Sign in to follow this  
jemadux

nethergate remake

Nethergate: Resurrection was the last remake before the current Avernum remakes and no more are currently being mentioned.

Which is a shame, because I find the game unplayable in current form and I'd really like to experience it.

"Unplayable", 

If you mean you can't win because you keep getting wiped out... It can be played through to the end easily enough. If you have the right sort of party...

If you mean that you don't like features of the game, that is a different matter I suppose.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:45 AM, dave s said:

Which is a shame, because I find the game unplayable in current form and I'd really like to experience it.

If you have some issue with the remake, have you tried the original? You can at least find the demo floating around on the web, and maybe if enough people enjoin him loudly enough, the arch-developer himself in his subterranean lair may pay heed, and verily, may release the hallowed original for us to emulate on or modern computational engines. My original CD was probably lost when I moved out of my parent's house, but I plan on revisiting classic Nethergate one way or another for the 20th anniversary (which means I am running out of time).

I'm thinking "unplayable" comes from playing modern SWS games and going back to that old Avernum engine that Nethergate runs on.

Posted (edited)

I think the engine is okay...

Unable to access locations:
You must be registered to access the second half of the game.
Also, some places are not accessible until you have done something somewhere else, whatever that may be.

Word of Recall can cut out some of the repetitious travelling over the same areas.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Posted (edited)

At the start you won't have a lot of money or equipment, fortunately you don't need all that much. Most equipment will be found while exploring, or taken from dead foes.
You can't create a PC with spells that are greater than level 3. Soon enough you can buy Health and Battle spells from Cormac.

Spoiler

Soon enough you will find the first four spells in the Beast and Craft circles.

I make sure that one Druid starts with Spirit Ceremony, just the thing for mass poisoning...

I give one level in the Healing Circle to the two front-rank (warrior) PCs. This one level gives them the Mild Healing spell, which they can use to heal themselves. Idea here is to avoid draining the spell energy of the two rear-rank (Druid) PCs. Cost is only 2 skill points...

If the game just freezes up, it may just a minimized dialog box sitting in the Taskbar. If there are two N:R buttons in the Taskbar, click on them one at a time...

If that does not work, game remains frozen, click on the game screen to check that it has not become unselected...

Movement is done through the Numeric Keypad, with the Num Lock always on.

Edited by Ishad Nha

To clarify, the game runs fine on my computer. I mean unplayable in the figurative sense. I just don't enjoy playing a game on the old engine and can't bring myself to invest any time in it.

I like the story and the game play, so the format is negotiable to me.

As for a third version of Nethergate, not likely to happen any time soon... Jeff will be busy with his new project, Queen's Wish. This may last a few years with a trilogy for all I know.

A quick port (translation) of N:R to a more recent engine would not take too long.
N:R itself is simply a port of the original Nethergate to the Blades of Avernum engine. N:R could be ported to the recent Avernum 3 remake engine.
It all depends on how much time Jeff has to spare... Possibly not a lot...

Edited by Ishad Nha