Hardest/strangest party creation?

Xiarrel-Te

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Completed Exile III with a singleton. Was interesting but not that hard except at the very beginning. Thought about trying it for Exile I/II but I couldn't get them to work properly on new systems, and I think inventory management would be a pain.

Tried, but didn't get far with:

-singleton pacifist (it's almost impossible do actually deal any damage, you can't even summon - at least not in combat)

-"lucky idiot" - singleton with rubbish stats, but huge Luck (lots of running away in the beginning; loses its appeal later on as you improve your stats)

-no spellcasters - HD crash wiped out save. It was interesting, though. You can open magically-locked doors using Piercing Crystals, but I'm not sure if it works in all 3 games.

Ideas I've had but never tried:

-6 priests or 6 mages

-Exile III party with all disadvantages

Edited by Fireball Fodder

Singletons were actually pretty popular during the Exile days -- often viewed less as a challenge and more as a personal preference.  They streamlined some of the logistical tasks involved in playing, and as you noted, weren't actually any harder than parties.

Inventory for them on E1/2 was less an issue than you might expect.  There were fewer slots per PC, but also fewer different pieces of equipment to wear.

An Exile I singleton has the advantage of being able to start casting lightning and daze to deal with multiple targets although needing to continually return to town to rest. You can go up quick enough that it soon isn't a problem.

The main disadvantage of smaller inventory is more trips are required to gather and sell loot. However one character needs less money.

Exile I in particular had relatively little in the way of lootable items.  But even II and III weren't full of random sellable crap the way post-Geneforge SW games all are.

50 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

An Exile I singleton has the advantage of being able to start casting lightning and daze to deal with multiple targets

Neither one of those are spells in Exile I.  I'm not really sure what you're thinking of here.

It's not.  (I mean, I can't speak to how you played it -- I think replenishing SP would be a more likely cause of extra trips than inventory -- but those spells definitely do not exist :))

Look, people really trust your word around here, Randomizer; I wish you wouldn't speak authoritatively about stuff you're only guessing about.  If you're basing your statement on a vague memory from a decade ago -- or, equally, on a vague statement Jeff made -- I really wish you'd indicate that.  People take your factual statements as expert opinions, because of the detailed work you put into your atlases, and so on.  You are trusted.  Which makes it extra important that you say something different when you just mean to bring up a thought as a possibility that you aren't sure about.  When you don't, that's how we end up with urban legends about game mechanics :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently started a singleton assassin playthrough, where I try to maximize my assassination skill first. I fight unarmed because your accuracy scales really well with Dex when unarmed. But I couldn't get assassinate to proc once! (I was level 4 and had around 6 points in assassination, I was using minor haste on myself to attack more often). I should probably check if you can even proc assassinate with unarmed attacks...

Update: I checked the code and it seems only your first melee hit with a weapon can cause assassination, (meaning if you dual-wield the second hit of your attack won't have a chance to assassinate). So much for the unarmed assassin; maybe I'll do this again with a daggers-only run.

Edited by GiantFriendlyTalkingSpiderman
Update

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2019 at 1:28 PM, Fireball Fodder said:

Completed Exile III with a singleton. Was interesting but not that hard except at the very beginning. Thought about trying it for Exile I/II but I couldn't get them to work properly on new systems, and I think inventory management would be a pain.

Tried, but didn't get far with:

-singleton pacifist (it's almost impossible do actually deal any damage, you can't even summon - at least not in combat)

-"lucky idiot" - singleton with rubbish stats, but huge Luck (lots of running away in the beginning; loses its appeal later on as you improve your stats)

-no spellcasters - HD crash wiped out save. It was interesting, though. You can open magically-locked doors using Piercing Crystals, but I'm not sure if it works in all 3 games.

Ideas I've had but never tried:

-6 priests or 6 mages

-Exile III party with all disadvantages

It's funny you mention 6 priests or 6 mages.

My first time beating Exile 2: Crystal souls (The first game I played) I beat it with all 6 party members as maxed priest and mages. Wound is ridiculously OP and even kills magic immune stuff like Rakashi. No warriors required!

On 2/6/2021 at 11:12 PM, Figgy20000 said:

It's funny you mention 6 priests or 6 mages.

My first time beating Exile 2: Crystal souls (The first game I played) I beat it with all 6 party members as maxed priest and mages. Wound is ridiculously OP and even kills magic immune stuff like Rakashi. No warriors required!

True, that. On second thought, I imagine 6 Priests without any Mages wouldn't be all that hard provided you had haste potions. And it would become a breeze once you get Avatar.

Maybe one day I'll try that no-spellcaster run again.