Robbing the Anama - permanent hostility or not?

So, I'm plotting a heist at the Anama Temple in Shayder, using my brand-new, 2500-gold fake Anama Rings. Hey, gotta recoup my investment SOMEHOW, right? ;) Problem is, I know it'll make the whole city turn hostile on me. And I also know that the only way to get RID of these rings is to talk to Ahonar, the Anama bigwig who happens to be IN the city. I don't wanna be saddled with these things, getting the cold shoulder from every mage who spots them, for the rest of the game...

Does Shayder stop being hostile after a while? If so, 'bout how long does it take? Or is there some other way to get rid of the rings after you piss everyone in Shayder right off?

Once you use the fake rings to get past the barriers to the Anama-only area in Shayder, it stays accessible even after you get rid of the rings.

You can remove the fake rings one of two ways: ask Ahonar, after which you won't be able to join the Anama, or by praying at the altar, which also gives you a dread curse (which Ahonar can cure).

Caveat: last time I checked this was v1.0.

Okay, so... if Randomizer is correct, Shayder stays permanently hostile, making it impossible to talk to Ahonar. But apparently, you can also remove them by praying at the altar, which you COULD do by rushing past him, or killing him. But you get a Dread Curse if you do that. However, if memory serves, Ahonar isn't the ONLY person who can deal with one of those - can't the priest at the Tower of Magic handle it too?

If so, there IS apparently a way to get rid of the rings after pulling the heist... albeit one that involves either killing the charismatic head of the Anama, or tanking a lot of attacks from a very powerful, very high-level cleric...

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked. Mother Clarisse in the Tower of Magic claims that she COULD break the curse, but she doesn't feel like doing so because of reasons, so she tells you to go see Ahonar. So... unless I'm still missing some detail, it seems that the conclusion is that robbing the Anama Vault leaves you either permanently stuck with the Anama Rings, or permanently stuck with a Dread Curse...

EDIT TO THE EDIT: Waaaaait a minute... I've GOT it! It IS doable! You just have to go about it in a rather counter-intuitive way. Once you access the second floor of the Anama Temple, those barriers don't reappear until you leave the map, if then. So you open up the second floor, then you go to Ahonar and get him to destroy the rings, THEN you head back to the second floor and rob the vault. Not the most realistic way to pull off a heist, but at least it explains why everybody in the city immediately know that YOU did it. :whistle:

Edited by BlackDragon

Well, for anyone curious, the money and valuables you can find in the Anama Vault can cover the price of the fake Anama Rings... but not much more than that. You can get cheap training, herbs and potions while you have the rings, and then use the heist to recover those losses, but you're not gonna come away with any great profit. Hardly worth the hassle, really.

Also, AFTER doing all that, AND overwriting my save, I discovered that the Anama Rings (or actual membership) is needed for a mission near Lorelei. Which I'll now never, ever be able to complete. Bah. It's almost like some kind of, I dunno, 'divine punishment' or something... :(

13 minutes ago, BlackDragon said:

Also, AFTER doing all that, AND overwriting my save, I discovered that the Anama Rings (or actual membership) is needed for a mission near Lorelei. Which I'll now never, ever be able to complete. Bah. It's almost like some kind of, I dunno, 'divine punishment' or something... :(

Are you referring to the "Find Mundt" quest? That was 1 of the reasons I got the rings, so I could clear that quest off and then enter the 2nd level of the temple. Just the Extremely Cheap prices up there for some nice items makes it all worthwhile. Nothing in the vault worth the consequences, IMO.

I'm a little surprised you can complete Find Mundt w/out joining the Anama or getting the ring. When I, much earlier in the game, saw him in his little temple, but got bounced out by magic before I could talk to him, I thought I had made it back to the quest-giver to satisfy it. But I don't believe it was satisfied until I actually spoke w/ him, so maybe I missed a 3rd way to enter that shrine area he's in.

4 hours ago, Randomizer said:

The Find Mundt and Anama Compound quests can be done without joining the Anama or getting the rings. Only if you want to purchase stuff from them do you need rings.

I cleared the Mundt-quest while I had the rings, having remembered that sealed-off temple in Sharimik -  but I was, indeed, referring to the 'Anama Compound' one. If you approach it without the rings, they just give you a cold shoulder and completely ignore you - you never even find out that they're producing Wands for members only. See, I already knew about that, and their exorbitant prices, and I already have enough wands to outfit a full deck of Tarot-cards, so it held no interest for me.

But, what... you can still turn in that quest just from having visited the compound, even though they won't say two words to you if you aren't Anama? >_> Convenient!

• 2 years later...

I shouldn’t mention this but seeing as I’ve beaten all the series I’ve discovered let’s say a design flaw. This works in any one of the games. so if you find yourself needing to get past a certain area but don’t want to trigger a game mechanism like in this instance robbing the Anama and having the town angry at you. You won’t need the rings at all btw to rob them and I’ve done this personally. It works best if you find a smaller enclosed space but regardless it will work with some patience. (First) line your party to the very edge of the square you wish to enter but cannot. Works best when your party is in a straight line facing the square you wish to cross.  (Second) enter combat mode, cast haste first then make sure you have a mage in the back of your formation and cast illusions as many times you need to cover every square behind you and the tiles around you excluding the tile you wish to enter directly in front. Then when the squares at least surrounding your characters are filled go back to peace mode and it may not work the first time but your party will be propelled forward to the place you are trying to reach without any consequences. In general typically when you enter back to peace mode your party jumps around randomly but by filling the tiles around you, you control the direction your party jumps to when entering back to peace mode. Personally I don’t consider this cheating but more like smart maneuvering because the mechanisms are left intact also it usually takes several tries. I’ve done this method plenty times in multiple areas in all the series to get ahead early and quickly and take what I want without repercussions. I’ve never met a room I couldn’t raid the exact way I wanted to. enjoy 😉 

Hello Hotbutter,

Just to avoid any confusion, that little exploit you describe relates to the original Avernum games. This forum is for the updated version of these games, the ones released in the last few years. These new versions are quite different internally from their predecessors, and little loopholes like the one you described have been closed!

For what it’s worth, your exploit is well known around here. Summons aren’t actually necessary to make it work, by the way. It’s more about the party’s placement than how many squares around the party are occupied at the time. Take a look around on these forums for the ‘end combat glitch’. You’ll see that people have done some interesting things with it!