• Announcements

• Una Corda and Truth

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
Thralni

Another simple question: dialog node limit?

Thralni   

Hello all,

I come to you with another rather simple question, but to which I can't seem to find the answer. Is there a limit to the amount of dialog nodes you can have in a  dialog script? And if so, what is that limit?

Thanks,

Thralni

Hello Thralni,

I've just had a quick check, and apparently the maximum number of dialogue nodes is 200 per script. There's a comment about it in the editor documentation, although it's hidden away amongst other details. Here's a line from the section 'How a Dialogue Node Is Structured':

"Each dialogue script can have up to 200 nodes, numbered 0 to 199."

This was something I was interested in many years ago when I was tentatively designing a small scenario. This scenario involved one town with several slightly different copies of all of the town's characters, resulting in a very large number of dialogue nodes (probably pushing 200). However, I didn't get far enough to write the full dialogue, so I haven't actually tested this limit myself yet.

Thralni   
1 hour ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello Thralni,

I've just had a quick check, and apparently the maximum number of dialogue nodes is 200 per script. There's a comment about it in the editor documentation, although it's hidden away amongst other details. Here's a line from the section 'How a Dialogue Node Is Structured':

"Each dialogue script can have up to 200 nodes, numbered 0 to 199."

This was something I was interested in many years ago when I was tentatively designing a small scenario. This scenario involved one town with several slightly different copies of all of the town's characters, resulting in a very large number of dialogue nodes (probably pushing 200). However, I didn't get far enough to write the full dialogue, so I haven't actually tested this limit myself yet.

Man I read over that chapter at least ten time and I still missed it. Thanks for pointing it out! I have this one town where I'm at dialog node 186, so I'm starting to push it. There also a traveling companion that reserves nodes 190-199... Oh well. I'll make it work.

Thanks for reminders too, Dinti!

nikki.   

If you have any states that call other town states, it might be worth having them call scenario states instead. Might be able to squeeze a few more out that way.

Thralni   
40 minutes ago, freezing hands and bloodless veins said:

If you have any states that call other town states, it might be worth having them call scenario states instead. Might be able to squeeze a few more out that way.

Hm, I hadn't considered that. I'll see if I can use it to my advantage somewhere, somehow. Though I think it should be fine. I realized I left open a bunch of nodes along the script, just in case I need to go back to another character and add something. I could always use those (though having to renumber all the nodes will be a tremendous pain)

Kelandon   
4 hours ago, freezing hands and bloodless veins said:

That is a completely different limit, though.