A: EFtP Return Life spell question...

Can anyone tell me if there are any perks to buying more than one level of the Return Life spell?  I bought the first level from the healers at the Monastery, and I can't really justify spending another $1,920 unless it provides a benefit similar to the Minor Heal spell at level 3 (Regenerating).  I've already checked this thread: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/17178-analysis-min-maxing-aeftp/

My apologies if my question is answered somewhere else, and thanks in advance for any replies. 😀

It's a holdover from early versions of the game where depending upon how you died you would need the extra levels to raise the character. This was before you went unconscious until you reached a town or inn in the remakes and needed the spell or a healer that would raise you from the dead.

Okay, thank you!   I'll go ahead and buy the second level.  You saved me from having to run back to town during some of the harder, drawn-out fights.  I hate having to leave an area before I've completed it due to enemies re-spawning.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I just finished the Spiral Pit and wanted to ask if turning the two wheels releases those ghasts, greater shades, and stalking ghasts, etc.  ???  (I've never seen any areas with gates.)  I'm playing on normal this time around, but I've had some trouble with the ones that attack on the way out when playing on hard mode.

There are two sources of monsters, the ones that spawn on your way in that appear when you enter an area or turn a wheel to open a secret passage and the ones that spawn on your way out. Jeff loves to add a few monsters for the return trip when you are weakened from fighting the boss monster and might not have healed up thinking you already cleared the path.

What level would you recommend for killing Sss-Thsss?  I tend to switch back and forth between my Avernum games and have never attempted this quest. 

I'm also having trouble deciding who should get Pyrog's papers.  Thantria's reward is probably the best, but I feel like the people of Avernum should have them. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for replying.  My party just reached level 20.  For some reason, I always thought that quest was meant to be done very late in the game. 

I found Athron's lair a long time ago, but I didn't go in because I think I wandered in too early in a previous game. If I recall correctly, there were drakes or other creatures in there that attacked, and I wasn't sure if there would be a quest later that required me to go there.  Is Athron one of the dragons that I'll need to kill? 

Is there any benefit to training mages and priests above what they need to cast the highest level spells? 

My mage has 17 in mage spells and my priest has 17 in priest spells.  I've just been increasing their intelligence and adding points in Spellcraft.  Occasionally, I'll put a point in Resistance, Hardiness, or weapon skills. 

I'd also like to know if I should continue to raise my warriors' weapon skills above 20.  If it makes no difference, I'd prefer to spend the points elsewhere.  Thanks in advance.

Adding above 17 in mage and priest spells make them slightly more effective, but you can probably use the points elsewhere. Resistance and Hardiness are better for reducing damage.

Weapon skills have no real limit that I know, but I don't go above 20 since I need the points for other skills. It slightly increases damage and you are probably at maximum to hit by that point.

You're welcome.

Specifically, each point in the basic weapon and spell skills all increase your effective "ability level" by 1 point each when you attack.  You also get points directly from Str/Dex/Int (depending on attack type), from your experience level, and (in the case of weapon attacks) from your weapon's item level.  Ability level directly determines damage/healing dealt (it determines the number of dice rolled, basically, which is where the vast majority of damage comes from) and sometimes increases status durations very slightly.  Early on this makes a big difference.  When you are at a high level with a high attack stat, the difference is much smaller.

Spellcraft and similar skills instead increase damage, duration, etc. by a percent.  This is also subject to diminishing returns, but not to the same degree.  Depending on the percentage amount, this is may be a slightly better bonus (especially late game).