Avernum 3 - Ruined World

whitedovenz

Hey,

So I finally finished Avernum 3 - Warborn and was super looking forward to playing Avernum 3 - Ruined World only to find that the resolution settings are completely screwy.  I have a brand new gaming laptop with the specs below and should be able to run the game with resolution setting - 3840 X 2160 as that's the recommendation but if i don't start it in windows mode I can't see half the screen.  And when I do start it in windows mode I can't max it out on the screen so I see the desktop background which is annoying.

Operating System:  Windows 10

Processor:  Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81GHz

RAM:  16GB

System Type:  64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Graphics Card:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Downloaded game from Steam. 

Anyone else having this issue or is anyone able to offer a solution?

Thanks,

Chenoa

Earlier today I downloaded the demo and was having the same issue. After playing around with my settings, I found a solution:

Right-Click on your "Avernum 3" desktop icon, select properties, and go to the "Compatibility" tab.  In here, check the box next to "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application". Save and close the box. Now run the game and see if it fixes the problem. It will show the box in the widescreen, rather than it being fit to the size of your screen - this is because the game is trying to upscale the box to match the size of your screen, which causes the overlap.

Hopefully Spiderweb will come out with a way to fix this permanently and stretch to scale widescreens instead of upscaling the standard resolution.  

Edited by Treebeard313
spelling

Thanks - partial fix.  At least I can see the whole screen now but it's TINY!!  It's a little box about 10cm across in the middle of my screen (not windowed mode) so now I have to work out correct resolution.  Any ideas?  In the meantime I'm playing in Windows mode but it's a super pain the behind and unfortunately is taking away some enjoying from the game (which by the way is MASSIVE!!).

Cheers,

Chenoa

You said your default resolution is 3840x2160 - I would recommend down-scaling the resolution on your laptop either in-game or with the box that pops up prior to the game launching (not sure how this works with Steam). According to https://bneijt.nl/pr/resolution-scale-calculator/, you have a few options. You can start with 2560x1440, or try 1920x1080 (this is what I'm running). Try it and let me know!

Thanks - all a bit better than original size but none seem to be full screen.  I didn't have an option for 2560 X 1440.  Perhaps I just need to try every setting and see which one is the biggest.  It's a shame because it's the first time I've had this issue on any of Spiderweb's games.  So far no response from Jeff - would be nice if they could come out with a fix.  If you have any further ideas let me know but it's a bit of a 50/50 if I just play in windows mode like I have been doing (at least it's mostly full screen!!) or whether I reduce my game window substantially and play non-windowed.......

Thanks,

Chenoa

This is an issue with Avernum 2 and Avadon 3 as well. Even after setting the game area to "Large," the game does not fill the screen at any resolution higher than 1920x1080. Jeff has stated this is because of problems that can happen when the game area is larger than that. It's very annoying for me, since I have a 21:9 monitor. Even if I scale it down to 2560x1080 from the native 3440x1440, It still doesn't completely fill the screen. 

Edited by Tyranicus

19 hours ago, whitedovenz said:

Thanks - all a bit better than original size but none seem to be full screen.  I didn't have an option for 2560 X 1440.  Perhaps I just need to try every setting and see which one is the biggest.  It's a shame because it's the first time I've had this issue on any of Spiderweb's games.  So far no response from Jeff - would be nice if they could come out with a fix.  If you have any further ideas let me know but it's a bit of a 50/50 if I just play in windows mode like I have been doing (at least it's mostly full screen!!) or whether I reduce my game window substantially and play non-windowed.......

Thanks,

Chenoa

Did some more testing - Running the setting change that I made in my first post (DPI setting override) at 1920x1080, then changing the setting for "Game Area Size" to Large  sets it to widesceen on my PC. Try this and let me know if it makes it any better - otherwise we might have to see if we can get Jeff in on this and see why resolutions higher than 1080p have a hard time using the full screen. 

Avernum 1 runs at 2560x1440 on my desktop monitor (Geneforge 5 works, too).

However, Avernum 2 and Avernum 3 don't go above 1920*1080 in full-screen mode. The blurry text is somewhat annoying.

1920*1200 works - either in windowed mode or upscaled with thin black bars left and right.

Selecting 1920*1440 or 2560*1440 gives a 1920*1200 game area with thin black bars top and bottom and thick black bars left and right. At least text is sharp then.

14 hours ago, Treebeard313 said:

Did some more testing - Running the setting change that I made in my first post (DPI setting override) at 1920x1080, then changing the setting for "Game Area Size" to Large  sets it to widesceen on my PC. Try this and let me know if it makes it any better - otherwise we might have to see if we can get Jeff in on this and see why resolutions higher than 1080p have a hard time using the full screen. 

Yes that seems to work the best for me too.  Thanks for testing this and coming up with it.  Very happy to keep playing this.  All slightly smaller for me than normal but totally playable.  By the way, I'm not sure how far into it you are but I'm about 28 hours now playing it (actual time spent in Steam) and I have so much to do and so much of the world still to explore.  I suspect this will be another 300+ hours game for me to be honest.....well worth the money that Spiderweb charges....

Thanks again,

Chenoa