Random Items Help!

Remington

Hey so I'm back at working on my new scenario and I wanted to ask if something is possible and how it works. So I'm trying to add random items to a specific town. I see the button option In the Scenario Tab to "Edit Item placement shortcuts" which helps.. but what I really want to do is, when you ENTER a town, can you make it add random items at random Every time you enter, like potions, food, herbs etc. If this is possible, how exactly would you go about this? If not I think this would be a great option to add in the future If possible and it's really the backbone of the type of game I'm trying to aim for. Thanks for any help in advance.

Ok so the almighty doer of stuff, what you suggested is exactly along the lines of what I'm trying for, It seems to work..atleast to the extent of what I understand..So here's what I did and what I want to do exactly, if you could help me more on this. I set the node in order to--> Random number--> then Place item, before I walk on the exact location that I set it doesnt show the item UNTIL i walk on that spot. I was hoping that the item would show up before I walk there..this I can work with if its not possible but IF it is possible that the item would be there already, that would be great. Here's my biggest problem at the moment.. and I dont completly understand why..it keeps repeating the node everytime I walk on the spot and more and more of the items I have set keep appearing. how do I make it END after the item that appears once goes there? I have messed around with it for hours so I atleast tried a few things before Im asking this..Im assuming its done with stuff done flags which I dont get at all..if you could go into detail about this or give me a exacmple it would make my day..

edit- lol went messing around and now im getting a error? whuttt? cant even open the scenario anymore

157nbx5.jpg

Edited by Remington

5 hours ago, Remington said:

Here's my biggest problem at the moment.. and I dont completly understand why..it keeps repeating the node everytime I walk on the spot and more and more of the items I have set keep appearing. how do I make it END after the item that appears once goes there? I have messed around with it for hours so I atleast tried a few things before Im asking this..Im assuming its done with stuff done flags which I dont get at all..if you could go into detail about this or give me a exacmple it would make my day..

It might help if you were to say what you tried and didn't work.  The first thing I would try is to put a "one time do nothing" in there before the item is placed.

I've not even looked at the nodes in ages, and can't claim to have mastered them at any time, though.

rh8jyf.png

Heres what I've been trying in order from left to right. I've put in "otherwise call this special" a "one time do nothing" with flags 1a and even 1b (or both) set at -1 or even 250 because I dont know what do to there AND i put it at the start before these two nodes, it still repeats the random number/place item nodes over and over, I've also put the "special to jump to" boxes and set those to "one time do nothing" after these and it still repeats. I seen and tried this option before I asked the last question..I just dont get it..am I doing somthing wrong with flags or is this just flat out bugged in some way?

edit- Also tried "One time and set" still repeats and I left the "otherwise call this special" and "special to jump to" at -1 or even just set to "no special" still repeats.

Edited by Remington

If you set the stuff done flags in any "one-time" node to something other than -1, that special will trigger exactly once and then never again... provided it's the first special node in a chain. If there's a white dot on the location, it will disappear.

You can probably "undo" this by using a "set sdf" node to set the same flag-pair to have a value of zero; it won't restore the white dot, but I think it would allow the special to be triggered. (So, just don't use a white dot if you want to do this.)

Incidentally, it sounds like you would benefit a lot from reading the BoE Editor documentation, which you can find a link to in the forum header.

vwu98y.png

Here's what I did, These are the only 3 nodes I have set, I havnt set any other flags or anything else just these three. I followed your one time node and put it in the front of the chain, it still doesn't end. something just isn't right here, I still dont understand the set sdf thing but Im trying to figure it out more as I type this. Also I've bookmarked and read both gamefaqs guide for scenario editor AND the BOE editor documentation..I wouldn't have even got this far without them so i'm atleast glad its there (even though alot of it is still confusing to me the way its worded.). I was skipping over the "one time nodes" and "if-thens nodes" when I first started messing around with the editor again, but now i'm starting to learn/study those a bit more (that's pretty much why I didn't use the "random number?" node to begin with. I've even changed a few things in the "stuff done flag 1a and 1b" to different numbers, the same numbers, left it at -1 but It still doesn't work and the items keep appearing when I step on the node over and over. Also the "special dot" that I made isn't disappearing either (and by that I mean the "place special spot" dot. Thanks so far for the replies but I must be missing out on something..does these pictures look right? if so then its just not working and its bugged.

Edited by Remington