Sign in to follow this  
jemadux

What Exile/Avernum you begin with ?

What Exile/Avernum you begin with ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What Exile/Avernum triology you begin with ?

• Exile Triology
    • Avernum 1/2/3 (2000-2001)
    • Avernum 4/5/6
    • Avernum (2011-2018 remake)

Posted (edited)

just wondering ... for me was Avernum 2 (2001) version , i love that version ... but now I am playing with Avernum2 CS

yes was demo that time

Edited by jemadux

Exile 3 because it was the only Demo that installed properly on my computer. I bought the other Exile games a few months later after playing the Demo several times.

Exile 1 or 2 on a shareware CD, stepped away for a while, BoA, stepped away for a while, the re-makes

Exile 1, but the first game I registered and finished was Exile III. 

—Alorael, who still remembers the excitement over the first time he saw character sprites that could face in two different directions. And his pride in anticipating that Exile III would include some kind of weapon-swing animation.

Posted (edited)

Avernum: Escape From the Pit.

I am definitely a new player here compared to almost all others. I find it kind of amazing because I was hip deep in RPG's back when the first Exile came out, and yet somehow I entirely missed these. It wasn't until Escape From the Pit was on a STEAM sale in 2012 that I even found it. Friends that never played anything from Spiderweb Software, but still thought they knew something about it, told me that I needed to play at least one of these games to have any 'Indy RPG cred'. 

Either way, I loved it. Finished all three Avadon's and Crystal Souls too. I have a backlog to clear out but Ruined World is in there soon enough, and at this point, I'll play anything that Jeff Vogel makes. 

Edited by Asciiman
missed a word

I never had much access to a computer as a kid, I would only get to use my grandma's computer every other weekend. I had a shareware disc that had all of the exiles and Jazz Jack rabbit 2 (as well as many less memorable titles). I played a crapload of Blades of Exile's vale of dying things campaign, I would often get lost and restart my play-through if I was away from the game for more than two weeks, so vale of dying things was the only one had a chance to complete. I did dabble in the others after beating the vale but I never got far. Around 2005 I got my own computer and went to Jeff's site and was a bit annoyed that all of his games were still full price. I could buy the full version of Avernum 3, or I could buy warcraft 3 for the same price... I bought warcraft 3. At some point I gave Avernum 1 a shot and didn't like how isometric it was, I did however show it to a friend who ended up buying Geneforge 3.

It wasn't until Avernum: Escape from the Pit came out on steam that I delved back into Spiderweb games. I just kinda bought them all on a steam sale and have been doing like one or two of his games each year. after finishing A:EftP I went back and finished Blades of Exile for old times sake. Now I'm in a place where I can't decide which generation of Jeff's games I like most, they all have ups and downs, (I mean they definitely have improved, but I have more nitpicks with newer titles).

Exile III: Ruined World dominated my middle school non-social life. I played the heck out of the demo before I begged my parents to buy the games. I even spent a summer art class drawing the entire demo map area with all the towns and dungeons from memory.