Sign in to follow this  
wackypanda

A2:CS - No magic playthrough

Posted (edited)

Inspired by Learned Noremac's no-magic run of A:EftP. No coherent strategies for now, just thinking out loud.

With no Resistance or Arcane Lore training and no items that cure mental effects, this may be a bit of a non-starter. :p

Has anyone ever observed Sanctification Scrolls curing mental effects, or am I misremembering?

Edited by wackypanda

Posted (edited)

Thinking out loud again.

Sanctification Ritual scrolls don't cure mental effects. It doesn't seem as if any item does. In my last run I had my non-spellcasters wear their mental effect resistance gear all the time, which got them to >60% mental resistance at the endgame. I don't know if there is enough mental armor for four. Human PCs can conceivably burn traits on INT and Luck to improve mental resistance.

How many enemies are immune to physical damage?

Weapons that can inflict non-physical damage (to different degrees of usefulness):

- Flaming Sword

- Frozen Blade - in A2:CS works like the Flaming Sword instead of using INT for to-hit like A:EftP

- Bow of Storms

- Oozing Sword

- Venomous Blade

- Ever-Rotting Bow

- Jade Halberd

If I recall correctly, none of the swords in this list can be dual-wielded with each other.

Whoever is the HM lore slave also has to burn 4 skill points to get 2 Arcane Lore for the portal ritual.

Edited by wackypanda

Will try a party of one dual-wielder, one spearman, and two archers, all human. Two or more dual-wielders would be much more effective in the late game, but painful in the early game (even when using single swords without shields). Two archers because there seem to be more dungeons in A2:CS where ranged enemies snipe you.

Most of them will have skill points or traits for Luck and Intelligence, because those are the only ways I can think of to raise mental resistance other than items. With traits, the more relevant ones will have already been taken.

Otherwise most of the strategies from the A:EftP thread should apply, e.g. buying First Aid, hoarding food etc.

Intended end-game builds (not counting trained points):

Urist (Dual-wielder)

10 Melee

10 Hardiness

10 Parry

10 Blademaster

8 Quick Action

7 Dual Wielding

8 Lethal Blow

Traits: STR x5, END x5, Health x3, Mighty Blows x3, Dual Blade x2, Parry Mastery x2, Fortune x2, INT x2

Lokum (Spearman)

8 Pole

10 Hardiness

10 Parry

10 Blademaster

10 Quick Action

10 Lethal Blow

5 Luck

Traits: STR x5, END x5, Health x3, Mighty Blows x3, Backstab x3, Parry Mastery x2, Fortune x2, INT x1

Feb (Archer 1)

10 Bow

10 Sharpshooter

10 Lethal Blow

10 Gymnastics

10 Sniper

2 Priest

2 Arcane Lore (needed for portal ritual)

3 Tool Use

5 Luck

1 Cave Lore

Traits: Negotiator x1, Nimble Fingers x2, DEX x5, END x5, Health x3, Sure Aim x3, Fortune x2, INT x3

Egdoth (Archer 2)

Weapon skills as above

7 Tool Use

5 Luck

1 Cave Lore

Traits as above