Question about level 3 spells in Ruined World

Forgive me if this is a dumb question of sorts, I played far too much Avernum and not a lot of the re-remakes. I'm currently playing avernum 3:ruined world and have a question about how the level 3 spells work.

If I'm not mistaken in avernum 6? you could level spells up to level 8 or something instead of the usual 3, in the orignal avernum trilogy you needed to know the spell at level 1 or 2 before you could learn the level 3 version, but in the re-remake how does this work exactly? Is the cap level 3 for each spell? Does it matter whether you buy the spell from a trainer first or use the level 3 book? I'm just worried I might be gimping myself by not doing what you can do with skills and pointing to max and then training for extra levels afterwards.

The remakes go back to the older spell system of the first trilogy where each spell level adds a bonus of either extra damage or a different effect.

You can learn spells in any order of buying from a trainer or reading from a spell book. However some spells have spell books that only give you the first level that you could by from a trainer. This means that if you have gotten it from a trainer, the spell book won't raise your level.

For instance the Sharamik reward for the Castle Troglo scroll will give you level 1 of Dispel Barrier, but you could have bought it from trainers later in the game. The third level spell book is in another location.

Also, trainers can only teach you two levels of a spell.  In order to get to level three you need both the training and the book.  For example you could learn Level 1 of Dispel Barrier from the "Level 3" Spell book and then a trainer can teach you levels two and three of Dispel Barrier, or your could learn Level 1 from a trainer, Level 2 from the "Level 3" Spell book and then Level 3 from a trainer, etc.