Get shoved back in cell

Find and read scroll

Leave cell

Talk to Troglodyte King

fight or accept King's offer and return to cell

Read second scroll

Leave Castle or use secret passage to go below

I'm going to try one more time to get an answer to this situation:

I have the scroll from Sharimik to take to the troglo king.

I go there, no one arrests me or throws me in jail.

I kill every single being on the ground floor.

I work my way around the next floor, again killing everyone in sight.

I find the king.

He wants to know if I read the book he left in my cell.

Since I was never put in a cell, there is no book.

Therefore, the story cannot continue, unless I just decide to kill the king up front.

There is clearly something wrong!  The story does not unfold the way it has in my previous 2 playthroughs.

Will anyone help me?

The scroll is definitely in special items.  When I first approached the castle, the text just said that the guards standing there ran away in fear.  Not being able to do this part of the story correctly impacts my gaining the reward from Knight in Sharimik, so I am pretty annoyed at the mix-up.  I don't think I have an earlier save that won't make me crazy having to go back so far.

Hello txmimi,

This is a little strange, and I’m not quite sure why you’re seeing this behaviour. It sounds like a flag has broken somewhere. The game is coded to try and make it so that you simply can’t walk through into the castle unless very specific requirements are met. I think I can fix this for you but, just to try and figure out what has happened, could you answer me a few questions?

1. When you walked into the little foyer area with windows on either side right at the entrance of the castle, did any text or dialogue come up at all? If so, what was it?

2. What specifically are the first dialogue options you are presented with when you meet the King?

To fix this, enter the castle from the outdoors. Hold down ‘shift’ and ‘d’, and a prompt to enter some text should appear. Type this:

sdf 28 8 0

Now, exit the castle to the outdoors and enter again, but don't move the party any further. Sorry about that – it slightly reduces the number of changes you need to make!

Use shift-d again and enter these codes, one at a time:

sdf 28 12 0
sdf 28 17 1
sdf 28 16 1
sdf 28 13 0

Now, walk into the foyer. A message should come up, and you should be taken to see the king. You’ll skip the part with the history scroll, I’m afraid, but the encounter should play as normal after that. Don’t save until you’re sure everything is working as it should! It might be best to use a separate save slot if you have one available.

Let me know if you have any problems. This should work, but there might be complications if, say, the game isn’t recognising your diplomatic papers. I’ll need to come up with another workaround if that’s the case, or if the cause of your problem is something unusual.

23 hours ago, txmimi said:

The scroll is definitely in special items.  When I first approached the castle, the text just said that the guards standing there ran away in fear.  Not being able to do this part of the story correctly impacts my gaining the reward from Knight in Sharimik, so I am pretty annoyed at the mix-up.  I don't think I have an earlier save that won't make me crazy having to go back so far.

If the guards ran away in fear, that suggests that your party was too powerful. I don't know if that applies here, but I've certainly seen it happen with bands of unicorns when I went back to do some cleanup late in the game.

23 hours ago, Raptor said:

If the guards ran away in fear, that suggests that your party was too powerful. I don't know if that applies here, but I've certainly seen it happen with bands of unicorns when I went back to do some cleanup late in the game.

Reading txmimi's description I was wondering if the guards running away was an outdoor encounter out in the valley leading up to the castle.  Not that that should change the scripted encounter once the party actually enters the castle though.

If getting the reward is the only problem/issue, you can spend some coin & get the same result...

Spoiler

Up in Caloc (?, been a while.  Town south of Dorngrass over on the ocean, near the vampire/ogre dispute) you can buy a couple levels of Dispel Barrier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I’m facing the same issue as the OP.

• I have the scroll.
  • I approach the castle.
  • Everyone runs away.
  • No one throws me in jail.

So, I followed the code shared by Ess-Eshas a few posts up, and was able to get the instructions from the King to go kill Elhioc. I followed the contract and left quietly the same way I entered, and then out the secret passage. I didn't stop to talk to anyone, or go up any stairs other then the ladder I used to go down to Elhioc. I didn’t receive any reward, nor a message to return to Mayor Knight. When I do go see Knight, the dialogue is the same as when he sent me to the Castle, and he doesn’t give me a reward either.

I finally stopped and read the hint book, so I admit that I now see that I’ve done things way out of order, and I don’t know if that makes a difference. I sure don’t want to start all over, but, hey, it’s the quarantine and I have the time. HAHA

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Hello mrsmac,

Hmm, like the original issue of this post, this is a strange problem. This is perhaps even stranger, since receiving the reward after the encounter with Elhioc is very simply coded – there isn’t much in the code that could go wrong!

