Geneforge 4 Need a new play-style!

Vinlie

Play as a pacifist where you don't make any attacks on your own, but instead avoid fighting and only have creations that join your party or soldiers in the zone do the fighting for you if you do fight like the fyora at Southforge. Not as much experience and you really need to know what'a going to happen to avoid dying. :)

17 hours ago, Randomizer said:

Play as a pacifist where you don't make any attacks on your own, but instead avoid fighting and only have creations that join your party or soldiers in the zone do the fighting for you if you do fight like the fyora at Southforge. Not as much experience and you really need to know what'a going to happen to avoid dying. :)

This should be entirely feasible. I'm not certain about the first two games, but at least in G3 it was possible to complete the game without inflicting a single point of damage via player-controlled characters (and no mental magic either), and based on my experiences with G4, I'd be pretty confident it's possible there, too. Taking brute force out of the equation forces you to look at each zone as a puzzle to be solved. What combination of leadership, mechanics, sneaking, friendly NPCs, and other environmental elements will let me accomplish me goal? This approach also changes how you look at equipment - combat effectiveness is no longer how you determine "best" armor and weapons to equip. You cannot clear every zone or quest as a pacifist - some absolutely require combat - but you should be able to complete the game.

4 hours ago, Triumph said:

This should be entirely feasible. I'm not certain about the first two games, but at least in G3 it was possible to complete the game without inflicting a single point of damage via player-controlled characters (and no mental magic either), and based on my experiences with G4, I'd be pretty confident it's possible there, too. Taking brute force out of the equation forces you to look at each zone as a puzzle to be solved. What combination of leadership, mechanics, sneaking, friendly NPCs, and other environmental elements will let me accomplish me goal? This approach also changes how you look at equipment - combat effectiveness is no longer how you determine "best" armor and weapons to equip. You cannot clear every zone or quest as a pacifist - some absolutely require combat - but you should be able to complete the game.

Interesting. How can you take down the Monarch without a hit?

Edited by alhoon

It helps to use blessing and healing magic on the friendly NPCs as well.

I haven't tried it in G4, but in G3, every time I thought "Surely the friendly NPCs aren't strong enough to take down *this* enemy," they always proved me wrong (though sometimes not without buffing / healing from me). Akhari Blaze? Yep, sabotage his machines and send the Shapers after him and even the final boss of G3 goes down without a hit from me. (I couldn't finish the game as a rebel solely because the drakon in the cells in Dhonal's Keep who clearly was meant to help me bugged out and literally just disappeared.)