Jeff has no plans for a sequel, however he did mention once that he had an idea for a prequel which set off lots of speculation how far back in Avernum's history he would go.

However the next scheduled games are the new series, Queen's Wish, and the Geneforge remakes.

its fanfic, only things official are what's in games (although even those contradict a bit) and what jv has written/said.

avernum prequel set on time of 1st expedition was in plans but those plans might been buried.

Actually, the majority of the linked article comes directly from the Avernum 3 ending.

The bit about the City of Dawn and Redmark College is a collective fan invention.

I remember the sequel announcement (or maybe he just mentioned that he was thinking about it on here and it wasn't really an announcement) and was wondering if anything was being done with that anytime soon. 

I also think I remember the first expedition being speculation and all he said was sequel, but i could be remembering wrong and i don't feel like looking back for it right now.

yea sequel to A6 was in speculation too but don't think anything of that came from SW's direction.

Jeff has definitely talked explicitly about his idea to do a prequel about the First Expedition.  I don't remember when he first mentioned that, but I think at least 10 years ago?  The last time he mentioned it (that I know of anyway) it sounded like he hadn't totally discounted the idea, but it was an "if it even happens, it'd be years and years down the line" sort of thing.

Jeff has got 3 years of Geneforge remakes planned and unless Queen's Wish has his worst sales ever, he would probably do 2 more. After all the work he did for a new game engine, I can't see him not continuing it.

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2019 at 12:45 AM, Randomizer said:

Jeff has got 3 years of Geneforge remakes planned and unless Queen's Wish has his worst sales ever, he would probably do 2 more. After all the work he did for a new game engine, I can't see him not continuing it.

Or maybe he's been secretly working on it to surprise his fans? :)

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Queen's Wish is actually the origin story of the Empire.

—Alorael, who now understands that the Empire isn't only nameless because there's no reason to name the only game in town. It's also because it's named after a PC, and of course there's no way to accommodate all the names. Thus, its eponym is lost in the mists of time and myth.