Still, that's not much comfort when you're experiencing the problem yourself. I’ll do what I can to help!

First of all, it’s worth just being clear on one point:

Spoiler

Given that you’ve checked the hint book, I’m sure you will have done this. But, just to check, did you kill Elhioc? He can be found in the top-left of the dungeon Under Castle Troglo. It’s a fairly flashy boss, so you’ll probably remember it!

If you did do this, then something’s gone amiss in the code somewhere. I can fix it for you but, as with all recommendations using sdf codes, be sure to save beforehand! Ideally, save your game in a new slot after making these changes – this is just to make sure you can recover your game if something goes awry!

There’s a fairly simple fix, but it relies on you already being in the dungeon Under Castle Troglo. If you still have a save where you’re in that dungeon, then you’re in luck! Before you go back up the ladder to the main castle, press ‘shift’ and ‘d’ and enter the following:

sdf 28 8 6

When you go back up the stairs, you should immediately be greeted with several textboxes. You’ll also receive a message from the King, to be delivered to Sharimik. If this doesn’t happen, let me know, and I’ll come up with another solution.

If you’ve already left Castle Troglo, then you’ll need to do a little more busywork, I’m afraid. Unfortunately, you can’t get back in, since you will have lost your scroll of passage. So, first, you’ll need to get it back.

Go to Sharimik. Then, enter these three codes in turn:

sdf 11 0 1
sdf 10 9 1
sdf 10 0 1

Now speak to the mayor. You see a dialogue option saying you have ‘permission from both Corie and Levin.’ If you select this, you’ll get the scroll of passage once more.

Now, return to Castle Troglo. Perform the steps I listed in my previous post, exactly as you did before.

This will reset the Castle encounter! As if this were your first time in the Castle, go and talk to the King, receive the contract, and go back down into Under Castle Troglo. But don’t explore the dungeon this time. Just enter the code as above:

sdf 28 8 6

Now, go back up the ladder. You should immediately see several textboxes, and receive a letter intended for the mayor of Sharimik. Phew, you’ve done it!

Now, this is a slightly complicated workaround, so let me know if you have any problems. To reiterate what I said above, be sure to do this on a new save file, just to be on the safe side!

2 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

There’s a fairly simple fix, but it relies on you already being in the dungeon Under Castle Troglo. If you still have a save where you’re in that dungeon, then you’re in luck! Before you go back up the ladder to the main castle, press ‘shift’ and ‘d’ and enter the following:

sdf 28 8 6

When you go back up the stairs, you should immediately be greeted with several textboxes. You’ll also receive a message from the King, to be delivered to Sharimik. If this doesn’t happen, let me know, and I’ll come up with another solution.

Thanks, Ess-Eschas. It was a tough battle and I was sure he was dead, but to be on the safe side I doubled checked, and yup, Elhioc is dead.  Whew.

I opened my last save (which was down in the dungeon), did a fresh save, entered the code, went up the ladder, and nothing.

Other then losing experience points/being able to complete a quest/500 in coin/and the scroll "dispel barriers" from Knight, am I going to miss out on anything needed to finish the game? I already have dispel barriers at level 1, so I'm guessing the scroll from Knight might have boosted me to level 2? If so, at this point, I'd use the editor to bump that up if need be.

It might be worth it to go back to town and use your other codes. I'll let you know how that goes.

Edited by mrsmac
to add a quest

There’s no need to throw in the towel just yet! I have one final suggestion for you, one which I believe should finally deal with your problem.

Your last post taught me something useful: the problem you’re experiencing seems to occur when the game loads Castle Troglo on entry. My previous solution will have failed because it was trying to manipulate that entry code – hence why it didn’t help you! So, to solve the problem, we’ll need to look elsewhere.

This one’s really easy, and it avoids Castle Troglo entirely!

Go to Sharimik, and stand inside Mayor Knight’s office. Then, bring up the usual shift-d dialogue, and type in the following:

sdf 28 8 7

Talk to Mayor Knight. You should see a dialogue option that reads:

‘The Troglodyte King gave me a message for you.’

