Fake Anama Rings

Hello. I was wondering if there were any downsides that were permanent that were caused by fake-joining the Anama, or if you could take advantage of all that the Anama offered (including quests and items that were previously unobtainable) and then get them destroyed and not miss out on anything as if you had never joined them (like joining the Divine Lucre, if you wanted to). Thanks.

AFAIK, there's no permanent consequences of buying the Fake Anama rings, other than the 2500-gold pricetag. You won't get access to EVERYTHING that way - specifically, the spellbooks and the altar at the main Anama-church in Shayder will recognize that you're faking and reject you (rather violently) if you try to use them. Regardless, once you dispose of the rings (by talking to Ahonar), any effects the rings had will seize - you won't get the cold shoulder from certain mages anymore, and it's even possible to join the Anama for REAL afterwards.

Mind, if you use the Fake Anama Rings to gain access to the Anama Vaults in their main temple in Shayder, THAT will have some fairly permanent consequences... namely, making that entire city permanently hostile to you, including Ahonar, which means that you can't use him to get rid of the rings, genuinely join the Anama, OR curse you of any Dread Curses you might pick up. (You can still use the rings to access the second floor of the temple, then dispose of them by talking to Ahonar, THEN rob the Vault and escape - but you better make damn sure you won't need Ahonar's help ever again before you do something like that!)

To be specific, you CAN still join the Anama for real after getting rid of the fake rings, but only if you let the altar in Shayder disintegrate them (which also gives you a Dread Curse).

On the other hand, if you dispose of the rings by directly talking to Ahonar, he understandably won't let you join the Anama afterwards (but you do avoid the Dread Curse). Overall, though, Ahonar is rather forgiving of it, as he is still willing to decurse you and teach you spells (at the original prices even) after catching you red-handed profaning his faith.

Ah, that's not something I checked on. Yeah, I talked to Ahonar to lose the rings. Although, there is something I wonder about after reaching the second floor of the temple. Why do the Anama leaders feel the need to spy on their followers while they are worshipping? It makes me wonder if they don't have some ulterior motive for their church...