A3RW: Collecting Bounty Monster Spots (List)

NOTE: contains very, very small spoilers (no spoiler tag given)

Credits: Randomizer, TriRodent, Sir Fred, Rhinestone Jedi, and me. Others credited by specific contributions.

Go here for TriRodent's top-line-worthy advice on bounties (also found by scrolling down 7 posts). 🙂

* Note: some respawn points will need multiple respawn attempts before the correct monster appears. T_T

* Does anyone know if killing summoned creatures counts? 

So I had to go all over hunting for these things and took a few notes. Unfortunately, I only decided to do these in late game, which makes it VERY hard.

I've listed locations which both spawn and don't respawn, and some which I just plain can't tell or don't know. 

So if anyone has even a single note or location or correction for this, I imagine any players hunting for these oft-hard-to-find critters would appreciate it. 

Asp

Dungeon/Town: Dryad's Grove (Can't enter after quest)

Town: Dellston, in the town outside the walls on the farms (don't respawn)

Outdoors: W of Kriszan / SE of Delan with Serpents, 2 encounters  (don't respawn)

Dungeon: Under Tinraya Keep, spawned by Experimental Beast (unsure if spawned beasts count for bounties)

Basilisk
Upper Avernum: One north of Bandit Hideout / NE of Ghikra with worms (don't respawn)
Outdoors: Remote Islands off Libras (don't respawn)
Dungeon: Troglo Temple (Guessing no respawns)

Town: can spawn randomly and multiple times in Hawke's Manse in Lorelei once owned

Burrowing Crawler

Beneath Castle Troglo - on Troglo side of barrier (unsure of respawn) [credited to cfossedal on Steam]

Pabuloso Walls quest - one-time, probably won't respawn

Calloc: wandering outdoors (might respawn)

Corrupted Lizard
Outdoors: NW Valorim
Remote Cave

Rakshasa Lair (past defiled crypt)

Dire Wolf

Dungeon: Upper Avernum SE Goblin/Bandit Hideout Wolf Pit - - respawns

Dungeon: Wolfrider Warren in SC Kriszan (respawn)

Dungeon: Agate Tower (one on east side outside of tower, no respawn)

Drake

Dungeon: Fiery Pit (near Golddale), where Ernest sends you after stealing - (unknown if respawns)

Outdoors: NE of Slime Pit - wandering around near small mountain range where you can help out a Drake Lord (don't respawn after being killed)

Can be found guarding dragon tunnels in NW Valorim before you're able to accuse the dragons of being the cause

Outdoors: Between Marish and Calloc (random respawn)

Eyebeast

Outdoors (?): S of Calloc at "Alakas Colony" point (respawns)

Fire Lizard

Outdoors: Island S of Kneece (possible respawn)
Outdoor: Mountains W of Ernest's hut (Two battles, no respawn)

Giant Cave Slug

Dungeon: Filth Factory level 1 - S (can't reenter after beating dungeon)

Grindstone Caverns: 3 total (unsure about respawn)

Goblin

Goblin Caves in Upper Avernum (respawn)

Dungeon: Agate Tower (underneath) in SW Kriszan (don't respawn?)

Hhortah (or however that's spelled, at least I alphabetized this)

Outdoors: NE of Gale on island using Orb of Thralni (one time)

Pit of the Wyrm (respawn unknown)

Ice Pudding

Town: Upper Avernum, Erika's Tower, NE (don't respawn?)

Outdoors: Upper Avernum W (quest location, doesn't respawn)

Outdoors: NW Valorim using orb of thralni, near dragons (don't respawn)

Outdoors: Near Squiggus

Null Bug
Upper Avernum outdoors: Chitrach nest South of New Formello (one battle) 

Upper Avernum - New Formello - Murder Cave (unsure if respawns)

Dungeon: Filth Factory lowest level (No respawn)
Town: Poulsbo Worm Infestation (Not sure if respawns or not, going to guess not where there's a quest to wipe them out) 

Squiggus: protecting a spell book (no respawn)

Outdoor: SE Valorim in long valley with Perfect Flower (no respawn)

Rakshasa Lair: past Defiled Crypt in NW Valorim, near the end of the dungeon (no respawn)

Rabid Hellhounds
Outdoors: with Troglodytes east and north of Sharamik (don't respawn and may not be able to fight after Sharamik Scroll quest)Outdoors: Near Squiggus with Troglos, can spawn after Sharimik quest

Serpent

Outdoors: W of Kriszan / SE of Delan  (don't respawn)

Outdoors: Random Encounter near Stergnos north of Colchis

Outdoors: Between Farport and Ernest's Hut (Random encounter... took me days... got lots of Wolf random encounters in the same spot)