Select this option, and read what the mayor says. Because of the way quests are coded in Avernum 3, you’ll need to do a quick check. If he talks about a ‘reward’, then the quest has been completed successfully. However, if he talks about ‘permission’ instead, then the quest hasn’t quite been advanced enough. Close the dialogue, talk to him again, and select the same option. Keep doing this until you you see text about a reward.

Of course, if something else happens, then something’s gone wrong somewhere else. Either there’s something iffy going on with your game, or we’ve had a failure of communication somehow!

On the subject of the reward:

Spoiler

The main reward offered by Mayor Knight is the Dispel Barrier book. This only teaches you the spell – it doesn’t improve it if you already know it – so it won’t be of much use to you. This is something of a hangover from Exile, when simply learning the spell was a big deal. However, you do also get a bonus to your reputation by completing this quest, which will make the game a little easier. That’s one reason why I wanted to try and get this fixed for you!

By the way, since you mentioned some of your saved games, do you happen to be using a Mac? If you are, I’d be interested in having a look at some of those saves. Although I can alleviate the symptoms, I still haven’t gotten to the root of the problem – and the best way to do that is to look at some saves myself and see what’s happening!

On 3/30/2020 at 5:29 AM, Ess-Eschas said:

On the subject of the reward:

Hide contents

The main reward offered by Mayor Knight is the Dispel Barrier book. This only teaches you the spell – it doesn’t improve it if you already know it – so it won’t be of much use to you. This is something of a hangover from Exile, when simply learning the spell was a big deal. However, you do also get a bonus to your reputation by completing this quest, which will make the game a little easier. That’s one reason why I wanted to try and get this fixed for you!

By the way, since you mentioned some of your saved games, do you happen to be using a Mac? If you are, I’d be interested in having a look at some of those saves. Although I can alleviate the symptoms, I still haven’t gotten to the root of the problem – and the best way to do that is to look at some saves myself and see what’s happening!

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I took time away from the internet to try and get my head in a better spot. I do appreciate all the info, especially on the reward--my reputation needs all the help it can get. HAHA

I've actually solved the problem. 🙄 I had recently upgraded my very old iMac with an update to my older OS, and suddenly I was having freezes in loads of basic programs (like Safari, Preview, Mail, etc), and then I had a big freeze in Avernum3:RW. After that I couldn't get it to load any of my saved games, so I dumped the app and reinstalled. That didn't work, so I dumped the saved games and began fresh. Of course this was after I had to reapply the OS upgrade. 🙄

All is now working as it should. I'm thinking the saved games files might have been corrupted before this. When I get to this quest if it doesn't work, I'll holler, but I'm hoping it will. I'm trying to play things in a more correct order -- I'm actually reading the hint book for guidance. ;)

Thanks again, Ess-Eschas.

Sorry to hear that you’ve been having computer problems. Upgrading old machines can sometimes lead to some real issues, as I know from my own experience! At least it sounds like everything is now working as it should – and your computer should now be happier overall, and have a longer shelf life – so hopefully there’s a silver lining in there somewhere!

It could also very well be the cause of your problem here, too. There are some strange types of behaviour associated with corrupted save files that haven’t really been fully explored, so it’s possible something like that was messing up your flags, or otherwise stopping things appearing when they should. Now that your computer’s happy again, hopefully you shouldn’t have any further problems.

Best of luck with your new trip into Valorim! Be sure to stop and smell the flowers – there’s lots of interesting stuff and the surface, and not quite everything is covered in the hint book :)

5 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Sorry to hear that you’ve been having computer problems.

[snip]

Best of luck with your new trip into Valorim! Be sure to stop and smell the flowers – there’s lots of interesting stuff and the surface, and not quite everything is covered in the hint book :)

I'd love to get another year of this iMac, but security for banking and such is becoming a problem. I may blow some money on a new computer for my birthday this year, I'll see how life is going by then.

Yes, smelling the flowers and not trying to pet the Unicorns. HAHA I'm only using the hint book to help keep me on track for the general order to accomplish things, rather then wandering higgledy-piggledy all over the place. I'm about to actually go use the transporter and enter the Tower of Magi, something I hadn't done in my previous games. Maybe that partially explains some things. ;)

Edited by mrsmac

You might want to keep your old computer for when you want to play older games that don't run with the new operating system without using a Windows version that runs 32 bit games or some other work around with virtual machines.

I have the same problem with web sites not running on older operating system browsers. Then I upgraded my newest computer and it randomly overheats requiring hours of leaving it off to make the fan shut off.

• 2 weeks later...