Argh... I might have screwed myself over... >.<

So, I got to the Tower of Zkal, and found the tome of Summon Aid within. Problem is, you apparently have to read that book three times in order to pick up the spell, and the second time you read it, you get a Dread Curse for your troubles. Of course, you can get rid of a Dread Curse by talking to Ahonar in Shayder... but, oh wait, I robbed the Anama Vault ages ago. The whole city, nevermind Ahonar, are hostile to me. Well... ****.

Is there ANY way out of this? Any way to read the book without picking up a Dread Curse? Any other way to get Tier 3 of Summon Aid? Any other way to get rid of a Dread Curse? Any way to de-hostile Shayder? Or do I actually have to choose between going through the entire rest of the game with a Dread Curse, or never getting all of the spells maxed out?

Well, to be fair, as long as you don't piss off the Anama, getting rid of a Dread Curse is pretty easy. Ahonar doesn't even CHARGE for it. But yeah, it seems a bit steep - Summon Aid isn't even a top-tier spell, or anything.

I know there were two places to get it back in the original Avernum 3, but... the magic- and tome-system has changed a LOT since then, so that doesn't mean much. >_>

I also found it a bit weird that with all of the perfectly harmless level 3 spellbooks out there, Summon Aid penalizes your party in such a harsh way, costing no less than 750 total experience points if you decide to get rid of the Dread Curse.

Summoning spells have some of the least impressive level 3 upgrades anyway.

58 minutes ago, A Feast for Odintiradan said:

There is another Summon Aid level 3 spellbook, isn't there?

Definitely agreed that the upgrades are pointless for them (and the spells aren't that great to start with).

I don't believe there's a 2nd Summon Aid level 3 spell book. I do have a soft spot for summoned creatures, though, and even took traits to maximize their levels. Even though it's been a long time since I needed to summon any aid.

There is a Summon Aid level 3 in Tower of Zkal.

The Arcane Summon in Tower of Magi might be level 1 since I only used that once in early beta testing after I found out the extra special bonus you get when reading it. I would have to go back to find a save where I can test that.

...none of which changes the problem that you can't get to it without paying a steep price - an unpayable one, even, if you should have happened to piss off the Anama. >_> Bah...

Back in Avernum 3 and, I believe, Exile 3 as well, there was an alternative - a spellbook in Erox, way up in the northwest corner of Valorim. That, too, had a price attached, but a far more agreeable one. I suppose that's not there anymore, or maybe it's just being used for something different...

Edited by BlackDragon

That'll teach you to not bully the Anama. ;)

Nah, but it sucks how there's no alternative to get the 3rd level of Summon Aid. I guess you can offset the XP loss with a couple trips to Zang, though? As for summoning in general, I tended to use Simulacrum more than anything else; the Demon Golem was one of my favorites due to its nice ratio of party-friendly abilities to party-harming abilities.