Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

Huzzah! I'm *almost* Dr. Triumph!

Triumph   

Earlier today, six years and month or so after I started my PHD program, I finished the complete draft of my dissertation and sent it out to my committee. My major professor has already looked at it and said he likes it, so really nothing should stop me from graduating with my PHD this December (in my department, the dissertation defense is largely a formality, and if my major professor like my dissertation - as he does - then I will pass). The past several years have been really rough, physically and emotionally, and I've often doubted whether this day would ever come. But here it is! :D:D:D

Congratulations, near-doctor! Despite the name, a terminal degree is just the beginning.

—Alorael, who confesses to not being certain of the field. What have you disserted on?

Congratulations and it's all down hill from here.

Don't be disappointed if the committee doesn't stay awake during your defense.

Triumph   

As Slarty so punningly suggests, I studied history. My dissertation looks at the  wartime experiences / ideology / attitudes of junior officers in one of the Union armies in the Civil War.

The most fun I've seen at dissertation defenses is when the members of the committee start arguing with each other while the doctoral candidate quietly watches. Well, that and when the random professor who wasn't on the committee but showed up anyway asks a question completely out of left field that has absolutely no bearing on the dissertation, and you get to watch the candidate try to figure out how to diplomatically say "That's a dumb question that makes no sense in this context."

Well, if the congrats from a random stranger on the internet mean anything.... congrats \o/

/which army?  I've got some long dead relatives who were jr officers in one of the Iowa regiments

Triumph   

The Army of the Tennessee.

(For anyone wondering, the Army of THE Tennessee was a Union army named for the Tennessee River; nearly all Union armies were named after rivers. There was also a Confederate army called the Army of Tennessee, named for the state.)

Edgwyn   

Contgratulations.  The Army of the Tennessee certainly saw far more of the country than most of its soldiers could ever have imagined.