Avernum: Escape from the pit glitches

grantupton98

1. Game- Avernum: Escape From the Pit

2. OS- Windows 8

3. Distribution- Steam

5. Unmodded

Hey guys,

So I recently downloaded Escape from the Pit, and until today it worked just fine. However, when I opened it today, while I could still play the game, the junk bag no longer worked (it was filled completely with crude daggers named "Unused") and keyboard shortcuts no longer worked. I have already un- and reinstalled the game, issues remain. Any thoughts?

Note: If I had to cite a possible cause, it would be this- my laptop has no battery, so when I move it around, I have to fully unplug it. This usually means that when I have Avernum open, I have to quickly ctrl+s - enter to save, wait for confirmation, then pull the plug. Maybe this corrupted the file?

Hello grantupton98,

This is a bug that a few people have reported in Escape from the Pit (and other games too). Unfortunately, it happens quite rarely, and no-one has yet come up with a fix. No-one is actually sure what causes the problem yet, either.

What we do know is that this is a problem related to a corrupted save file. If you start the game and load either an earlier save, or start a new game, you shouldn't have any problems. However, the particular save file you're trying to use will remain corrupted, I'm afraid, even if you reinstall the game.

If you're not too far into the game, it might just be easier to start again. A new game shouldn't have this problem. While this isn't ideal, I know, to protect against losing progress in future, try saving into different save slots often. Then, if the problem occurs again, you can go back to an earlier save without losing too much progress.

If you don't want to loose your progress, though, I have a hunch about something that might work – I can't test it myself, though, so I can't guarantee that it will work! First, locate your save file. It should be in a folder named something like Save0 in 'Avernum Saved Games'. Before you do anything, create a copy of this folder and put the original somewhere safe. If anything goes wrong, you can just put the original back and everything will work as it did before. Now, create a new game and save it in a different slot (say, slot 1). Go into your corrupted save file folder and replace the 'items' file with the one from your newly created game. This could, if I'm thinking correctly, solve your problem – although it will probably also delete most of your party's items in the process. Still, if it works, at least you'll be able to proceed – and you can always buy items to replace those you lost, or replace them using the Character Editor.

Sorry not to be more helpful!

5 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello grantupton98,

This is a bug that a few people have reported in Escape from the Pit (and other games too). Unfortunately, it happens quite rarely, and no-one has yet come up with a fix. No-one is actually sure what causes the problem yet, either.

What we do know is that this is a problem related to a corrupted save file. If you start the game and load either an earlier save, or start a new game, you shouldn't have any problems. However, the particular save file you're trying to use will remain corrupted, I'm afraid, even if you reinstall the game.

If you're not too far into the game, it might just be easier to start again. A new game shouldn't have this problem. While this isn't ideal, I know, to protect against losing progress in future, try saving into different save slots often. Then, if the problem occurs again, you can go back to an earlier save without losing too much progress.

If you don't want to loose your progress, though, I have a hunch about something that might work – I can't test it myself, though, so I can't guarantee that it will work! First, locate your save file. It should be in a folder named something like Save0 in 'Avernum Saved Games'. Before you do anything, create a copy of this folder and put the original somewhere safe. If anything goes wrong, you can just put the original back and everything will work as it did before. Now, create a new game and save it in a different slot (say, slot 1). Go into your corrupted save file folder and replace the 'items' file with the one from your newly created game. This could, if I'm thinking correctly, solve your problem – although it will probably also delete most of your party's items in the process. Still, if it works, at least you'll be able to proceed – and you can always buy items to replace those you lost, or replace them using the Character Editor.

Sorry not to be more helpful!

Awesome, thanks!

• 4 months later...

PRE: "Bug" in Game- Avernum: Escape From the Pit

2. OS- Windows 10

3. Distribution- Steam

5. Unmodded

YOYO,

Whenever I summon a monster outside of battle and then start a battle with something next to me, my summon turns against me at the start of battle, there are no charms being cast. Could this be fixed for others in a patch please?