A3: RW Can't reach area in SE corner of Grindstone Caverns

In Grindstone Caverns (one of the lower levels of the giant caves), there is a large area in the SE corner of the zone that I haven't been able to figure out how to reach. In the old Avernum 3, you could get there by walking through lava, and it was full of Dark Wyrms. In this version, I can't figure out how to get there anymore. Anyone know how to do this?

On 2/7/2018 at 7:41 PM, Golgolath said:

Thanks! Even when I was in that room pressing U to look for hidden switches, I STILL managed to miss it.

Shame there's no Dark Wyrms there in A3:EW. Those things were terrifying and very interesting to fight

Eh, unlike a lot of the substitutions in the Avernum Remakes, this one doesn't bug me all that much. I guess that's because I always kinda liked the Deep Stalkers (or whatever they were originally called if not that, BoE was a looong time ago) from the Za-Khazi Run. I like the design, and the concept is pretty cool.

That said, part of me does still miss the original colossal writhing horrors with Death Star laser breath.

6 hours ago, Kennedy said:

Has anybody made a script to make the hidden switches more visible like there was for other  Spiderweb games?

I don't know the answer to that, but I will say, the switches--except for this particular one--are pretty damn visible in this game. Which is much appreciated!

Just get in the habit of hitting "u" as you wander around (especially if you think there is a hidden area nearby (as Jeff really likes to fill up the space in his maps)).  If there is anything to "use" nearby it will show up on the screen for you to go use.  But yes, hidden switches on that particular type of brick was are near impossible to see.  I remembered that there was a secret pocket in Ft. Emergence (from A3) with a couple of potions.  It took using "u" to finally find it even after looking hard in the area I thought it was supposed to be in.  However they are pretty obvious on most other wall types so I doubt that anyone will write a script for them like was needed in Avadon 1.