Upper Avernum: N of (random encounter, respawn likely)

Undead : including Revenant / Zombie / Ruby Skeleton
Dungeon: Spiral Crypt on Isle of Bigail (Revenant, Zombie confirmed) - Revenant respawns only in secret passage leading to middle

Dungeon: Lair of Vahkohs (most types, won't respawn after clearing dungeon)

Dungeon: Chasm of Screams in far west of Valorim/north of Marish (may not respawn after clearing out dungeon)

Dungeon: Tower of Zkal on Island S of Gale (only reached by getting location from wizard in Kriszan/Delan)

Outdoors: Near Fading Tower before clearing dungeon - NW of Squiggus / E of Troglo area

Outdoors: Between Storm Port & Squiggus (respawn randomly, most types of undead - NO Revenant - may not respawn after clearing Vahkohs)

Outdoors: Between Marish and Calloc (respawn randomly - NO Revenant)

Outdoors: Island S of Gale (reached via Gale)

Outdoors (?): S of Calloc at "Alakas Colony" point (Skeleton respawns)

Unicorn

Dungeon: Unicorn grotto near Fort Emergence (respawn in a few weeks)

Outdoors: Mountain area NE of Fort Emergence, near grotto (might respawn)

Outdoors: Mountain Pass S of Sharimik (might respawn)

Ursag

Outdoors: wandering around in Valley of the Ursagi in SW Kriszan province (SW Valorim)

Outdoors: NW Valorim near Calloc (one-time/fixed quest location, won't respawn)

Dungeon: Golddale Mine

Ur-Basilisk

Dungeon: Tower of Zkal (SW corner with hidden switch)

Dungeon/Town: Manara in Footracer Province

Wolf

Dungeon: Upper Avernum SE Goblin/Bandit Hideout (Wolf Pit) - respawns

Outdoors: sometimes found wandering with bandits in S/SW Kriszan province

Dungeon: Agate Tower in SW Kriszan (don't respawn?)

Edited by APV
lots of info coming in :D

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the thread to update every so often with my own or others' contributions. :-) Seriously, I spent 2 hours wandering Valorim looking for respawns. If Jeff really did put a respawn point for every job board monster, I just am very bad at finding stuff...

Null Bug

Outdoor: Chitrach nest South of New Formello (One battle) 

Indoor: Filth Factory lowest level (No respawn) / Poulsbo Worm Infestation (Not sure if respawns or not, going to guess not where there's a quest to wipe them out)

Basilisk

Outdoor: Upper Avernum Northeast of Ghikra with some worms (One Battle)

Indoor: Troglo Temple / Filth Factory (Guessing no respawns)

Fire Lizard

Outdoor: Mountains near Ernest's hut (Two battles, no respawn)

Serpent

Outdoor: Between Farport and Ernest's Hut (Random encounter... took me days... got lots of Wolf random encounters in the same spot)

Asp

Outdoor: W of Kriszan / SE of Delan  (don't respawn) / Random Encounter near Stergnos north of Colchis.

Indoor: Dryad's Grove (Can't enter after quest) / Poulsbo (In the town outside the walls on the farms. Not sure if respawn or not, likely spot though)

Revenant

Indoor: Gorvifal's crypt

Zombie

Indoor: Gorvifal's Crypt

There are a lot of potential bounty monsters apparently.

1 hour ago, Sir Fred said:

There are a lot of potential bounty monsters apparently.

The worst part of this is that it's still really hard for me to finish them despite this. Although I suppose I only have myself to blame. I also had to go between the four major cities about 10-15 times before I even found three monster requests of any type, enough for the steam achievement. (Maybe just bad luck with the RNG, though.) Time to go a-hunting for serpents again... Errr... after work, of course... :whistle:

14 hours ago, APV said:

Credits: Randomizer, TriRodent, Sir Fred and me. :-)

Gee, if I knew I was getting top line credit I would have put more effort into my earlier answer...

From what I observed, most any dungeon will respawn somewhat over time (outdoor encounters don't from what I could tell.  Once that area was cleared out of wandering troglos, that is it for them).  It won't be many & it will be the main type of monster for that dungeon (goblin in Goblin Cave, bandit in Bandit Lair, etc).  Some will be random of a type (such as slimes in the Slime Pit when you go back to take down the barriers & clean out the chests).  However don't count on a respawn to fill a particular job board dispatch.  It very well may work right away... or it very well may not. I only (rarely) took that kind of job if I was going into an area where I 'knew' there would be that particular kind of monster to harvest (job board dispatch, not quest board quests.  Those are scripted to be able to be finished one way or another).

