FeirosAz

Trying to replace the characters portraits with my own artwork

Hey everyone, new user here. 

So as the title says, i'm trying to replace the in game Geneforge 1 character art with some of my own artwork but the game is giving me a crash. :(

Each of my drawings are bmp's with the the exact dimensions as the originals(124x231). Any ideas? 

alhoon likes this

Hey there! Welcome to Spiderwebsoftware. Tradition goes that you gotta leave Your sanity on the doorstep. :)

Okay, so, I'm not a master of modifying Geneforge (never played them much), but are you sure You have the same color-settings as the game files have? I seem to remember having to dabble with the save-options when I did the same kind of replacing for Avernum I, II and III back in the day. It was something like changing the format from (or to) 16-bit color or 24-bit color. I'll go check the game files after posting this, but hopefully someone will have replied with a more accurate, knowledgeable and helpful comment by the time I come back.

EDIT 1: Okay, I tried some field tests with Avernum III as I had it handy. Geneforge I is now installing as we speak in the background. In A3, as long as the file format was 24-bit .bmp -file, the game launched and showed the character art just fine, even a red text "ADVENTURER" I wrote with a brush in Microsoft Paint.

EDIT 2 and 3: Got it to work! Geneforge 1 (at least) seems to require 256-color bitmap, instead of 24-bitmap. Do you want to try saving the file in a different format yourself, or want me to send the file over?

Edited by Zaego
Just adding a creepy smile. Okay now it sounds really freakish. I done goofed.

27 minutes ago, Zaego said:

EDIT 1: Okay, I tried some field tests with Avernum III as I had it handy. Geneforge I is now installing as we speak in the background. In A3, as long as the file format was 24-bit .bmp -file, the game launched and showed the character art just fine, even a red text "ADVENTURER" I wrote with a brush in Microsoft Paint.

NICE! Thanks a lot. Downgrading the colors to 256 Did the trick for Geneforge 1. I'll try to color the characters with that limitation in mind from now on, at least for the games based in the old engine.

Thanks again Zaego! :cool:

Anytime, friend. If there are any hickups, you know where to come. Happy adventuring! :)

By the way, so you know, there is actually a graphics mod that someone made for Geneforge 1. You may find it useful for reference on which things change what.

55 minutes ago, TheKian said:

By the way, so you know, there is actually a graphics mod that someone made for Geneforge 1. You may find it useful for reference on which things change what.

Looks perfect, thanks.