Necris Omega

Avernum/Exile Fan Art - Alien Blade Redux

Zaego   

I like the second one better, too. It feels a bit less "messy", if that makes sense. Like the blade and the metalwork looks more smooth and less demonic than in the first rendition. 

Edgwyn   

They both look really good.  I like the gem in the blade of the 2nd for basically what TriRodent said, but I prefer the blade design of the first one as the first one seems more like a realistic sword (I know this is a fantasy, but . . .), so I would say the first one with the gem added.

miz0n3   
20 hours ago, Edgwyn said:

They both look really good.  I like the gem in the blade of the 2nd for basically what TriRodent said, but I prefer the blade design of the first one as the first one seems more like a realistic sword (I know this is a fantasy, but . . .), so I would say the first one with the gem added.

+1 from me. Excellent work!

I was also with Edgwyn, but then on closer inspection I found the first one looking like a short wavy blade in front and a longer one behind, perfectly aligned with the view perspective so at a glance it looks like a single blade. Now I can't unsee it as a weird double sword and prefer the second one.

—Alorael, who actually thinks he likes the wavy blade more then the spiraling one. But only one wave or his brain hurts.

The first one reminds me more of a piece of driftwood with a handle than a sword. Too pale and texturey. The second one is awesome though. I've always loved the Alien Blade and I'm pleased to see a really nice rendering of it. I've never actually acquired it or seen its lore in the main games, but it's available in BoE and I liked it. In the original BladBase.exs it didn't have the poison dripping ability accidentally, but I still liked it.