Summoned monsters, even if the right 'type' didn't always give up whatever parts were needed upon death.  Unfortunately, some did (unfortunate in the sense that there's no hard & fast rule to summoned creatures).  So you may get the job filled if you stumble across someone who then summoned the correct monster... but don't count on it.

When killing a monster that you need to fill a job board dispatch, try not to blast it with an AoE spell (Divine Fire, Ice Spray, etc), sometimes you would get the bits you needed & others you wouldn't (I also noticed that I didn't always get experience for an AoE kill but that's another bug for another thread...).  If you really need parts of a particular monster I'd recommend killing it 1-1 (melee whack, arrow, firebolt, smite, etc).

Honestly though, I tried to avoid taking the 'go kill a monster' type of job board dispatch (& again this is completely different than a quest board/specifically scripted in quest).  You only have room for 4 jobs at a time & more often than not a couple of the available ones were of the 'show up & get some cash' types of jobs (deliver an important message to..., deliver a pair of rapiers to..., etc).  As new jobs are randomly added to each board every few days, you're 'never' going to clear all the jobs (again, jobs not quests), so you don't 'have' to take whatever's available in one city.  So in that case, why fill up a slot that will probably take close to a month (if not more) to fulfill?

Whatever, it's great to have this supply of available money throughout the game & not be so tightly scripted like in other SW games.  Want a certain type of training but can't afford it just yet?  Do a couple of jobs that were on the way towards where you were going next anyway & build up your bank acct.  And once you get the Recall Crystal (in combination with Ernest's teleporters), bouncing around to do a quick but high paying job is pretty easy.

You could try the dungeon near Golddale (where Ernest sends you after taking his book).  I doubt that either of the scripted ones in the top center respawn but there might be one (or more) down in the lower right.

North-east(ish) from the Slime Pit is the encounter where you help out a Dragon Lord against some upstarts.  Near there there is an outdoor encounter with a few drakes (who are slinking around looking for something - the DL). If you left them alone at the time, they still slink around even after helping out the DL (they won't respawn though if you killed them earlier)

The forest between Storm Port and Squiggus is predictably amazing for just about any undead bounty. Even had one random encounter that was a single zombie.

In around Squiggus I've seen random encounters of Ice Puddings and an encounter with some Troglos and a Rabid Hellhound. I fought those Troglos after dealing with the Sharimik quest, so the random encounters are still viable options for Rabid Hellhounds, unlike the scripted patrols.

Before being able to accuse the Dragons, there's some Drakes guarding their tunnels. They also randomly spawn in the forest between Marish and Calloc. That area is also not a bad source of undead.

Ursag: Confirmed respawn in the Golddale mine where they ambushed the Sliths.

I had two different bounties for revenants and, I spent forever walking around in two areas - between the bridge north of Storm Port and Squiggus;  and between Calloc and Marish.   Plenty of other types of undead, in fact probably any other kind I could think of, but no revenants in those groups after several IRL hours of walking around.

To get one of those I had to do something very specific:  go into the spiral crypt, open the hidden passage toward Gorvifal's Tomb in the middle, and hope there was a Revenant in the hallway there.  If not, leave the spiral crypt, go back in, repeat.  This was the only place in the game I managed to find a respawning revenant.  There won't be one in the circle around the crypt, only in the secret hallway leading into the middle.  Seemed like about a one out of three chance for the revenant to spawn there.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:35 PM, Sir Fred said:

The forest between Storm Port and Squiggus is predictably amazing for just about any undead bounty. Even had one random encounter that was a single zombie.

Once you clear Vo.. Vo... the vampire's tomb (...sigh, old man's memory...) though the undead in the area dissipate/don't respawn.  There are still a bunch in the Fading Tower area (again, if it hasn't been cleared) & also at the Inn up at the end of the mountain range (somewhat south of Spineridge), yet again if it hasn't been cleared out.  The woods south of Calloc are also good (along with the dungeon in the area - although that area may be a bit much until at least mid game)).  For lower level undead, the Spiral Crypt on the Isle of Bigial is usually pretty good.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, spy-there said:

Thank you for this topic, APV, much appreciated - I indeed found my revenant in the Spiral Crypt :)

Now I just ran around for ages to find a Beautiful Cloak and a Bag of Sugar (cause I sold them all). Is there somewhere a list of Items to Keep for Job Board Quests?

Right here. And I believe you can buy most (probably all) items for job board delivery quests from one merchant or another, including the ones wandering the world map.

12 hours ago, Minion said:

Right here. And I believe you can buy most (probably all) items for job board delivery quests from one merchant or another, including the ones wandering the world map.

