Sign in to follow this  
BobbyZero

The Predator in Avernum?!

I might be wrong but... I think I found the Predator in Avernum EfTP :) Not just any predator but The Predator (Yautja) from the movies. It's far to the utmost north, northwest of Fort Draco in the Aranea caves behind two secret doors / switches. When you enter the small room you find: "There is a skeleton hidden at the end of this passage. It's very old, and it's definitely not human. It's a tall, very thin humanoid with a huge skull. You've never seen a creature like this before, and the bones are so old that they're practically crumbling to dust before your eyes. Very strange."

This description in itself does not imply that it is a Predator but what you find next to the remains is a "Strange cloak: a shimmering, translucent cloak, made for someone very tall and thin. You've never seen fabric like this before" and six Razordisks: "A disk with a razor-edge, made for throwing. It doesn't look like any human-made blade you've vere seen."

What do you think, am I reading too much into it? :D

While Jeff does put in pop culture references, that is definitely a Vahnatai corpse to help tie into the rest of the series.

I still need to learn about Vahnahtai in game, so far I hadn't run across any references about them except this corpse, I look forward to seeing who they are.

You won't find any more in Avernum 1, but Avernum 2 is significantly about them and from then on they're series regulars.

—Alorael, who is almost certain that the reference there didn't exist way back in Exile 1, as the idea of the vahnatai and sequels wasn't there yet.

jlsgaladriel likes this

Haven’t played Avernum, but in Exile: EftP there are 2 vahnatai dungeons (which reappeared in Exile 2) and a reference to them in the hint books.  Since I’m assuming E2 took more than a year to complete, I think Jeff was well aware of the sequels while designing E1.

5 minutes ago, Xiarrel-Te said:

Haven’t played Avernum, but in Exile: EftP there are 2 vahnatai dungeons (which reappeared in Exile 2) and a reference to them in the hint books.  Since I’m assuming E2 took more than a year to complete, I think Jeff was well aware of the sequels while designing E1.

Was that the original Exile: Escape from the Pit or the version with the updated graphics?

If someone who has played the original happens to read this, maybe they can enlighten us on the existence of the Vahnatai references.

There were actually two explicit Vahnatai references in Exile I (all versions, AFAIK):

1. The "Dark Cavern" dungeon (near Sss-Thsss) has Brethis, a shade, hidden in a secret passage.  He introduces himself as a member of the Vahnatai race.  (Brethis further identifies the undead in that dungeon as consisting of many debauched Vahnatai.)

2. There is a small dungeon in the Abyss (the same, IIRC, which connects Fort Haledon and Ornotha Ziggurat in E2) which contains a giant, impassable magic barrier along with the self-translating message: "HERE IS THE GRAVE AND HIDING PLACE OF THE VAHNATAI RACE - ONE DAY WE MAY RETURN TO RECLAIM OUR HOME WITH LOVE. UNTIL THEN WE SLEEP."

Gotta like the Predator idea though. Alien Beast vs. Predator, anybody?

I love all the foreshadowing in Avernum. Huge bonus to atmosphere. Of course, referencing the past also. It works both ways.

Having recently replayed the original game, I can attest that not only are the above clearly spoken two, there's also the barrier cave and the crypt of drath as inferred I think. On completion of the game, it also outright states that the Vahnatai will be explored in a follow up but I haven't seen the original-original games; when when I was a kid, I saw them in their post-Exile 3 iterations. Out of curiosity, is there anywhere the earlier versions can be found? I'm very curious to see their original forms.