Did things in the wrong order and rescued spider from the Aranea then found the GIFTS cave.  The GIFTS don't recognize that the spider was rescued and I think I have spoken with them all so the one I rescued seems to have not arrived back at the cave.  Help would be great.

I believe rescuing the spider from the Aranea is a quest from the Chief Spider, and normally completing a quest objective before receiving it doesn't prevent you from getting and completing the quest itself. I recommend finding the Chief Spider and checking his dialogue options.

Thanks.  Not been able to find the chief spider either.  And they do all look the same.  None of them so far has a purple nametag

The Chief Spider is called Spider just like the rest of them. You have to find the right one and ask what he does (there is probably some clue in his description, like being particularly thoughtful or leadershipful).

Thank  you for writing back.  I shut down the game and then reloaded.  When I did that I had the option of telling the quest giver that I had found its friend.