I didn't mean the quest items, I meant mundane items as a make up pot, bellows or the aforementioned cloak and sugar. I knew that  some merchants sell these things, but had to search to find them again. I just thought that a list of upcoming job board items would be helpful. Then we could collect them for later when we stumble over them.
By the way, is there anybody in this game who needs my collection of Aranea fangs?

edit: found it; nobody wants the fangs ;_; Maybe I'll use them to decorate my mansion's garden :)

Edited by spy-there

55 minutes ago, spy-there said:

I didn't mean the quest items, I meant mundane items as a make up pot, bellows or the aforementioned cloak and sugar. I knew that  some merchants sell these things, but had to search to find them again. I just thought that a list of upcoming job board items would be helpful. Then we could collect them for later when we stumble over them.
By the way, is there anybody in this game who needs my collection of Aranea fangs?

edit: found it; nobody wants the fangs ;_; Maybe I'll use them to decorate my mansion's garden :)

I think there's so many mundane items that can be requested -  many, many, many more than the monsters (!!!) - that it would be easier to list things that WOULDN'T be asked for. Like rocks. 

Maybe we could collect a short list of item delivery tips, like the random item merchant locations and places which have free multiples of some of the asked-for items just lying about. I could probably try to do that some time. 

1 hour ago, spy-there said:

I forgot that it only lists non-board quest items, my bad. Besides, it's kind of fun to try to figure out where you can find the items, especially since surprisingly many of them are under the watchful eyes of their owners. For example, the drug den in Gale was the perfect place to pick up a pipe.

• 3 months later...

I cleared out the Spiral Crypt just before undertaking separate contracts for a Zombie and Skeleton. Been looking ever since. The vamp tower and the area around it was full of wights, ghosts, and skeleton types, but no actual humble skelly's or zombies.

Edit - literally the moment I typed this and went back to the game, I had a random encounter with a single skeleton. Woot. Now to find a zombie.

Editx2 - "Alakas Colony" (south of Calloc) has a guaranteed Eyebeasts + regular Skeleton spawn.

Edited by Xander77

• 3 months later...

Null Bug

In the murder cave north of New Formello (not sure if respawn)

With gremlins protecting the spell book in Squiggus (no respawn)

With gremlins protecting the Perfect Flower (no respawn)

I'm blanking on where else to find one. I have a quest for one which will soon expire. It's from Spineridge, the best town for courier quests. Any help?

Edited by Nobear

Nobear,

If you haven't cleared it out yet, up in Upper Avernum south of New Formello there is the chitrach lair that the mayor of NF wants cleaned out.  The final battle usually has a couple of null bugs.

I very vaguely, kinda sorta remember running into them up north of Caloc (didn't explore up there too much before winding the game up).  I wouldn't make a special trip up there to check but if you're in the general area anyway...

21 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

Nobear,

If you haven't cleared it out yet, up in Upper Avernum south of New Formello there is the chitrach lair that the mayor of NF wants cleaned out.  The final battle usually has a couple of null bugs.

I very vaguely, kinda sorta remember running into them up north of Caloc (didn't explore up there too much before winding the game up).  I wouldn't make a special trip up there to check but if you're in the general area anyway...

I'm level 31. I certainly cleared the bugs southwest of New Formello.

lol funny thing is north of Calloc is exactly where I am atm. I cleared the Chasm of Screams and Wainscoting, and just entered the Defiled Crypt. I'm thinking null bugs are big bad chitrachs, which are enemies of vahnatai, so it's a logical place to check. Thanks, I'll let you know if I find one!

Update: No null bugs in the Defiled Crypt, or anywhere north of Calloc, south of the Distant Cavern, and west of the Footracer mountains. idk if I'm ready to solo an artifact dungeon on Torment, but I guess I'll try next time I play. The Distant Cavern did seem like one of the easier artifact dungeons on my full party Torment run, aside from the puzzles (except Masok gives you the answers on a scroll).

Edited by Nobear

You were right. Thanks for the encouragement to keep exploring there.

The last fight of the Rakshasa Lair past the Defiled Crypt features two null bugs and two corrupted lizards, which are a pain. I summoned an Eyebeast and drank Invulnerability Potions. The fight became trivial once all four nullifiers were dead.

Edited by Nobear

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not sure if the Burrowing Crawler location is accurate. I fully cleared out the Caves under Castle Troglo for the first time, and I didn't see a single one. It was my first time there, so I don't believe it's a respawn issue.

Edit: For posterity, there's a single Burrowing Crawler in the Pabuloso Walls quest. Presumably it will not respawn. Also found a patrol of them around Calloc - that one probably does respawn.

Edited by Mechalibur