde wiped out the fort and killed everyone, kind of made me sad.