So the two people I've found who talk about horses but do not rule them out except perhaps in Kriszan province are teasers to make those of us who have played since Exile 3 waste our time?

Good to know I can outpace the faster roaming monsters on foot though, the point of the horses in previous versions. Still, I thought it a nice surface benefit touch, you get horses and a mansion. The Mansion even has grass out front to leave them on and trees to tether them to. You just had to remember to leave them somewhere when doing the vanishing tower.

Slightly saddened now.

I'm also a little sceptical about the idea that our heroes can outpace alien beasts on foot, let alone giants. Down in Avernum you can imagine outpacing giants because they have to crouch occasionally in the tunnels. But on the surface?

It does not compute.

Mind you the anatomist in me wants to know how Rentar Ihrno manged to solve the problems inherent in a vertebrate hexapod. Though it looks like she lengthened the body axis to fit the middle pair in. If you lengthen the lumbar spine you can just use another pelvis arrangement.

12 hours ago, Edgwyn said:

I read a book that had an alien species with trilateral symmetry.  I spent some time trying to figure out how that would work before giving up.

They once existed in real life! Probably less practical for something that needs to move around on land a lot, though.

13 hours ago, Lilith said:

They once existed in real life! Probably less practical for something that needs to move around on land a lot, though.

I did not know that they had existed in even an aquatic version.  In this particular book they were somewhat humanoid bringing up your comment about something that has to move around on land.