Joining the anama vs buying fake rings

You can only read in the upstairs Anama Temple the Divine Fire spell book with the fake rings. However the other books are level 1 for spells you will buy anyway before then.

I forgot if you get kicked out of the Anama temple in Lorelei and the Compound near Sharamik.

Overall joining for real is just if you want the Anama challenge of no mage spells.

• 1 month later...

After saving first, I just tried joining for real, getting the spells (already had all of 'em except Mass Healing/Curing and Divine Fire). Bought some stuff from the hidden guy upstairs, and then unjoined.

Looked like my mage spells were not restored when I unjoined. 

Therefore, not nearly worth it, IMHO. I reloaded and am going my merry way as a mage. I'll grab the fake rings when I find 'em just to get level 3 Divine Fire. I gather I don't get a Dread Curse if I just read that one book, shop from the merchant and don't rob their treasury (which I will do towards the end of the game, just because), if I'm reading this correctly?

Thanks!

In my experience, the best reason to join the Anama is the discounted training you can receive from Voorn in Bavner. Just make sure you have a lot of gold, buy the fake rings, have Voorn train you, grab as much loot as you can from the restricted areas in the main temple, and then have Ahonar destroy the rings. Even without the loot you will make back the money you paid to the guild and then some.

The fake rings didn't work for me.  I went to the temple and tried to go upstairs, but the magic barriers remained in place blocking my access.  I did not get a message about no access for non-Anama members, unlike when I tried before buying the fake rings.  Talking to Ahonar did result in the fake rings being destroyed.  Did anyone else experience this, and is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Dan

So it's a different problem, I guess--maybe a bug?   From an earlier save, wearing the fake rings, I tried moving into the magic barriers, and as before, they remained in place.  I made sure I was standing on the floor disks, first.  So when that failed, I had the alter destroy the fake rings, had Ahomar cure the resulting Dread Curse, and then joined the Anama, gaining the real rings.  Moving into the magic barriers with the real rings fails to remove the barriers, and the stairways remain blocked.  I tried all of the barriers, just to be sure.  Just wish there was another way to get L3 Divine Fire, as that's the only spell I lacked at the end of the game.

Regards,

Dan

3 hours ago, Sade said:

Yes, they are. Only the lame basic knowledge books in the Anama Temple require you to be real members.

Which is a bit weird, but there you go.

Imagine the fits of rage it would induce if you actually had to actually join the crazy cult everone loves to hate to get an otherwise unobtainable item or 3rd level spell. Since you can join the Anama for free, those basic knowledge books are simply a neat bonus if you actually want to play an Anama run.

• 2 weeks later...