Spidweb

Kickstarter For Our New Game/Series - Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

I was pleased to see the nice newsletter today, and it looks like the newsletter gave a nice little bump to the kickstarter, too.  Looks like it needs to average about $2k/day until the end to hit the sound design goal.  

Posted (edited)

I really want in the beta but I can't afford to spend $266 of my currency to do it. I wish there was a $100-150 tier that just gets you into the beta without naming anything, that would get me to spend more, (wink wink).

I might up my backing at the last minute if we don't make the hundred thousand goal by then. But I don't need any absolution since I've never pirated any of Jeff's games. I suppose if I hung the document on my wall it would make a nice conversation starter. (As my friends already know I can drone on endlessly about Jeff's games).

That said I might actually miss the free sounds in Jeff's games, I dunno, it adds a certain charm I can't explain. I would more enjoy some more music. That or more human sprites. The last engine had some fairly dull human sprites that were reused one too many times, (the monsters looked pretty good though, even if many dragons were the wrong colour).

Edited by GiantFriendlyTalkingSpiderman

Posted (edited)

I wonder how much of a pain it's going to be for Jeff, working with 20-25 people who get to create something, and another 45-50 still who get to name something on top of that while he's still trying to finish making the game after all.  Might be a good interview question to ask him a year from now or such.

Edited by Rhinestone Jedi

Only 30 hours to go and there's still a "make your own quest" slot (if you have $1000) and several "add your character" slots. It's so close to that professional sound design goal; I wonder if there's any chance of actually getting there with so little time left? If those limited slots were all filled though it would bring it much closer!

Kickstarters often have a burst at the end, so it’s not impossible.

—Alorael, who wants to know what happens if there final tally is a couple hundred dollars short. A spiteful array of especially terrible sounds? A return of E1’s original “urk” “eek” perhaps?

Child labor as Cordelia and Miranda get their first voice work for the family business. :)

There's still 4 NPCs still available  and 1 chance to name something.

It will be back to the single tone buzzer for sounds

It ended at 98,992, so $1008 Ameribucks short of the 100k stretch goal.  If it would let me, I'd bump my pledge from 200 to 208 to make it a cool 99k, but it seems it's already closed.  Still, that's a massively successful kickstarter.  It was also an impressive final push given how nonchalant the last update seemed.  

And I wonder if that nearly 99k is close enough to 100k for Jeff to get at least some sound work done, if not full production.  I'm honestly ok with how Spiderweb games sound but maybe that's because I'm so used to them and have been playing them for upwards of two decades.

Congratulations SpidWeb! Can't wait to play the game.  

I wanted to add something.  I am a bit of a geek.  I can code and worked in finance and options (and music financial business).  I turn off the sound. I am attracted to this game because of its simplicity.  I hope that Jeff can get his hit blockbuster game if that is what he wishes.  But I love these games the way they are.  They are a great way to destress.  The storyline and simplicity encourage the use of imagination over mechanics.  I can pick it up on my Ipad while traveling or at work or waiting for something and I don't need a big fancy computer or involved mouse or controls. I suppose that is susceptible to being criticized as gender bias. 

I am looking forward to the new game and will add to the kickstarter or buy or prebuy the game when available.

3 hours ago, Wendy said:

I suppose that is susceptible to being criticized as gender bias.

... huh?

18 hours ago, Kelandon said:

... huh?

Judging by their username, I would assume that Wendy is a woman, and I assume that the gender bias would be that women (supposedly?) have a higher ratio of casual gamers who only play on smartphones and tablets, as opposed to men and their man-cave gaming rigs. Note that this is just a guess at what Wendy means and not an observation or an attempt to analyze gaming habits by gender.

I mean women might not be as attracted to the visual effects and sound as men.  I know this from watcing many movies with men.  A large and growing segment of gaming is 40 ish mothers taking a quick break and I can't imagine that many have a gaming computer and controls, although I have done so in the past.  40ish people and their spouses. Many were introduced through silly things like Candy Crunch.  I could go on but I think that is enough.  I am a marketer and of course there are segments to any market.  An attitude was unnecessary and ridiculous and I don't particularly appreciate it, although I am not going to dwell on it for any length of time.  

1 hour ago, Wendy said:

An attitude was unnecessary and ridiculous and I don't particularly appreciate it

I'm now even more perplexed.